Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

A petition to sign.

http://www.petitiononline.com/guitarTM/petition.html

Cave canem

I signed, as I've been recently looking at Telecaster knock-offs and can't see how they could keep a copyright on such an old design. I know that's not entirely what the petition is about, but the end is the same.

Anyone making inexpensive Rickenbacker imitations?

Not that I know of, but I'll let you know if I see anything.

Thanks for signing btw!

Cave canem

I'm #573! There are plenty of copies of guitars being made... I know Legend (a Korean? brand) makes copies of Fender guitars, and Samick, under the name of Greg Bennett makes Gibson copies...

Perhaps they licensed the design or something...

They want to take legal action because others use the same shape piece of wood? Silly silly! What if camera makers are sued for using a lens... mmmm hahaa Smile

Good one Roo. My signature is now added to the list.

While I understand that a lot of effort and expertise go into producing a quality guitar, to then turn around and prevent someone else from doing it better and cheaper is not on...

God has placed me on earth to accomplish certain things.
Right now, I am so far behind that I will never die.

adam Wrote:They want to take legal action because others use the same shape piece of wood?

Believe it or not, according to my book on patents (birthday present), inventors can actually patent designs as well, though these "design patents" doesn't last as long as a normal "utility patent" (about 14 years if I'm not mistaken)...

Ooo.. found some info via Google:
http://www.uspto.gov/web/offices/pac/design/desfaq.html

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Rufus
Feb 16, 2005, 16:06