Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Rebates - what has been your experience?

I bought a Canon IXUS 55 (more on this later!) for my wife on the weekend, and that came with a rebate from the store, in the form of $50 which I could spend on accessories, prints etc.. The funny thing is that I tried my hardest to get them to give me the discount up front - even saying that I'd buy a memory card as well - but no deal. Instead, I have to mail in the rebate claim form, and they say in a week's time I should have some store credit.

I've been reading some stories about rebates on other sites, though, and some are really evil. Apparently manufacturers love the rebate scheme because they claim the full revenue and then write off the rebate as a cost. They also count on consumers failing to claim their rebates, or more shoddily - reject rebates based on some some technicality.

This article really shines some light on their practices, with claims such as "Rebates are a good business plan only when consumers fail to claim them", and "Over $500 million in rebates go unfilled every year, many due to deceptive practices on the part of the companies or their "promotions companies."". Some shoppers swear by never buying a product if there's a rebate on it - they would rather shop around and find a cheaper non-rebate price.

What has your experience been with rebates? I've claimed 2 rebates in my recent history. The first one was a free TV tuner card bundle with a HP laptop that I bought. In all fairness I forgot about it and mailed the rebate in too late, so they kindly rejected my claim. My second experience has been with my Nikon D50 twin lens kit - the rebate was for a free flashgun. That was a real painless process - the flash came about 2 weeks after I submitted my claim form. In fact, I called them up and the lady was kind enough to check in their database, and said to me - "oh your flash was shipped yesterday", and sure enough, it turned up the very same day. I've got a feeling because it was handled through Nikon Australia and not some third party company.

I know the camera manufacturers usually have periods when they offer rebates on lenses and kits - usually in the form of cash back, but sometimes with free gifts... Is the camera industry better at honouring rebates than our computer or electronics counterparts? Any stories to share?

I've sent rebates in on numerous occasions without a problem.

Sit, stay, ok, hold it! Awww, no drooling! :O
My flickr images

I've only had a problem with one rebate, which was annoying but not life-changing. My objections to rebates are moral and practical. Morally, I think they're deceptive, since stores advertise the lower price when it's not what's being charged. Also, I dislike the fact that the vendors are expecting to not have to honour all of the promises they make.

My practical objection is that taxes are charged on the full price (15% tax rate here). Something that's $100 with a $10 rebate will cost me $115 dollars up front, plus postage and annoyance, and four to six weeks later it has still cost me $105. I'd rather just buy something that's $95, pay my $109.25, and be done with it.

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

I've gotten every rebate I have ever applied for... my problem is I hardly ever remember to apply!

I got 3 rebates when i bought my laptop, a couple when i bought my rebel... got them all.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post