Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

A Little One

Well its been a while. I have been playing around with my portrait work again . Here is a little boy that was a lot of fun to take some shots of. He was all smiles . I played around with Photoshop ( which i still have so much to learn ) .
To be honest i really like the results , and i think momma will too. And i know yall wont like the color selection on the eyes but i think this time it works .

Please tell me what you think .

[Image: sepia%20crop%20copy.jpg]

Thanks ........ Shawn

Canon 20d and a few cheap lenses ..

It is our job as photographers to show people what they saw but didnt realize they saw it ......

It don't work for me B.D. It ages him. I like pink babies. And Jelly babies.Wink

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

I didnt think about the " aging " thing. I was really tryin to get a aging photo look, not a " old " baby look. I think ill try it again.

Thanks NT .

..... Shawn

and looking at it again, it might be a little " soft " too. ( am i supposed to be critiquing ( sp ) my own shot on here ? Big Grin )

It is our job as photographers to show people what they saw but didnt realize they saw it ......

The lighting looks nice and I like his pose and the bd. If you must selectively colour his eyes, I think it should be more subtle, use the sponge tool and set it to desaturate and 50% and you'll get a nice subtle blue which might look a bit more natural. Or better yet, retain his original eye colour.

Canon 350D with Speedlight 580EX flash
EFS 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 II, EF 90-300mm f/4.5-5.6 USM, EF 50mm f/1.8

http://www.inspired-images.com.au

Hi Shawn,
That baby is beautiful! Smile

I am a sepia lover so I love sepia babies Smile I am not too keen on selective color in a sepia picture but you are right in this case works nicely..

I think the angle is too high if you could take the picture again... go down and take the picture right to the level of his eyes... Kids and babies pictures are taken this way to capture more of their features and their expressions...

You have to contrasting backgrounds in your picture and the line between both is too hard and disturbing... You can place the baby on a green or blue blanket because they won't blend with the pink of the baby easilly, and you can manipulate those colors with channel mixer and give the right contrast in your sepia conversion... Someone could hold up the edge of the blanket behind the baby so you will have the same color around the baby and in the background... There are very soft sepia treatments for baby pictures... so you could make a baby picture look very sweet... Smile

I am in two minds with the crop in your picture... I think it would be nice to have a picture with the whole baby and another one just a close up of his face...

I would love to see more pictures of this baby in sepia.... Smile

Hope my comment helps...

Irma.

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

I'm with Irma, you need a darker blanket, the white of that one is just too hot. Cute kid Smile

thanks to you all ,

All of the comments are very helpful.

Schellamo wrote
Quote:Or better yet, retain his original eye colour.
this is the color of his eyes , but i might me doing the color selection wrong. Maybe like you said with the sponge tool , and a little desaturation . I think i will play with that ( one more thing to learn Big Grin )

Irma I am still playing with other shots , i was in a hurry to take these ( naughty me ) , so i dont have to many that i liked . I will post one more later that is another that i liked out of the few. The good thing is that they are coming back so i can shoot again. I want to thank you for the angle advice . i will be sure to keep that in mind . I hate what i did with the backdrop and the white , to be honset i was going to try something else and the baby moves all over the place so i had my hands full of camera and baby most of the time ( catching him Big Grin ) .

Thanks again yall ............ Shawn

Very cute baby, and very cute pic Shawn. I think the sepia and selective colouring is nice - it's probably a personal preference. Keep it up.

Banded Drake Wrote:i was in a hurry to take these ( naughty me ) ,
With kids, your well within your rights to hurry!! Especially when they are posing that nicely, you just gotta snap it! That's great that you can do a re-shoot, good luck!

BTW if you want some baby photo/pose inspiration try www.ilovephotography.com

Canon 350D with Speedlight 580EX flash
EFS 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 II, EF 90-300mm f/4.5-5.6 USM, EF 50mm f/1.8

http://www.inspired-images.com.au

thanks for the link , it will help. Sometimes i just get mind block when i am shooting , and all the help i can get i use.