Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Tasmanian Landscapes

I often found myself exploring the relationships between man-made and natural things on this trip to Tassie, especially with regard to my landscape shots. This wasn't always the case, but it seemed to pop its head up time and time again.

[Image: IMG_0995_B.jpg]
1. Building on a Jetty, Lake St Claire, Central Highlands. Lake St Claire is Australia's deepest lake, and this building was one of only a very few signs of civilisation amongst the wilderness. Taken with a 450mm equiv focal length (200mm x1.4 teleconverter x1.6 crop factor) and then cropped down a bit.

[Image: IMG_1778.jpg]
2. Road to Cradle Mountain, Central Highlands. There aren't enough telephoto landscapes in the world I've decided.. so here's another one to add in the mix! Wink

[Image: IMG_1803.jpg]
3. Dove Lake and Cradle Mountain, Central Highlands. Ok so this is the type of landscape shot the tourism people will want to show you to try to get you to go visit the state. Except their photo will be taken on one of the very few sunny warm days at Lake Dove. This lake is about 1km above sea level, and the freezing wind sweeps down the mountain and whips across the lake and chills you to the bone. I bought a new tripod on this trip (Manfrotto 055 Pro with Giottos MH-1001 Ball Head) and in conditions like this (1-4 second exposures in very strong wind) I was so glad I had it. It worked a treat.

Adrian Broughton
My Website: www.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
My Blog: blog.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
You can also visit me on Facebook!
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Einstein.

Adrian, your photography is top notch and never ceases to amaze me. Your processing is fantastic and always suite the image 100%. Very inspiring sir. Smile

Sit, stay, ok, hold it! Awww, no drooling! :O
My flickr images

Astonishing! Your stuff gets better and better.

Kombi..... again just awe inspiring shots as Peto mentioned.......... to be truthful..... your work is one of the main factors in me getting out the door to try different ideas, as your diversity never ceases to amaze me.

FujiFilm Finepix S5600

A BIG WOW for the Road to Cradle Mountain, and the Lake at Cradle Mountain shots!

The Road shot - I don't think I've seen a composition like that before - I've seen plenty of road shots stretching into the horizon etc., but I've never seen one going down a dip and up a hill. Awesome! Very yummy mono treatment too.

Dove Lake - nice wide shot, love the textures and serene landscape. I know how difficult the conditions can be for shooting at Cradle mountain - they say you can probably count on both hands the number of days in a year that you'll have completely fine conditions.

Top stuff!

Wonderful work...nothing else can be said! Smile

Muzza

"The goal is not to change your subjects, but for the subject to change the photographer." -Anonymous

Hi

WOOOOWWW... makes you feel like going to taz now

the last one is my fav, i like the mix in duotones/colours

great stuff

thanks for sharing

christian

What's left to say?

Fantastic.

uli

Tassie has been on my must do list for a long time. These shots just bumped it up!!!!!!!

Awesome as always Kombi, If I had to pick ……………. dove lake and the water motion.(gee lookin again there all great)

Thanks for such generous comments, they mean a lot to me. Smile (especially from a pair of old stalwarts like Colin and Rob Tongue)

Sg, anything that motivates any of us to get out the door and shoot more has to be a good thing Smile Glad I can help, and certainly I've had loads of motivation from many people here to get out and shoot myself.

Jules, sounds like you're pretty familiar with that part of Tas... and you're right about the weather there. Although it was the middle of summer and they've been having some very hot days recently (like you guys in Victoria), I did get caught in a hail storm when I was in Hobart and it snowed at my sister's house while I was travelling around the state.
And that road photo (#2) was very interesting. We were driving along and when I saw this scene I just impulsively stopped the car to shoot it. I had high hopes for the shot, but when I processed it in colour I was very disappointed... but then changing it to sepia gave it its magic back again. Now most photos are somewhat more suited to either colour or monochrome, but I've never known a photo to change so dramatically as this one did for seemingly no reason (its not like it had distracting colours or anything).

And Christian, I also really liked the colours in the last photo. It was taken at late twilight and in real life the scene was considerably darker than it appears here. But with a good exposure and some careful tone curves I managed to pull that colour out of the shot. No colour has been artificially added to that shot, I was particularly happy about it because this scene is one that is quite commonly photographed, so its difficult to get an original looking photo of Cradle Mountain/Dove Lake. I think the colour does give it a uniqueness I haven't seen in other shots, yet is still faithful to the original scene.

I also took a 6-shot panorama of this scene which I haven't got around to processing yet. Zig has set the bar very high with his recent b/w panoramic landscapes, so the pressure is on these shots to deliver the goods. Wink

Adrian Broughton

Ooo... yes, bring on the panorama! Big Grin

Awesome Kombi.Cool

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm
not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein

Kombi,

The last shot is simply stunning. I lived in Tassie for 5 years - it is so beautiful. Did you get to Wine Glass Bay and the Mount Field National Park?

Cheers,

Chris

Canon stuff.

