Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Top Ten Signs You're a Christian (According to the World)

These 10 signs were posted in another forum on a website by John Mark Ministries.
(John Mark Ministries. provides counseling support for pastors, ex-pastors, church leaders and their spouses in Melbourne, Australia.)

They are informative on how the world looks at Christians. I'm guessing this'll touch a raw nerve with some of you. Fedback anyone?

Top Ten Signs You're a Christian
======================
10 - You vigorously deny the existence of thousands of gods claimed by other religions, but feel outraged when someone denies the existence of yours.
9 - You feel insulted and "dehumanized" when scientists say that people evolved from other life forms, but you have no problem with the Biblical claim that we were created from dirt.
8 - You laugh at polytheists, but you have no problem believing in a Triune God.
7 - Your face turns purple when you hear of the "atrocities" attributed to Allah, but you don't even flinch when hearing about how God/Jehovah slaughtered all the babies of Egypt in "Exodus" and ordered the elimination of entire ethnic groups in "Joshua" including women and children!
6 - You laugh at Hindu beliefs that deify humans, and Greek claims about gods sleeping with women, but you have no problem believing that the Holy Spirit impregnated Mary, who then gave birth to a man-god who got killed, came back to life and then ascended into the sky.
5 - You are willing to spend your life looking for little loopholes in the scientifically established age of Earth (few billion years), but you find nothing wrong with believing dates recorded by Bronze Age tribesmen sitting in their tents and guessing that Earth is a few generations old.
4 - You believe that the entire population of this planet with the exception of those who share your beliefs -- though excluding those in all rival sects - will spend Eternity in an infinite Hell of Suffering. And yet consider your religion the most "tolerant" and "loving."
3 - While modern science, history, geology, biology, and physics have failed to convince you otherwise, some idiot rolling around on the floor speaking in "tongues" may be all the evidence you need to "prove" Christianity.
2 - You define 0.01% as a "high success rate" when it comes to answered prayers. You consider that to be evidence that prayer works. And you think that the remaining 99.99% FAILURE was simply the will of God.
1 - You actually know a lot less than many atheists and agnostics do about the Bible, Christianity, and church history - but still call yourself a Christian.

I'm ok with points 10 to 6 (ie. I can see the lighter side of it), but points 5 to 1 are generalisations and have false assumptions in them.

Point 5: I actually believe that our ancestors were very brilliant people (no Bronze Age caveman could have constructed something as complex as the ark). Perhaps at some stage (maybe after the tower of Babel) there was a loss of knowledge amongst humanity, which could explain the presence of primitive people living in caves.

Point 4: It is because God loved us that He sent Jesus. Those who reject him, reject their own salvation.

Point 3: I was not convinced by manifestations of the Holy Spirit, but by a combination of the truth of the Word of God and the inner-working of the Holy Spirit. 'Proof' of Christianity is in the fruits of your life, which is your own personal testimony and therefore, indisputable.

Point 2: Man's take on what is 'successful answered prayer' is totally different to God's take. And if they did happen to be the same, the rate is definitely greater than 0.01%!!!! Mebbe 0.02.... hehehe...

Point 1: There is no such thing as an atheist. Big Grin It's not about how much of the Bible you know, but how much of it you apply in your walk with God. One who knows only the gospel of Mark but applies the lessons within 100% will bear more fruit than one who knows the entire Bible but applies none of it. Big Grin

God has placed me on earth to accomplish certain things.
Right now, I am so far behind that I will never die.

Hm... very cynical and skewed perspective... reminds me of a review I read of Farenheit 9/11 - "It is impossible to watch "Fahrenheit 9/11" and not come out angry. If you believe everything Moore presents at face value then you will be angry with the Bush Administration. If you are more sceptical, then you will be angry with Michael Moore for manipulating you. Like anything political the film will be cursed or canonised depending on which end of the political spectrum the viewer sits."

Oops.. sorry to take things off-topic! Big Grin

zedlav Wrote:These 10 signs were posted in another forum on a website by John Mark Ministries.
(John Mark Ministries. provides counseling support for pastors, ex-pastors, church leaders and their spouses in Melbourne, Australia.)

They are informative on how the world looks at Christians. I'm guessing this'll touch a raw nerve with some of you. Fedback anyone?

Top Ten Signs You're a Christian
======================
10 - You vigorously deny the existence of thousands of gods claimed by other religions, but feel outraged when someone denies the existence of yours.
We have an accurate source of information.
9 - You feel insulted and "dehumanized" when scientists say that people evolved from other life forms, but you have no problem with the Biblical claim that we were created from dirt.

8 - You laugh at polytheists, but you have no problem believing in a Triune God.
We have an accurate source of information, and proof!

7 - Your face turns purple when you hear of the "atrocities" attributed to Allah, but you don't even flinch when hearing about how God/Jehovah slaughtered all the babies of Egypt in "Exodus" and ordered the elimination of entire ethnic groups in "Joshua" including women and children!
Anyone who can state this so glibly, does not understand the Bible.
6 - You laugh at Hindu beliefs that deify humans, and Greek claims about gods sleeping with women, but you have no problem believing that the Holy Spirit impregnated Mary, who then gave birth to a man-god who got killed, came back to life and then ascended into the sky.

