Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Anyone shooting fireworks this year?

Just wondering how everyone is planning spend their new year, and whether shooting pics of fireworks is on the cards?

Believe it or not, I will be attending a wedding of all things, so I probably won't have time to get down to the city to catch the festivities. Sad

It's a scorcher of a summer here too - so they've announced a total fire ban (including fireworks) for the state. The city will be excempted, but I think many of the regional areas will be without...

Hmmm, over here it's very wet, coldish, (about 1c), and fireworks are a HUMBUG!
Well, if you are a dog owner they are, or indeed, if you are a dog yourself.

Cave canem

I will take my camera with me most certainly tomorrow to take some photos of fireworks.
The local newspapers claimed that Rakvere, the town I live in, has the most expensive fireworks in Estonia this year. In case you're interested, we have had the most expensive fireworks for three years now.
Anyway, I'll take tripod with me, too, although I'm afraid it won't be any use unless I find a peaceful place to photograph with me 3x zoom Ixus. Big Grin

But I'm wondering about the exposure time I should use taking photos of fireworks. Any suggestions? Smile

Anyway, I wish You a happy new year. Smile
I have special wishes to Shuttertalk forum - a long life period and more users next year. Smile

Hi XeoX,

Best way with fireworks is to try and catch a burst. So once you know roughly where they're going off focus just back from infinity and as a burst starts open the shutter for several seconds. (Best to put the camera on a tripod and use a remote release or self-timer with a short delay to avoid shake).

Here're a few firework shots I took 2 years ago from our kitchen roof on bonfire night (Nov 5th):

[Image: 40363618.jpg]

[Image: 40363619.jpg]

[Image: 40363622.jpg]

[Image: 40363621.jpg]

--NN

Hey NN...those are fantastic! Big Grin
I love fireworks

Muzza

"The goal is not to change your subjects, but for the subject to change the photographer." -Anonymous

Those are definately the best fireworks photos I've seen to date NN!
I don't know whether I'll bother going fireworks chasing or not... we are planning to have a quiet one at home, but those shots are awfully inspiring!

Canon 350D with Speedlight 580EX flash
EFS 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 II, EF 90-300mm f/4.5-5.6 USM, EF 50mm f/1.8

http://www.inspired-images.com.au

Thanks Muzza and Schellamo Smile

We had fun taking those. There's a big display in the park at the bottom of our road every 5th November, but we can't go as we need to stay around to keep the dogs calm (it's VERY noisy). So we decided to put the dogs in the back bedroom and climb out of the window onto the kitchen roof with the cameras, tripods etc. We had a pretty good view of the fireworks and every time the dogs got upset wecould just pop our heads through the bedroom window and talk to them!

--NN

I'll have to agree with Rufus on this one. I like fireworks but it really drives the animals crazy. Also, they get set off in the fair grounds where there are a dozen horse barns. Personally I find photographing the fireworks a bit boring but thats just me. I'm not likely to stay up late anyway as I'm off to Burnaby mountain tomorrow morning for a ride on my new Kona Stinky. Big Grin

Sit, stay, ok, hold it! Awww, no drooling! :O
My flickr images

What on earth is a Kona Stinky??????

Cool

[Image: Kona-Stinky-web.jpg]

Big Grin

My flickr images

Congrats on that, Colin! It looks like a lot of fun!

For me, the fun factor would even increase with some 50 or 100 horse powers installed but that's just me (and my belly). Smile

Gallery/ Flickr Photo Stream

Reality is for wimps who can't face photoshop.

AH....Thanks for the pic Peto......looks like fun if you're fit enough (which I'm most certainly not!). Big Grin

guerito Wrote:Congrats on that, Colin! It looks like a lot of fun!

For me, the fun factor would even increase with some 50 or 100 horse powers installed but that's just me (and my belly). Smile

Come out to the B.C. mountains with me and we'll have that belly off in no time. Big Grin This bike is like landing on a marshmallow coming off 4' drops. Big Grin

My flickr images

Kona Stinky?

Ahahahahahaaaaa!!!!

Yes, I am designing a new camera. It's called the Foetid Flashfrump.

Cave canem

So, the new year's eve is over and as I counted my shots, I god 137! 137 shots of fireworks. Big Grin Okay, I had trouble with focusing in the dark and about 50-70 of them are useless, but at least I have more experiences in photographing fireworks.
Tomorrow I'll take look at those shots again and pick few ones out and show it to you. Smile

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post