Thanks. Big Grin

I didn't have time to get to either of those places Chris (although I almost included Mt Field). I basically did a big triangle from Hobart to Queenstown to Launceston and then back to Hobart, stopping only in a few places along the way. Due to time constraints we skipped a lot along the way, but I don't mind because I visit Tassie regularly - I have a heap of places I still want to visit tucked up my sleeve for next time(s). I'm trying to get into the habit of doing a little trek somewhere new for each visit. I'd be quite happy to re-trace that same route when I have more time to look around at the places I missed... plus do the East Coast, and the North West, and the Tasman Peninsula again, etc, etc...
Of course I should also get into the habit of seeing more of WA too, seeing as I live here!

Here are another couple of landscapes from the trip:

[Image: 23_IMG_1705.jpg]
4. Looking across the Pieman River to Mt Black. Western Tasmania.

[Image: IMG_1109.jpg]
5. King William Range (I think) taken from a moving car on the A10 between Derwent Bridge and Franklin River. Don't worry, I wasn't driving when I took this shot! Tongue I used a 1/10th sec shutter speed I to get this amount of motion blur. And I'm proud to say that I wasn't using an IS lens (although that wasn't by choice - I just didn't have my 17-85 IS within easy reach).

Adrian Broughton

Now you're just showing off Kombi.................. once again love the shots, particularly the first, it's...... quite stunning :| (they don't have a stunned smilie to put forth here.....)

FujiFilm Finepix S5600

The man knocks us to the floor with awesome landscapes...then hits us with a motion-blur one which is such a piece of brilliance! Even if my jaw came up from the floor I'd still be unable to offer any other comment than the rest of you have.
Your images somehow go beyond the norm Kombi; I'm smiling as I view them because the way they touch me is on a deeper level than mere applause of good eye and technique. Despite their diversity, for me they have a common factor of sheer "presence" that is more than the sum of its measurable parts. Just a pleasure to see.
Adrian, I realise you already generously supply really helpful info along with your shots; would you be kind enough to tell us which aperture you use at given focal lengths(if and when you can)?

All my stuff is here: www.doverow.com
(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

So, when's your next exhibition, Kombi?
Cool
art at its finest.

Canon 350D with Speedlight 580EX flash
EFS 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 II, EF 90-300mm f/4.5-5.6 USM, EF 50mm f/1.8

http://www.inspired-images.com.au

Wow.. thanks for the wonderful feedback. <blush> But honestly I don't think these images deserve such high praise, especially those comments from you Zig. I'm not being modest - I'm just speaking as somebody who has seen all these at 100% crops, "warts and all".
While they scrub up OK at these low resolutions, some of them fall apart pretty quickly when viewed any higher which is a shame.
The PP is also perhaps a bit heavy-handed and obvious in some of these shots (again its more obvious as higher res). I've done a bit more work to them to improve this, but at the moment I have too many images and not enough time so I can't give them the attention I'd like to.

But I'm still flattered by the feedback and happy with the images overall. While I moan about technical issues of technique and image quality, I am really happy that they appear to communicate what I want in a broader sense. For me they begin to re-capture the feeling I had being there, and by the looks of it some of you can see that too. That's a very positive step in the right direction.

And as for the settings, I'll try to include them with each post in future (I like it when others do this too, I just don't always remember to myself).
Shot #1 - 280mm (450mm equiv), 100 ISO, f/11, 1/30th Second (on tripod with mirror lockup and remote shutter release)
Shot #2 - 113mm (180mm equiv), 800 ISO, f/4, 1/350th Second (hand held in fading light)
Shot #3 - 10mm (16mm equiv), 100 ISO, f/8, 1 Second (at dusk with polariser on tripod with MLU and using remote)
Shot #4 - 17mm (27mm equiv), 800 ISO, f/13, 1/60th Second (hand held with IS and I think a polariser - in hindsight I would've gone for a lower ISO)
Shot #5 - 20mm (32mm equiv), 400 ISO, f/32(!), 1/10th Second (hand held without IS - in hindsight I would've chosen 100 ISO and f/16 and used an IS lens)

With shot #5 in particular, I was experimenting with differernt shutter speeds and the amount of motion blur they produced (and training my steady hand) - I would simply shoot, close the aperture a stop and shoot again. I took 20 or 30 shots like this - and while I hoped they might produce something good, I wasn't really expecting to end up with anything usable (mind you, this shot is only usable at 6x4"). I didn't realise I was on 400 ISO and f/32 when I took the shot and wouldn't normally have chosen that combination deliberately.
Similarly with shot #4 I was experimenting with a number of different settings and compositions at the time - and I chose this shot because of the composition rather than settings. But I was surpised to discover later the shot I picked to use was 800 ISO - it is very clean for such a high ISO, and noise is not an issue at all. I've had a few pleasant surprises with high ISO shot and experiments with that 17-85 IS lens lately. Smile

Cheers
Adrian

Adrian Broughton

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Irma
Nov 20, 2009, 03:06