5 - You are willing to spend your life looking for little loopholes in the scientifically established age of Earth (few billion years), but you find nothing wrong with believing dates recorded by Bronze Age tribesmen sitting in their tents and guessing that Earth is a few generations old.
Anyone who believes that working to prove a human theory is an exact "science" does not know anything of science or God.
4 - You believe that the entire population of this planet with the exception of those who share your beliefs -- though excluding those in all rival sects - will spend Eternity in an infinite Hell of Suffering. And yet consider your religion the most "tolerant" and "loving."
Once again, an ignorant perspective
3 - While modern science, history, geology, biology, and physics have failed to convince you otherwise, some idiot rolling around on the floor speaking in "tongues" may be all the evidence you need to "prove" Christianity.
It proves nothing to me......
2 - You define 0.01% as a "high success rate" when it comes to answered prayers. You consider that to be evidence that prayer works. And you think that the remaining 99.99% FAILURE was simply the will of God.
Define success? Define failure! Reveal the source of these statistics! HAH! More "science" huh?1 - You actually know a lot less than many atheists and agnostics do about the Bible, Christianity, and church history - but still call yourself a Christian.
Really?

Cave canem

It puzzles me that this should be posted here.
Not that it's a threat in any way, but that the ignorance it displays shows a total lack of Biblical knowledge, and I fail to see why anyone would write it here.

Whilst I appreciate the fact that the poster is merely "forwarding" this, as it were, is it not true to say that we, as Christians, face enough negative reactions as it is?
If we want to start an anti Christian thread, then I would suggest that I start it, having come from a background of "alternative, (read FAKE), spirituality.

Dont be swayed anyone!!!

Cave canem

Dear Rufus.

Quote:It puzzles me that this should be posted here.
Not that it's a threat in any way, but that the ignorance it displays shows a total lack of Biblical knowledge, and I fail to see why anyone would write it here.

I find your previous post a little offensive. Permit me to explain. Put yourself in the shoes of a new Christian who is honestly and earnestly seeking for clarification on how to respond to such statements as those aforementioned (i.e. Top 10 Signs your're a Christian). Would you want to be responded to in the same manner in which you posted your viewpoint?

May I suggest (and I guess this would apply to all of us) that we demonstrate more sensitivity to what is seemingly an "ignorant" email - as that is exactly what it might be! People may deliberately be posting here (or in another forum for that matter!) to geniuinely seek answers to bring clarity and enlightenment to their 'ignorant' minds.

Proverbs 15:1 NIV "A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger."

Well, total stranger who hasnt signed in,

I'm sorry if you were offended, but this has been, (up until very recently), a forum containing established Christians. Whilst I fully realise that it was not intended as such, and is no longer, perhaps I responded as to those who already should know.
I'm suprised at your offense, particulary in the light of your own comments and quote.

I may be a little rough round the edges and blunt, probably because of my rather harsh experiences of the past, so I appologise to you and anyone who finds me a bit growly.

Assuming that you forgive me, may I make a request please? Sign in, join up, and say hello. Who knows, we might even become friends!! Smile

Cave canem

Hehe, you're doing ok Rufus. Everyone, let's take a chill pill and enjoy some... jelly... mmmm.... Smile

Quote:Assuming that you forgive me, may I make a request please? Sign in, join
up, and say hello. Who knows, we might even become friends!!

Dear Rufus,
Thank you very much for your kind words, and yes, I forgive you. Smile An apology goes along way indeed....such a long way that you've managed to persuade me to sign in, join up (here i am!)...and say hello.....

HELLO everyone!

I'm sure that over time our friendship will blossom, as has been demonstrated through your jovial conversations you've been having so far with all the other Shuttertalkers. Smile

Thanks and regards,
Special Fried Rice.

Greetings!!!! Big Grin

I'm just off to lunch, and probably wont be back on for about 6 hours, so.....

See you later!!!

Smile

Cave canem

Wow... that's a long lunch! Big Grin

Rufus you're cool!!! So are you special fried rice... Welcome, welcome.
Yummm... feeling a bit hungry now (just kidding) Big Grin

Hello again!

I'm in for 20 minutes....

SFR, Tell us a bit about yourself please, (unless you already have, and I havent found it yet).

Mango: Yas! Weez kool, yas! Big Grin

Cave canem

Hey! Who ordered the.... special fried rice? Heh sorry - just felt like saying that...

Welcome SFR! Our discussions here can sometimes get a bit heated, but we all mean well so don't take anything you read here personally. We don't intentionally go out of our way to offend people.... usually.... Big Grin

God has placed me on earth to accomplish certain things.
Right now, I am so far behind that I will never die.

zedlav Wrote:10 - You vigorously deny the existence of thousands of gods claimed by other religions, but feel outraged when someone denies the existence of yours.

I suppose that will always happen when two parties both believe that they're absolutely right... right?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Don Schaeffer
Jan 23, 2018, 06:49
Last Post by Don Schaeffer
Nov 14, 2012, 16:59