Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

The March

Some of you might have heard about the immigrant marches all over the country, they were quite big in New York. I read somewhere that police estimated over 500,000 participants.
And I was in the middle of it :-) Kind of by accident, so I tried to make the best of it and shot and shot and shot...
Now I am not at all used to this kind of situation, ever changing light conditions, moving subjects, having to walk backwards.... I am kind of proud to say that I had my camara on manual all the time. the down side is that I had a LOT of over-/underexposed shots that could have been really nice.

Even though I lost some 50 or so of my pictures by accident, I was still left with over 300 at the end of the day. Out of those, I picked the most interesting ones that acutally have protest character.
I also got some nice portraits, that don't show too much of the context, and I was pleased with those. maybe I will show them somewhere else.

BTW, I haven't edited any of these yet, just wanted to show kind of the general atmosphere..

Here are my top 20 protest pics, bare with me :-)

(admin: If anyone feels I am using too much space for junk, go ahead and delete some)

uli
[Image: IMG_7506.JPG]

the second half of the motto was: "....tomorrow we vote!" :-)
[Image: IMG_7269.JPG]
[Image: IMG_7252.JPG]
[Image: IMG_7301.JPG]
[Image: IMG_7325.JPG]
[Image: IMG_7357.JPG]
[Image: IMG_7384.JPG]
[Image: IMG_7393.JPG]
[Image: IMG_7394.JPG]
[Image: IMG_7408.JPG]
[Image: IMG_7411.JPG]
[Image: IMG_7413_cr.jpg]
[Image: IMG_7419.JPG]
[Image: IMG_7439.JPG]
[Image: IMG_7463.JPG]
[Image: IMG_7491.JPG]
[Image: IMG_7514.JPG]
[Image: IMG_7524.JPG]
[Image: IMG_7541.JPG]
[Image: IMG_7549.JPG]

uli

I put these files into an album in my gallery

so if space is needed please delete!

uli

Wow... cool pics! I hope you don't mind - I've moved this thread to the "photo stories" section... Big Grin

Uli, I'm glad ST moved it here I think it fits the journalistic profile........interesting collection, you've captured the march well!!

(we need #)

Some great captures there uli! What an array of different people, its great.

Canon 350D with Speedlight 580EX flash
EFS 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 II, EF 90-300mm f/4.5-5.6 USM, EF 50mm f/1.8

http://www.inspired-images.com.au

Some really great captures here. Difficult to comment on individually without numbers - but some really outstanding photo journalistic work .

thanks a billion guys, I really appreciate your feedback. Mind you, this is a small selection from among too many pictures....

huh, I had missed this one, although it was one of my favorites:

[Image: IMG_7415.JPG]

:-)

Great job Uli. Smile

Its great to see people setting themselves min-assignments like this. These shots work really well together to capture the mood of the protest.
I can see why #21 is one of your favourites - it is my favourite of the bunch too.
My only minor suggestion when posting a series of shots to document an event like this might be to include one or two wide shots to provide a context for the other shots. Even if the wide shots aren't great themselves, they add meaning to the other shots and provide "glue" to hold the whole thing together as a series. Some other types of shots can also help in this way (ie detail shots).

Cheers
Adrian

Adrian Broughton
My Website: www.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
My Blog: blog.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
You can also visit me on Facebook!
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Einstein.

Hey Kombi,

good to see you! I had been kind of wondering if you had had your turn of falling off the face of the earth or something.....

To my defense I have to say that I tried take some wide shots to capture the crowd, they just did not work at all.
Partially because Manhatten is all blocks, and the march went down Broadway.
So I always had badly underexposed and badly overexposed areas (crossway vs. block) in the shots. Or I couldn't find a good vantage point (I am tiny), and had to shoot blindly, which never worked.

So I concentrated on more or less single or few people. But you are absolutely right saying that this way, I am missing important parts of the spirit of it all.

Next time!

Thanks for your comment, uli

I'm still hanging on Uli... but to my surpise I've had a bit of a busy social life for the last week or two (I'd almost forgotten what that was!). Big Grin I've got no intention of going anywhere though.

It would be a tough gig trying to accurately photograph a protest I think. And I must say that I've never done one so I can't speak from experience. Of course the tall city blocks would cause havok with natural lighting I guess... but I'm jealous of anyone with the opportunity to wander NY taking street photos. There must be some amazing things to see.

Cheers
Adrian

Adrian Broughton
My Website: www.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
My Blog: blog.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
You can also visit me on Facebook!
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Einstein.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post