Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

What's in your magazine rack?

I was thinking today that it's possible to tell a lot about me from the magazines I've bought over the years. So, with a few moments to spare, I rummaged around my main magazine rack, and here's what I found:

Petersen's Photographic, July 2003
2005 milk calendar. (I need to clear this thing more often.)
Digital Photographer, July 2004. Bought for a test of my F828.
National Geographic, February 2005.
Photo Life, May and September 2004. (At least anther few issues around the house, and four more at work.)
Maxim, March 2005. It was a promotional copy, and had an article for my Editor-in-Residence. Honest.
Watch Time, August 2004 and Breguet Special Edition.
Digital Photo, June 2004. Another report on my F828.
Shutterbug, December 2003. It's so old, it has a big ad for my E-1.

...old magazines are great.

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

I have a dozen issues of the PSA journal, a couple of well thumbed FHM magazines and assorted Digital Photographers.

The current issues of Digital Photo Pro and Outdoor Photographer. I keep the DPPs, but OP gets tossed when the new one comes in.

Sometimes I wonder why I buy the mags... all the news I read on the net is way more current and is right at my fingertips, but somehow the glossy pages has a certain draw to it. And having a mag makes you want to read every single word on the pages (sometimes I just gawk at all the ads too...)

Anyone do that, or is it just me? Big Grin

I don't buy magazines... any magazine... It is not that I don't like them... but somehow I don't have time to read them... I find more entertaining to be in the computer... However, I bought one magazine this year... It was in Italy and it is about interior decoration... I bought it because of the pictures... I don't know if I am wrong, or not, but I think Italians have a very special photography... and I like it a lot...

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

shuttertalk Wrote:Sometimes I wonder why I buy the mags...

Could it be we buy them because taking the laptop to the smallest room in the house might be frowned upon? Big Grin

EnglishBob Wrote:

Could it be we buy them because taking the laptop to the smallest room in the house might be frowned upon? Big Grin

And the Game Boy makes too much noise.

Big Grin

Popular Photography. I don't like their website but I love the magazine. I've ben reading it since 1964.

Nikon D3100 with Tokina 28-70mm f3.5, (I like to use a Vivitar .43x aux on the 28-70mm Tokina), Nikkor 10.5 mm fisheye, Quanteray 70-300mm f4.5, ProOptic 500 mm f6.3 mirror lens. http://donschaefferphoto.blogspot.com/

I usually have a copy of Mountain Bike, Mountain Bike Action, Bicycling or Shutterbug under the table. There was a time when you'd see Professional Boatbuilder too but I'm not into that field anymore. I pretty much stopped buying mags too like Julian says, it's all online anyway. The main reason being though, they're full of advertisements.

Sit, stay, ok, hold it! Awww, no drooling! :O
My flickr images

shuttertalk Wrote:Sometimes I wonder why I buy the mags... all the news I read on the net is way more current and is right at my fingertips, but somehow the glossy pages has a certain draw to it.

I wonder the same thing. I bought another copy of Shutterbug today; other than being able to compare the reviews of the Rebel and Rebel XT side-by-side, there's no need for it. That magazine in particular is the Muzak of photographic information. It's bland, pleasant, non-offensive and entertaining. I mostly read magazines at work, and I just wanted something easy that doesn't require any thought.

I also bought the current edition of Watch Time, something that I haven't picked up in a year. (I work for a watch manufacturer.) It's nice to keep up with the industry, and it's amazing what changes...

A friend of mine commented that you can identify a good magazine when the ads are as good as the copy. I'd add that you can tell a bad magazine when the copy is as bad as the ads.

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

A thousand brochures from different kitchen supply places - undergoing a major reno...a copy of BMW magazine (not that I am buying another one anytime soon),
the latest Rolling Stone (my son's) and a bunch of bills to pay..

EnglishBob Wrote:

It depends on whether someone else needs either one...
... but wireless internet is great.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post