Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Views vs replies

I don't use the gallery at all either. I'm not a fan of the rating system though. I've seen it done before and I hated it. I would much rather a 'nice job' than a 4! I guess I'm just not a numbers girl. Plus I don't think getting a 2 helps you improve and in a way I think it encourages people not to post lengthy posts.
I'm a long poster like you Kombi, and I thorougly enjoy reading everyones posts, even when they are rambling!

The thing is, it happens to everybody- you post a photo because you think it is good enough to share but few people comment on it. I think we all have to accept that as part of life. Personally I take it as motivation to go out and take better photos. As toad mentioned.

I am really happy with things the way they are. I have been to other forums but I like this one because everyone gives their honest opinions and most of the time, take the time to look at your work. I realise that alot of the photos I post are repeatitive in nature due to the fact that my current focus is in portraits (has anyone seen my son? Big Grin ). And I think that is usually the reason people don't reply to posts. Its not that the photo is BAD, if it was bad then they would give suggestions, its just that they have seen and commented on photos of a similar nature and don't have anything further to add.

Just my thoughts anyway.

Canon 350D with Speedlight 580EX flash
EFS 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 II, EF 90-300mm f/4.5-5.6 USM, EF 50mm f/1.8

http://www.inspired-images.com.au

I hate ratings systems. It makes me reluctant to post something experimental and quick to remove it if it gets low ratings (or none).

If I want ratings, I'll hang out at nasty sites like PhotoSig.

Toad Wrote:
Irma Wrote:I know I haven't commented much lately, but it is because I am trying to recover from my frustration about Munich pictures, my pictures are just crap... and it was so disappointing... I was so enthusiastic about coming back with beautiful pictures, and I got not a single good one...

I hear what you are saying - I felt the same way when I came back from California last summer - I had a half a dozen decent shots - but not many when you consider that I took maybe 200 photos. For what its worth, I feel that some of your recent fog photos are outstanding..

Thanks Toad...

Toad Wrote:I guess the real answer is for me to post better photos. I do see that when a thread of really outstanding photos turns up, it tends to get responses. Not sure how I can accomplish that though - other than the obvious "take more photos" advice.

You are right.
As I said once... The level of pictures this forum has is too high... There are really wonderful pictures. Nothing wrong with that... at the contrary... that is what somehow has pushed me to work more in my pictures and try to make them better... It is also true that my best pictures are the ones that have had more comments...

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

Hi, and thanks everyone for your comments - there certainly some very valuable opinions stated here and we'll try to take that on board as much as possible.

Just a side comment regarding the number of "views" - don't be disheartened as the number can dramatically increase to other factors such as search engine crawls, especially the longer the thread has been hanging around.

I encourage everyone to keep posting, and keep smiling, and remember to give attention where attention is due. What that means for each person may be different, but let's all try to push towards to goal of being "friendliest digital photography forums on the net!" Big Grin

Well - I think the answer is go big or go home!

Over the last 2 days, I have posted 4 photo threads...

Thread + Number of posts (not by Toad)

1. Nasty Weather in the Midwest (Toad's Nightmare) - 15 posts (definately going big)
2. Porto: (major stylized) - 5 posts
3. Really? (humor) - 5 posts
4. 2 B&Ws (out of my usual comfort zone - but still trying to be artistic) - 2 posts

Are we learning anything here?

Big?

use a longer name!

Are we learning anything here? Said Mr Toad.

Erm..... I dont understand. I think I'm missing the point somehow......:/

I do confess to a bad habit (or twenty). Sad

Prime example, Kombi's recent pics.
I've looked at them aghast, thinking "good grief! Brilliant! Huge! Outstanding!" Big Grin
Then posted NOWT. :o Why? I dont know. Pure lazyness I suppose. Sad
I'm aware that I need to make more effort, consider others more, and be less of a pain-in-the-ass.
Unfortunately, being a P-I-T-A comes easily to me! Big Grin

Cave canem

indeed .. i need to start being on the forum more ^_^

Hey Guys, I've only been with you a week ...Don't get too deep for me .Big Grin But interesing as to how we are all different in lots of ways. Some folk are verbiose (talk good),some are artistic ( take good shots), some are idealogical (have good ideas about what to take), and some just wish to learn, others to teach.
I say do what you are best at, but give a little in return. Wink

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

shuttertalk Wrote:Hi, and thanks everyone for your comments - there certainly some very valuable opinions stated here and we'll try to take that on board as much as possible.

