Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Urban Exploring...

I seem to have a bit of a fascination (fetish??) for old abandoned buildings I think, especially industrial stuff. The bigger and more industrial the better as far as I'm concerned.. the idea of standing in a massive room full of vandalised, huge, rusty machines who's original purpose totally escapes me is like a kid walking into a toyshop for me.
In the same way that many people will say that "the book is better than the movie" about many stories because you need to use your imagination when reading a book, so to I think an old abandoned building can be better than one still in use because you need to use your imagination to fill in the gaps and imagine all the stories that happened in these places and the people that used them.

Anyway, it seems I'm not the only one! Big Grin

I found a couple of useful resources for the "Urban Explorers" amongst us.. and it seems to be MUCH broader than just the few things I'm interested in.
I can't say I really feel the urge to go exploring drains and such that many of them do, but they make interesting reading anyway and have some useful info for anyone planning on doing this kind of stuff.

The first link (http://www.infiltration.org/) states the following at the top of their homepage:
Infiltration.org Wrote:Infiltration offers a mix of the practice and theory of urban exploration in areas not designed for public usage. This site is the online companion of the paper zine about going places you're not supposed to go. The latest issue of the zine, focusing on military leftovers, came out in June 2005. It's black and white, but you might like it anyhow.
It then states in its "Ethics" section:
Infiltration.org Wrote:Genuine urban explorers never vandalize, steal or damage anything — we don't even litter. We're in it for the thrill of discovery and a few nice pictures, and probably have more respect for and appreciation of our cities' hidden spaces than most of the people who think we're naughty. We don't harm the places we explore. We love the places we explore.

While Infiltration provides a bit of a how-to guide, the second link (http://www.opacity.us/) is more of a gallery to show off some beautiful (and sometimes chilling) urban ruins.
Its homepage says the following:
Opacity.us Wrote:This site is dedicated to documenting various abandoned places through both text and photographs; recording their transformations through time before they are demolished. The abundance of abandoned asylums and psychiatric hospitals in the New England area create the bulk of the locations here; these beautiful state funded structures are vast and complex, giving insight to both the humanity and mistreatment towards the mentally ill over the past two centuries

Its amazing how decay can be so beautiful. Smile

Adrian Broughton
My Website: www.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
My Blog: blog.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
You can also visit me on Facebook!
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Einstein.

Thanks for the facinating link. Some inspirational shots.

I loved the abandoned snow resort with moss and weeds growing in the soggy carpet:

http://www.opacity.us/gallery2.htm

Canon 50D.
Redbubble

Inspirational indeed.

I have to go find some new places to shoot. Smile

Adrian Broughton

Some countries in Europe are good places to visit I think... I have a contact from Sarajevo... and he has very interesting pictures... Some of them of course are the remains of the war... Sarajevo was a very cultural city... its buildings were really architectural jewels... Some of them were debastated and the pictures are awesome... Some others were not stricken by the war but the haven't been renewed since the goverment doesn't have money or probably thinks it isn't worth to rebuilt those buildings...

About Germany, as far as I have seen, Germans have a special affection for old buildings and keeping them as new... I really haven't seen abandoned buildings in the places I have been to...

Here is a Castle we were in July this year... The construction of the castle was finished in 1407 and it is in perfect conditions... In this case what makes them interesting... is to see that they are very old and still they are as beautiful as in the past...

Interesting picture Adrian... Thanks for the link.... Smile

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

I have come across this on the net before, and thought that it was mighty cool!

Just the thought of going somewhere where people don't usually see, and walking amongst decaying, decrepit machinery and buildings sounds very adventurous! I think I'm too chicken though, to go by myself anyway.

You'd definitely take a friend though wouldn't you? It's only safe, just in case someone got injured...

This infiltration thing has quite a following in Vancouver. It seems pretty cool but maybe a little too much breaking and entering involved.

Wow Irma.. I can only imagine what it would be like doing this kind of exploration through a war-torn city. It would be both amazing and heart-breaking at the same time I would think. :/

That is also great to see old buildings kept in great shape like the example you gave. That is simply beautiful. The contrast between the small amount of Europe I've seen and Australia is really highlighted when you examine things like architecture, due to our very short history of western culture (we don't have any buildings older than about 200 years).

And ST, yeah I'd definately suggest going with a friend if possible... And if you absolutely must go alone then take a mobile phone with you and limit what you do and where you go.. stick to the ground floor of buildings and assume that everything you touch (including any floor or stairs or ramps you walk on) could crumble away or break. Also make sure somebody knows where you are and what time to expect you back.

I was supposed to go with a friend yesterday but he cancelled at the last minute. Although I did still go alone, I didn't do half of what I wanted to do because I was alone, and to his credit my friend rang me later to make sure I got home OK.

And Toad, I agree that some of what's on that infiltration.org site does push the boundaries past where I'd be comfortable going (speaking morally) and into the realms of tresspass.
But I guess it comes down to examining your own ethics, trying to see it from the point of view of whatever authority owns the property you want to explore, and then using common sense if you are going to do anything like this.
Sadly I think often the owners probably wouldn't mind people exploring abandoned buildings if it were done respectfully, but in this age of public liability claims they probably feel legally bound to refuse any such requests in the fear of being sued should something bad happen.

At least the website is promoting the idea that these places should be treated with respect rather than vandalised, that people should behave ethically (even if not 100% legally), and that people should take personal responsibility for themselves and their own safety.

But as with anything, I'm sure there are plenty of people who will abuse this kind of thing... and I'd imagine the line between an Urban Explorer and a Vandal or Troublemaker is a very grey line that shifts depending on who you ask.

Adrian Broughton

I would imagine that if you stick by the "rules" then you wouldn't be doing any harm other than potentially yourself...

Sorta like going bushwalking I guess...

Yeah a lot like bushwalking I think ST.. in fact I suspect it might appeal to those kind of people who would normally go bushwalking but are stuck in the city.

Adrian Broughton

I was intrigued with your post and the link you provided Kombisaurus. There were also nice links on that site including some from Australia with lovely photgraphy of abandoned environments. I was surprised to see a site though dedicated to South Australia urban exploration http://www.ikonvisual.com another urban adelaide site I found is http://www.addelayed.com/ Interesting subject matter !

Found another cool link:

Abandoned photography and Urban exploration. This one has many beautifully spectacular shots, and very creepy too!
http://www.opacity.us/main.php

This one is not really urban, but more about caving. Click on the names for pics!
http://www.goodearthgraphics.com/virtcave/virtmap.html

Hi Kombi Smile

My two favourite UE sites are actionsquad.org (for the stories) and abandoned-britain.com (for the photos)

cool... great to see a nice little collection of links gathering here. Cool

And welcome aboard both CrazyBrad and BettyBaby. Thanks for your input. Smile

Adrian Broughton

I'm addicted to abandoned barns. Plenty of them around here. Of course all the locals think I'm nuts. One old man was even a little "pissy" with me for taking this picture...couldn't stick around much longer to get a better shot.[Image: weatherheadhollow.jpg]

"And after it rains theres a rainbow, but all the colors are black. It's not that the colors aren't there, it's imagination we lack"

Site with lots UE pictures: Worksongs
I've spent hours going through his archives.

ah cool, I like 'secret' places Wink

like this lab I'm currently in... used to be run-down, but now renovated Sad

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Toad
Mar 16, 2010, 08:29
Last Post by Toad
Mar 16, 2010, 08:26
Last Post by shuttertalk
Feb 20, 2006, 17:08