Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Flicker automatically makes photos "pop"!

I've always noticed that photos on flickr seem to naturally "pop". According to this site (via reddit), flickr automatically apply a sharpening filter and also maybe a saturation filter to all photos uploaded.

As a result, photos tend to look better, but I wonder whether people would want their photos to be automatically manipulated, especially if you've already put effort into post-processing your images to perfection. Then again, if it makes your photos look nicer, then maybe it's for the better?

I know we've got a few flickr users here - what have been your experiences?

I've never heard of that one before! ooo.....
I really hope they don't do that Big Grin

Much ado about nothing.

After comparing my originals with the version downloaded from my Flickr page, I can state with conviction that they are exactly the same.
No visible difference, same exact file size.

What the site in question is talking about is the thumbnails, and I don't mind if Flickr does a little tweak to the thumbnails, since I would add some sharpening myself if Flickr let me make my own.

The originals are untouched, which is as it should be.
Thumbnails usually need a little sharpening.
And I would hope nobody bases their opinion of a photo on the thumbnail without looking at the original.

I found here an example in my pictures. I don't really think that flickr plays with the saturation of the colors. But of course I can't say this for sure...

When you upload a picture it is resized in the following formats 75x75, 100X80, 240x192, 500x400, large size and original size in case you upload the original size.

My pictures for web by defaul are 640 the longest side, just in special cases I make them 800, this file that has been already resized in PS, it will be resized in flickr again. There I think, is where your picture suffers a bit of sharpening.

here is the picture of a parrot...

[Image: 98_IMG_5600-01bluehead.jpg]

Now check the blue feathers just above the peak in this two pages.

Here is the link of the page where it has been resized to 500px.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/perikita/246377093/

Here is the same resized picture on black.

http://bighugelabs.com/flickr/onblack.php?id=246377093

I see a bit of sharpening, but do you notice any change of the colors? I really don't see it.

Anyway I posted this coloful picture to have something I thought it could be a good example... Smile

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

Hehe, cool guys... this feels a bit like an episode of Mythbusters! Big Grin

I definitely see some added sharpening, Irma.
So we can agree that thumbnails plus any Flickr-resized images get some sharpening--again not a problem as long as they leave the original alone.

I usually upload files in the 800pixel--1024pxl wide range, and they are never messed with.
Since Flickr is downsizing them automatically for the first photo shown when you click on a thumbnail, a little automatic sharpening is probably a good thing, because sharpening only "works" at the final size. Reducing a sharpened image always makes it softer.

I wouldn't be surprised if photos that haven't been compressed and have a huge file size get some compression from Flickr, but all of mine are saved at a quality of 9 or 10 out of 12 in PS7, so my file sizes are reasonable--so I can't test this theory.

I'm pretty sure the claim of added saturation is wrong.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post