Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Artistic Nude

Not a subject I have really explored yet purely due to the fact that I don't want to pay someone and doing it on a TFP basis its hard to get willing subjects.

I have a couple of flaws I have seen in this shot and I'm hoping someone else will pick up on them so I can tell that it isn't just me being super critical of my own work.

[Image: _MG_2572.jpg]

My eye goes straight to the folds of the curtain, the hand in her back looks as if it were making some effort... not rested comfortably... The curtain at the right is not to the wall as the other one... It doesn't bother me but just to have some symmetry... I would clone out those two dots in the wall at the very edge of the left upper corner...

I like a lot the pose and the B&W conversion... her skin looks beautiful...

Very tasteful picture SJ

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

I agree, a very tasteful and pleasant photo. I wouldn't have looked for flaws actually, but since you're asking... Smile

After the first wow and a closer look: I agree with Irma about her hand - it almost looks as if the sofa were clutching her. There is something with her feet, too. Her right foot is a bit too dark, IMO, it gives the impression of a sock. On her left foot the small toe looks a bit like a claw, due to the lighting.

I'm not sure if the window has to be included in the shot. It explains the back light, but it also, IMO, competes with the model for attention. Without the window, the whole exposure could be half an f-stop brighter with more detail in the model's face. I tried it, she looks nice. Smile

Gallery/ Flickr Photo Stream

Reality is for wimps who can't face photoshop.

hi

very nice contrast!!

been critical of your own work...uuhmm sounds familiar

i have to agree with the previous posts/posters/posteers/postererers? the dots on the wall and the hand.ooh and the chain on her ankle.

thanks for sharing

christian

My main issue was with her hand and also with the window. The hand I'm going to try and Photoshop out and see how it goes. The window I couldn't find any composition that would let me take it away without going to a crop that isn't in some form of print size. I crop and compose all my images to suit some form of print size with the only option I could find being to make her a panorama Wink

Believe it or not this shot was an accident. We working with natural light for some portraits like the one attached below but these I was using studio lighting for and on one shot it didn't fire so I explored more.

[Image: _MG_2590.jpg]

SJ, I think you should do more.....great image. I really like your setting, even the window. If I had to pick a couple of faults I'd agree with G, it would be not enough detail in your models face .........does not need much more perhaps if her hair was back off her face it would be enough.......:/ The other one that stands out for me would be her foot above the lounge,(needs to be lower) because its higher than the main subject it asks for attention. With that said, I think that's being picky!

Thanks for that Russ. I forgot to mention earlier when Guerito commented about the face. I did try to lighten it up but because she had her eyes in shadows she comes up rather evil with a light face and black eye sockets, creeped me out!

I will give it more of a go. I want to do some silhouette shoots out in the bush. Scouting for more subjects.

Edit: Oh and I'm going to NZ end of the year so I'm trying to find something similar to do with rainforest/mountain themes.

Hey J... nice to see your work again. I'm thinking more of the face, or lack of light on it, rather than the hand or window. Dunno... I guess when I look at a portrait type shot, I tend to focus on the face first. Big Grin

Another thing with artistic nude work is that it often involves anonymity. Lots of the girls who do it don't want to be recognised. Although it is only implied. You can't see anything even though she is. Its a weird world Smile

There is another pic HERE as another example from the shoot.

Ah, gotcha. Big Grin

About the curtain, I thought that one possibility would be to crop just above the folds... the other posibility I saw was to clone out the folds to have a bright space without distractions ... I like the bracelet in her ankle... Smile

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

StudioJ Wrote:Believe it or not this shot was an accident.
Such accidents should happen to me! Big Grin

I gotta agree about the hand, and to be honest i think the shadow on the face is a good thing. like SJ said the majority of models dont want there faces to be seen in this form. but like everyone said the hand does bother me , kind of like she isnt comfy.

Other than the hand i like it. and i got to shoot some " glamour " shots this weekend and she wanted to a lot of skin to show and i know that it is a difficult shoot. You did a good job with it IMO .

.......... Shawn

Canon 20d and a few cheap lenses ..

It is our job as photographers to show people what they saw but didnt realize they saw it ......

I really love the two shots you posted in this thread, it shows the model in a more attractive way IMHO, natural and beautiful. The lighting is dramatic and beautiful and the model looks very natural.

I do however find the other shots you have posted in other threads to lack any charm or personality at all, I mean, I know the guys like them, but it makes the women seem all body, no brains or personality- like all she lives for is to please men. Okay, I know I'm going on a feminist rant here, but I just want you to know why I haven't commented on your previous posts. The photos in this post however, show the woman to be thoughtful and real, a person not just a plaything and that is what I think makes her beautiful. I'm not in anyway averse to nudity but I don't like it when women make themselves less than they are (i.e submissive) to please others.

Hey, blame Rufus, he's the one who wanted us all to me more honest Tongue

Canon 350D with Speedlight 580EX flash
EFS 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 II, EF 90-300mm f/4.5-5.6 USM, EF 50mm f/1.8

http://www.inspired-images.com.au

I appreciate any feedback on my images positive or negative Michelle. And I do agree a lot of my girly shots are pure fluff but that is what they are meant to be.

If fluff pays the bills, good for you SJ Smile I always look at your shots and think... if only I had a clue how! ..... My camera club does group model shoots occassionaly, maybe I'll actually go to one.