Just a side comment regarding the number of "views" - don't be disheartened as the number can dramatically increase to other factors such as search engine crawls, especially the longer the thread has been hanging around.

I encourage everyone to keep posting, and keep smiling, and remember to give attention where attention is due. What that means for each person may be different, but let's all try to push towards to goal of being "friendliest digital photography forums on the net!" Big Grin
ST, very valid points there and the thoughts and feelings of fellow shuttertalk members is food for thought.

On a personal level, i for one find it very satisfying and rewarding to get a reply from fellow members, no matter how little or large the response is, and whether it is positive or a constructive criticism......... having only taken photography as a hobby in the past month or so, it keeps me feeling positive about my improvement to see a response or tip from an older member or a experienced photographer (Kombisaurus for example)..............

All in all, being a member of Shuttertalk is something that i'm proud of and i frequently tell friends and acquaintances to drop in and have a look!!!!!

FujiFilm Finepix S5600

Recently I've been scared to add to the "views" count and not to the "replies" count, so I don't click at all Rolleyes

Smile

Hmmm - I'm not complaining or trying to stir up controversy here - just sharing observations.

I confused things by asking if we were learning anything... :/

Honestly...I'm mostly lazy!
Occassionally I'll go into a posting frenzy! Big Grin

Muzza

"The goal is not to change your subjects, but for the subject to change the photographer." -Anonymous

byrt_001 Wrote:on the point that uli makes about
Quote:obliged to say more than just "nice shot", or "2 on an scale from 1-5".
thats an excellent idea!!!

why we do not implement an points star system. if you do not want ot leave a comment fine.....but maybe at the botton of the origianl post should have a little marks that you press and you can vote 2, 3,4, 5, 6, 7 or how many start you considere is worth that photo.
I suggested something similar a while back, but it wasn't too popular...
http://www.shuttertalk.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=2778

I think it would be a pretty straightforward thing to do... even make it like a smiley button or something...

No!!!

Canon 350D with Speedlight 580EX flash
EFS 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 II, EF 90-300mm f/4.5-5.6 USM, EF 50mm f/1.8

http://www.inspired-images.com.au

well i guess i should add something on this thread . So here goes , i look at almost every picture and read almost all the comments . No i do not post a lot because i come here to learn . I really dont feal that i have enough experence in photography to give a good comment on any photo.

I really enjoy seeing eveyones progress in photography , and have learned o good bit thanks to you all . I am going to start posting pics as soon as i get some that i cant tell what i have right or wrong ( if that makes since ) .

Shawn

Canon 20d and a few cheap lenses ..

It is our job as photographers to show people what they saw but didnt realize they saw it ......

Hmmm, I think my quote is taken slightly out of context.
I didn't mean to suggest a rating system on picture postings, because I appreciate the fact that on posts a tread about a picture that one wants to get feedback on.

My thought rather went like this:
Since there is basically no rating going on in the galleries, you HAVE to post every picture in a post if you want ANY comment on it.

In my imagination, we could have a scenario where there is a constant base line of getting a feeling of how much your pictures appeal to people from the galleries, by means of rating.
and then, if you have a special one, outstanding, problematic, provocative, technically challenging....... you post a thread about it. that way, there would be less threads of the kind "I just wanted to show this, you don't really have to comment" and the photo critique could be quite intense.
In actual fact, I think the photo critiques are most often really good and helpful and not terribly much to improve.
but somehow that notion of "we are not commenting enough" came up, and I just shared my thoughts on that. (was is just before christmas when this feeling emerged? I could see how that can happen....Big Grin )

I fully appreciate some peoples aversions to ratings, just think between all us frienldly, honest folk, it could be helpful
A simple rating system in actual forum postings would, in my mind, defeat the purpose of a posting, so please don't quote me as suggesting it Wink

Rate in the galleries instead!

It shows how much we care for everyone in here that we are still talking about this, isn't that a good sign?

Uli

hahah i remember how you had an incentive near teh start of this site to get people posting lol ... i sure racked up alot of posts back then... hrmm i should actually go visit the photo galleries ..

I guess I have been dimmly aware that we have galleries here, but I don't think I have ever visited them...