Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

A bird

I took the picture of the pot with a bird but I didn't like it... the bird was very soft and it wasn't that beautiful... So as I had some bird pictures I had taken time ago and I had a picture of the pot without bird... I work with two images to make this one...

This is the first time I do something like this... and it is very difficult, because both pictures had different light and well.. I tried to correct this and I gave a soft focus effect as well..

I would appreciete very much your critique on this one...

Thanks a lot in advance Smile

[Image: DSC_2494-01potbird.jpg]

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

I like what you tried to do, but I dont think it has worked properly.
The light is wrong, so maybe reverse the bird.( have him looking the other way) And it looks too big for the scene. So make him smaller, try about 75/80 %.
It is hard to mate two images successfully, but not impossible.

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

I don't think they should both be so dominant. A crop to focus more attention on the bird would work better. They are both pretty but one has to take precedence. Maybe a different crop such as this.

[Image: 76_DSC_2494-01potbird.jpg]

Sit, stay, ok, hold it! Awww, no drooling! :O
My flickr images

Thanks a lot for your comment NT, Colin...

I will work a bit more with the light and reduce the size...

I tried already flipping the bird but then I have the lit part of the bird in the shady part of the pot... I will try again anyway...

I agree with you about the crop, Colin... and I like what you did... Thanks Smile

Paul Cezanne

Here is my second try... I reduced the bird but suddently was bigger!! I think it was because of the crop... I don't know why??
I think if in this one the light is not convincing I will have to look for another bird.. where the light is not so hard...

[Image: DSC_2494-01_crop.jpg]

Paul Cezanne

I'm sorry to say that, as I see a lot of work going into this, but I agree with the others and still think it doesn't quite work. But hey, it's all getting practice!

To me the bird gives the impression of a stuffed animal, and unfortunately I can't quite nail down why that is.
But the other thing I find irritating is what is going on at his feet, which somehow blend into the stone.

I must say, my respect for your work so far, I am sure you'll get your desired result! I wish I had anywhere near your PS skills :-)

I like both pictures on their own, but I'm afraid I don't think they work together. Good practice, but I don't think the pictures will mesh easily, as the light is too different.

Canon 350D with Speedlight 580EX flash
EFS 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 II, EF 90-300mm f/4.5-5.6 USM, EF 50mm f/1.8

http://www.inspired-images.com.au

Thanks so much Uli, Schell... for your comments...

I will move on then... and yes as you said it was practice... a bit frustrating but practice anyway...

I have always admire this kind of work... because I knew it was very difficult... but I never imagine how difficult it was... I think the key of all this is the light in both pictures...

Thanks to you all for your advice and comments... Smile

Paul Cezanne

Hi Irma, I liked your first one........but have to agree with the others it's not quite natural. I think you picked a hard subject with the bird.........so much fine detail. You did a great job of it......Smile

Thanks for your comment Russ Smile

I got something already... I would have liked more beautiful birdies... but I am happy anyway... Smile

I worked with PS just a little and NeatImage to remove the noise... It was too dark... detergent to clean my windows and lots of patience Smile

[Image: DSC_2691-01birdspot.jpg]

Paul Cezanne

There you goSmile

You might get great ones too, if you spend more time behind the window than in front of your new 21" screen Big Grin

enjoy your sunday! uli

That is great Irma, I like the way you have pasted the seeds on, as well.Big Grin

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

Thanks Uli, NT for your comment... Smile

The seeds are so big...sometimes I wonder how they manage to eat them...

Paul Cezanne

Much nicer Irma. Smile

Sit, stay, ok, hold it! Awww, no drooling! :O
My flickr images

If the light is strong, you also need a shadow, or drop shadow to give more realism.
I had a mushroom photo, and put on a fairy and it looked unreal, but with drop shadow, a little blur and desaturation, it was more realistic.... If you believe in fairies.Smile

Lumix LX5.

Hey Irma... good 2nd attempt. I think with the first image, the problem (as others have pointed out) is the lighting and shadows. If you look at the pot, you can see deep shadows which cover almost 3/4 of it. The bird is evenly lit though...

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Jocko
Jul 18, 2016, 01:35
Last Post by EdMak
Oct 27, 2015, 03:02
Last Post by TonyB55
Oct 26, 2015, 12:06