Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

A Study Of Icicles

The big story in my world right now is the weather.

Texas is a big state, covering more land than many countries, so while the northern parts are familiar with winter delights like snow and ice the southern part of the state where I live rarely sees them.
I think the last time I saw snow was on Valentine's Day 2004, and the time before that was 2 or three years previous.

The fun part for me is that as a former New Englander snow and sleet and ice were commonplace as I grew up. I know how to drive on ice-slick streets, how to dress in effective layers, and am familiar with laying-in supplies to get through those times when leaving the house is impossible or when the power goes out for days at a time.

Not so the average South Texan. Tongue

As the temperature fluctuates above and below freezing and the rain/sleet/freezing rain/snow fall, my city is shutting down the highways and closing the schools and businesses. All day today, the local TV stations cancelled their shows and kept the news crews working overtime.
Everyone is thrust into unfamiliar territory and it's funny to watch and listen as they say and do things that would seem foolish to much of the rest of the world.
But don't laugh too hard, lest you anger the weather Gods into showing you what our HOT summers are like. Big Grin

Since this is the first real winter weather I have experienced since getting my camera, I decided to spend today and tonight making a study of icicles--the only manifestation of the storms that is making itself felt in my sheltered little suburban valley. For some reason we just never have it as bad as the rest of the city, but hopefully we'll get an inch or two of snow tomorrow.

First we have two views of some little icicles forming under the spoiler (rear wing) of my Honda Prelude.

[Image: kak.icicles1.jpg]

[Image: kak.icicles2.jpg]

Next is a night photo of the icicles on my patio that are quite a bit larger.
For this first shot I used front-curtain flash and a tripod, to catch the drip and to balance the ambient light somewhat.
(Please click to enlarge this one)
[Image: kak.icicles3.jpg]

Here, I broke one off and brought it inside.
I was trying for a close look at the bubbles that form inside them.

[Image: kak.icicles4.jpg]

Working with a subject that melts can be challenging, but when doing studio-type shots I work rather fast so thankfully another trip outside wasn't needed.
The icicle was upside-down in a tall shotglass and lit with a bulb shining on the wall to viewer's left and behind it.

Nice shots, did you try using a polarizing filter?

Alastair says "Visit My Blog?"

alastair_hm Wrote:Nice shots, did you try using a polarizing filter?
For which situation would a polarizer have been appropriate?

I seen pictures of ice, glass, etc taken using a polarizer filter before it gives a rainbow effect showing the internal stress of the object. Thought it would be a cool addition to you series above.

Alastair says "Visit My Blog?"

Actually, what you're referring to involves both the filter on the lens and a large sheet of expensive film that polarizes the light source. Not very practical.

Using a polarizing filter alone would merely have given me a small amount of control over reflections at the cost of some of my light, which was already in short supply.
I think the reflections are necessary to convey the quality of "ice" in an icicle, so it never entered my mind.

Do icicles even have internal stresses?
I think the technique you reference is used with translucent plastics, not frozen water.

I really like that first shot Keith. It gives you an icy feeling just looking at it.

Canon stuff.

These are pretty cool. I like the color and DOF in 1 and 2. I really like the drop dripping in #3 and the textures in #4.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by PhotoPlay
Dec 9, 2013, 04:02