Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Wanting to Join - Is this a Scam??

Canon EOS 350D Digital Camera , 2gig Scandisk Ultra II CF Card, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Lens, EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 Lens, EF 28mm f2.8 Lens Wide Angle, Macro 58mm Lens kit (1+ 2+ 4+ 10+), Hoya 58mm PL-CIR Polariser, Optek PT3900 Pro Series Tripod

Kerridwyn's Photography Gallery

I'm not in the business nor am I a pro photographer, so I can't really comment from experience.

From reading the site, it sounds pretty good in theory. But my thoughts are that they would send the same jobs out to ALL their subscribers, which may be 20, 50, 100, or 200 or more? I guess that factor would influence the effectiveness of it... if the number is low then you stand a better chance of landing a job. If say a job ad goes out and 50 photographers call the same client... what are you success rates of landing such a job? Probably the one with the cheapest or most attractive package would win the deal. Either that, or you go after the less ideal or low paying jobs.

Also, from their FAQ it says that you'll get mostly model folios, portraits, weddings, parties, conventions and stuff like that, but very little commercial, corporate, advertising or editorial type work. And if the latter comes out, then you can be sure that due to point #1 above, the competition will be very stiff.

Then again, you never know - it could be your lucky break if you land one of these jobs, and they're so happy with your work that word of mouth spreads like wildfire, and it so happens that the model you took the photo of is the niece of the editor at national geographic, which in turn lands you a full time job there. Yes, one can only dream... Big Grin

Also, like they repeat over and over - the subscription fee isn't very much in the big scheme of things, can almost certainly be written off as a business expense, and you probably only need to land two or three jobs to recoup your costs.

Anyway, just my thoughts... there are others here who are very successful at making money from photography, so they would be better placed to make a call on this.

Canon EOS 350D Digital Camera , 2gig Scandisk Ultra II CF Card, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Lens, EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 Lens, EF 28mm f2.8 Lens Wide Angle, Macro 58mm Lens kit (1+ 2+ 4+ 10+), Hoya 58mm PL-CIR Polariser, Optek PT3900 Pro Series Tripod

Kerridwyn's Photography Gallery

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Don Schaeffer
Dec 30, 2006, 15:07