Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

A Rocky Start

Hello to you all . Its been a while and thought that i would stop by ( i was in the neiborhood Big Grin ) . Would yall mind giving your honest oppinion on these pics for me ?

[Image: A-Rocky-Start-Org.jpg]

[Image: RB.jpg]

[Image: RB1.jpg]

i think that i got the size right ? ( fingers are crossed )

I have so many more that i want to post on here but i dont want to bore you with them all LOL ...

Canon 20d and a few cheap lenses ..

It is our job as photographers to show people what they saw but didnt realize they saw it ......

sorry i ment to put these in the critic area so feal free to comment on them ..

[Mod: moved to critique area... Big Grin]

It is our job as photographers to show people what they saw but didnt realize they saw it ......

Great to see some experimentation Drake!
What was your shutter speed? i think that perhaps it was a little too long, as you are starting too loose some of the detail in the water.
It looks like a beauitful place, the photos are lovely and sharp too. Smile

Canon 350D with Speedlight 580EX flash
EFS 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 II, EF 90-300mm f/4.5-5.6 USM, EF 50mm f/1.8

http://www.inspired-images.com.au

I like the concept and the framing, Like Schell I think you went a little to long on teh shutter speed, a lot of detail is gone from the white areas.

I like the first one, even though some detail in the water is lost. the rocks are rich and nicely frame the water.

to be quite honest, I find the second too overexposed and the third a little dull, because the color of the rocks is too similar to the surrounding water.

uli

Wow, beautiful pics - I love them all. The water is so milky and smooth, and the green rocks in #1 really stand out!

I'd perhaps try experimenting with different shutter speeds - I do agree that some detail in the water might help, instead of a big white patch ala #1...

But good job!

hi
i like the running water but i have to agree i think it is a little too much blur..uuhmm in my old monitor looks a bit cold the colours? too much blue and green?

uuhmm yes there is too much blue and green...now...uuhmm my monitor who do i trust?? sorry if the colours are not right...i think are right?

[Image: 49_A-Rocky-Start-Org.jpg]

christian

Sorry Christian, once again the original is much better. There is no blue in the original and the green looks perfectly natural, not uncommon this time of year here.

Byrt, you need a new monitor. Either that or it needs a SERIOUS calibration.

You graciously comment on stuff, however its very difficult if not counter productive to do so when your monitor doesn't accurately reflect what is posted.

Drake: You are on the right track here. I think a neutral density filter is just what you are looking for. It will allow you to slow the shutter speed while retaining detail in the trees etc. These are tough shots to get without overexposing given the longer shutter speed. What was the shutter speed?

Nos an modica tantum nostri somnium
"We are limited only by our imagination"

hey guys and thanks.

shutter speed on # 1 was 6 sec. f33 , iso 100 . I wasnt using a filter at all ( except uv , it never comes off) .

# 2 and # 3 were 1 sec . f22 . iso 100 .

it was a very overcast day , and the water was running fast so i wasnt sure how fast to set the camera . This is one reason that i want to go digital so bad. I think that i could have done a lot better of a job.

I have more shots taken @ 1/60 iso 100 . and didnt get the ( blur that i was wanting ) .

Thanks again yall ........ Shawn

sorry guys...i have been playing trying to calibrate the old thing..i thougth it was ok now....

christian

Drake - try 1/8 sec for water running over rocks like this. Its the perfect speed.

Thanks for the tip Toad!

Canon 350D with Speedlight 580EX flash
EFS 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 II, EF 90-300mm f/4.5-5.6 USM, EF 50mm f/1.8

http://www.inspired-images.com.au

yea thanks toad . i am going back in july and have plans to shoot a lot more .( hopefully with digital if all goes right ) Big Grin

Here's an example of 1/8 sec...

[Image: 82_Dave%20and%20Alex%20at%20Richard%20Squiers.jpg]

I think this speed shows the movement of the water without losing all the detail. Hint: be sure to use a tripod and if you have people in it like this - they need to hold still.

Yes, like the guys already mentioned, you used a bit too slow shutter speed. I personally think that you could even use slower shutter speed than 1/8 seconds. Smile Good luck at shooting in July!

Thanks yall ,
i can see what you mean nowToad. The July trip will be one that will teach me a lot . I have plans to do more than water , The Smokeys have so much to offer and i am going to try to take advantage .

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post