Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Tips for Travel Photography

Tips from LA Times on travel photography. Some good stuff there, especially towards the end.
http://www.latimes.com/travel/la-tr-digi...-headlines

My favourites are:
Quote:Part of relaxing with vacation photography is not feeling pressured to constantly record everything you see. Set aside an hour a day specifically for picture-taking, preferably during the magic hours around sunrise and sunset.
Quote:If traveling with companions, try going out alone some days. You'll be creating a separate vacation within a vacation that only you experience, and your photos will become more personal and less static.
I think I find this the hardest to do - I usually vacation with friends/family, and if I just nick off by myself then it might seem a bit rude. I guess when travelling with people, it's always a compromise between spending time with them, and doing the photography thing. Some people suggest waking up early and heading out at dawn... but it's hard enough waking up for work as it is... Big Grin

Thoughts anyone?

Dunno about this one...

Quote:Start with a clear idea even if once you've set out, something else appears. The pictures will have a common thread and convey continuity.

shuttertalk Wrote:Tips from LA Times on travel photography.
Funny you should mention that... I'll be doing a little travel photography myself in a few days - in Los Angeles.

I do make a point of not bringing the camera during some events, including ones that I might want to photograph. A stroll down the beach or an evening watching fireworks is experienced very differently with a camera. And, quite frankly, when I'm pretending to be a photographer I'm not a lot of fun to be with.

I'm not even bringing my little P&S; I don't want to always have a camera. I will usually have my DSLR, but I'll also be taking a vacation from it, not just with it. (This is also important for the SHF, 'Spousal Happiness Factor'.)

There are also going to be the times when I grab my camera, tripod, and scooter and disappear for an hour or three. SHF works both ways.

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

matthew Wrote:I will usually have my DSLR, but I'll also be taking a vacation from it, not just with it. (This is also important for the SHF, 'Spousal Happiness Factor'.)

There are also going to be the times when I grab my camera, tripod, and scooter and disappear for an hour or three. SHF works both ways.
Very insightful, matthew... I guess there will be times you just want to take a break and enjoy the sights. And there will be times you want to capture them too. Big Grin

I have this great book on Travel Photography : Travel Photography, by Lonley Planet. Very good indeed. It helps with a lot of stuff not just for travelling but a wide range of stuff. Well worth a look

jbman Wrote:I have this great book on Travel Photography : Travel Photography, by Lonley Planet. Very good indeed. It helps with a lot of stuff not just for travelling but a wide range of stuff. Well worth a look
Hey, I've got the same book! Totally recommend it too! Big Grin

Ironically, I got to spend a LOT of time vacationing without my camera. It didn't clear the airline's security, and I wasn't reunited with it until the trip was half-over. I went through serious withdrawal, and missed it every day. Not throwing a little P&S - like my F828 - into my luggage was a serious mistake. I spent the first weekend, including trips to Hollywood and whale-watching (separately) cameraless; Hollywood deserved a return visit.

But, there were times when I was glad to not be That Annoying Guy With The Camera. I did genuinely enjoy some aspects of the drought, when I was able to experience things like a normal person. I was able to participate more in daily life, and since I was visiting family, that was important.

Needless to say, when I got my camera back, I didn't leave it behind. Ever. Some things - like Hollywood - are meant to be experienced as a tourist, through a lens.

The idea of having a common theme, and not deviating from it, is interesting. I'm not sure of the value of it for a "fun" trip, but if I was on a repeat visit, I'd consider it.

My trip gallery is here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/robertsonph...058405139/

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

On our last BIG extended-family trip--to South Padre Island near the Mexico border--I wasn't "annoying camera guy" because people would only spot me passing through on the way to another shoot.
I would stop and have a beer, chitchat a bit, ask what everyone was up to, then go off by myself or with whoever was interested in tagging along.
Nobody thought I was weird or antisocial. They understood that photography is MY thing, just like tanning or swimming was THEIR thing. And I made it clear before we went that my childhood was a blur of endless monthlong vacations at the beach, and I have had my fill of it. I burn easy, too.
Everyone could appreciate that asking me to vacation on their terms wasn't cool, so we ALL had a good time.

However, since I always had my shoes, money and car keys on my person, whenever I was caught I ended up having to run to the store for drinks, food, cigarettes etc for the sand-covered people. Small price to pay.

And they all cherish my photos from the trip, so next vacation will be even easier.
Don't assume people won't be understanding.

It was my GF's family from all over the USA, and those who know me see me plenty during the year.
Those who didn't know me, got to meet and hang with me enough to suit us all without getting bored or starting alcohol-fueled arguments. OTHER inlaws did that, so my reputation rose as their's fell. Wink

This summer we're all going to a lake, so I'll be around more for the fishing and boating.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post