Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

amp modeller / effects - what should i do

I think I may have said about this a few times,
I was looking at getting a peavey classic 30;
then when I was going to order, there was no stock, so had more time to think.
So decided to go with amp modeller instead.
I bought a Behringer GDI-21 just to use for my Hong Kong trip (the Sansamp GT-2 clone). I found it very useful as it's a DI box I plug directly to the mixer. The only thing about it which I would have liked was the ability was to switch from one amp sound to another - as in the clean of a Fender Bassman to an overdriven sound. The button is only on or off - and off is just bypass.
My friend suggested using 2 GDI-21, one for the clean and one for the overdriven.
Maybe 2 GDI-21 and a delay pedal should suffice.

Other options include the POD XT Live, the Boss GT-8 and I'm asking for other options/opinions. My budget is about AUD$800.

Looking for something with preferably preset amp models and the ability to quickly change between them.

If you like Behringer products, then look at the X-V Amp.
http://www.behringer.com/X-V-AMP/index.cfm?lang=ENG

You can program the presets, so at the touch of a button (or rather, the stomp of a foot) you can switch back and forth between amp and effect settings.

Should give you exactly what you need, very inexpensively.

But if you are looking at higher-priced gear like the Boss GT8, then take a look at the Vox Tone Lab SE, which incorporates actual tube (valve) circuitry.

http://www.music123.com/VOX-Tone-Lab-SE-i120146.music

Hi Ads,
My tuppenceworth: if you're usually going to record direct, get something that cuts out the middleman in the form of the speaker, as it were: the V-Amp2 comes with its own floor switcher.
If you're gigging/live, well: I personally find it less bothersome to take along my VAmp2 or PodXT, then plonk it straight to the PA, and use the floorbaord to switch patches and models quickly.
If your live playing needs sturdy gear, then I'd certainly go down the Line 6 route as opposed to Behringer, as the latter can be Friday-afternoonish in terms of quality control.

All my stuff is here: www.doverow.com
(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

I got carried away yesterday and bought a second hand zoom G2 and PodXT Live, both are entertaining me very much, but I think the PodXT Live has more to play with. Both because they were at a very good price. Unfortunately, theres one problem which I didn't see when I bought the Pod... the expression pedal does not move smoothly - if you move it slowly, its fine, but if you move it a bit faster, it squeaks as if the joint needs to be lubricated or something. Maybe I shall oil it.

I need to go get my GDI-21 repaired tomorrow as it doesn't work when the power adaptor is plugged in, but works when it is running from battery power. The power adaptor is fine as it works for other things.

Thanks

Ah! Well-chosen, that man! I say a "hmphh" to the Behringer at this point: I hope it gets sorted, but at least Behringer kit is cheap enough to buy anew... I don't wish to be pessimistic, but in my experience once Behringer goes down it doesn't get up: I hope this is not the case here..but the XTlive is a good investment, doubly so for being s/h.

All my stuff is here: www.doverow.com
(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

Quote:Unfortunately, theres one problem which I didn't see when I bought the Pod... the expression pedal does not move smoothly - if you move it slowly, its fine, but if you move it a bit faster, it squeaks as if the joint needs to be lubricated or something
I too have the POD XT Live, but do not have this problem.

I noticed on a forum that one guy had this problem and the reply from Line 6 was that "Some units have been shipped from the factory with the expression pedal tightened to much"

The guy on this forum just applied some oil to the hinge and no problem anymore.........give that a shot

Since light travels faster than sound,
people appear bright until you hear them speak.

ah ha! Welcome back Dave! Smile
I read on the "Channel 6" forum that many suggest using "Lithium Grease" or "Teflon Grease" because it's not the liquid-type that'll run down and spill over the insides. So some time, I'll go down to the auto shop and get some!!! Smile

yeh true true.

Don't want liquid based oils frying ur insides!!!!

yeh, don't want to get fat Smile

I sprayed some (or maybe a lot) of Silicone Lubricant in there, rocked it back and forwards many times and now it's smooth and silent SmileSmileSmile

Just wanted to chime-in here about Behringer.
As noted by Zig, the stuff works when it works, but then there are those days when it stops.
(I'm a professional sound engineer, have been since 1990.
Was a metal guitarist before that, through the '80s.)

We use Behringer compressors, crossovers, mixers, powered monitors etc.
And we were pleased with the performance and pricepoint until they crapped-out for good.
In every category listed above I have a fried unit in the garage.
Mainly I feel it's just not rugged enough for the road, as well as QC problems in the Chinese factories.
When used in the studio exclusively, no problems have been seen.
Their digital 1/3rd octave EQ is nice.

For mixers, Mackie is hands-down my favorite.
Same for their powered subwoofers and mid-high cabinets.
Simply awesome sound, clean and loud.

For guitar amps, I have always been a Peavey man, from the Deuce and Mace series on.
Dropped them off trucks and stages and even the tube models kept working, and with a
decent parametric EQ added the sound can be stunning.

Just a few random thoughts.
I was rather surprised to see a musician's area here.
Cool.

slejhamer Wrote:If you like Behringer products, then look at the X-V Amp.
http://www.behringer.com/X-V-AMP/index.cfm?lang=ENG
Hey I bought the X V-Amp (pretty cheap, $100 AUD) but soon gave it away. The fx and emulations are pretty good, but if you're planning to use it for a live gig, don't bother. When switching between patches, there's a noticable "break" - so you can't like play clean and stomp on some overdrive... well I suppose you can but it sounds bad. Also, you can only bank up and down, which makes it hard to switch quickly if you have a few presets.

Got a GT-6 now... but I'm pretty jealous of Dave's Pod XT live... :|

KeithAlanK Wrote:I was rather surprised to see a musician's area here.
Cool.
Heheh it's amazing how many musicians cum photographers we have in here.. Big Grin

I still haven't been contacted about the Behringer GDI-21 which I brought back to the shop about 2 months ago.
It's probably dead now.
Anyway, the XTlive makes me smile enough for now.

Goodnight Smile

Finally got my GDI-21 back today, they replaced it with a new one SmileSmileSmileSmile
however, with a POD XT Live, the guitar amp modelling features of it may not be that useful, so I guess I'll just use it as a DI box Tongue ahha

Quote:inally got my GDI-21 back today, they replaced it with a new one smilesmilesmilesmile
however, with a POD XT Live, the guitar amp modelling features of it may not be that useful, so I guess I'll just use it as a DI box tongue ahha
hahahah......u'll probably find that with the POD XTL the DI may not even be usefull. I myself as well as many other people just go straight from the XTL to the PA system without a DI box. Some people still use it though.