Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Assignment #46: Animals

Chris, that picture of the alligator... Wow! Great timing!!

Matt, they looks so sweet and so expressive... Smile Your pictures look very elegant.

Continuing with the domesticated variety I would like to add some of my Lucky.... Smile

This was a beautiful morning, I open the window to clean the windows as every.......week... Smile and she just jumped to enjoy the sun.

[Image: IMG_5797-01.jpg]

How one can tell her "get out of my sofa and leave my blanket alone!!!!" with that face...

[Image: IMG_5933-01.jpg]

On second thouths probably for my domesticated variety, I should post a self portrait, she has domesticated me so well...

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

His eyes are telling me that he wants food Now...
[Image: 100_0091.jpg]

And Chubs eyes are saying get that weird thing out of here!!!
[Image: 100_1265.jpg]

Very beautiful picture Teri.
Did you take the fish picture from your aquarium?
You have great light there.

Paul Cezanne

An odd bunch from a California field, 2 Scottish Highland Cattle, and Indian Brahman Bull and an African Watusi!

[Image: mixed%20cattle.jpg]

Teri, that's a really expressive fish - and the posing and use of lines are really nice.

Craig, I'm trying to imagine the size (and shape!) of the pen that fellow in the front must need...

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

Thanks for the comments. Yeah it is from the aquarium. Every time I walk by him he thinks Im coming to feed him and he looks at me this way every time.

That watusi is really neat! We have a guy that rescues animals here. I went there the other day and he was telling me he is suppose to be getting one of those. I didnt know what a Watusi was lol Now I do. Tongue

I had seen pictures like these ones and I had to have one!!
The other day we went to the fields and we found these beauties... Smile I wanted to take my picture with the foggy landscape and to have them in the frame but they came immediately to greet us... Well... it was not a landscape with cows but a close up then... Wink

[Image: IMG_2102-Edit.jpg]

[Image: IMG_2095-Edit.jpg]

Paul Cezanne

Those are great. I'm still chuckling over the expressions.

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

not as good or nearly as funny as Irma's, but I can join in the cow theme....

[Image: DSC_0093.jpg]

be honest... I can take it.
-

www.lukeray.com

and I found this fella chilling out by The Great Ocean Road recently.

[Image: DSC_1905.jpg]

[Image: DSC_1909.jpg]

be honest... I can take it.
-

www.lukeray.com

Luke your picture of the cow is very sweet!!
I like it!
Yesterday we were complaining why the owners have to put them some yellow earrings with numbers... they look so ugly in pictures... As I can see it is an international fashion... Wink

Very nice work with silhouettes and bokeh in your bird pictures too.

Paul Cezanne

Puppy?
[Image: IMG_7824mb.jpg]
>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>
No way! Big Grin
[Image: 17_IMG_7824ma.jpg]

And now the Full Monty. Or what to do if you only have one lens. Sorry it is a bit long.:/
[Image: IMG_7823mc.jpg]

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

My cat, asleep.

[Image: sleepingcatsmall.jpg]

Sony A700/ 16-80mm / 70-300mm / 11-18 mm / 100mm macro

My Flickr page

So you have a kitty!!
Very beautiful color... It looks so cosy in your picture.

NT your pictures are really nice... I like the way you presented this hourse... Smile

Paul Cezanne

Caesar the weimaraner came to visit for the last two days.
I used off-camera flash in an umbrella for these.

[Image: kak.caesar2.jpg]

[Image: kak.caesar3.jpg]

Beautiful exposure in the second, and fantastic expression in the first... if you were using Lightroom, I'd suggest nudging the recovery slider a bit for #1. Maybe a little less brightness or exposure compensation? regardless, very nicely done, and the nose is a great touch.

I've still not developed a workflow for flash work that I like.
I try different things and stop when it's done, I hope.
I remember that the first one had much more done to it, so I guess I should go back to doing very little.
It's always been my experience that well-exposed flash photos need almost nothing done, but I keep trying to mess them up anyway.

It's all manual exposure, jpgs of course so no Lightroom.
iso200 for a change--I'm starting to like a hint of grain when strobing, and a little more DOF bonus.
(The katydid/aloe photo was also iso200.)
If the amount of light is high enough it gives a favorable signal-to-noise ratio that masks the objectionable chroma noise, just like audio S/N ratios work.
Mask the noise with a good loud signal.

I also recall that the 1st one's DOF is artificial--they were both identical exposures and light originally.
Made a softly feathered selection around his face and inverted it, then added gaussian blur.

Problem is, I have a dozen shots from the session and they all have good points and almost no bad points, so picking is difficult.
His owner was highly impressed.
Christmas present solved. Big Grin

Lightroom works with jpegs as well. Naturally it doesn't have as much latitude as with raw files, naturally, but all of the controls still work. The core of the program -- database and DAM-lite -- is universal.

The artificial DOF on the first one is really good. I was going to comment on it earlier.

KeithAlanK Wrote:Problem is, I have a dozen shots from the session and they all have good points and almost no bad points, so picking is difficult.
Cute subjects suck. Go with all of them. Big Grin

I also took some pictures of the Hedgehog (puerco espín in Spanish). I think we don't have pictures of them in the assignment, so they will fit well here. Smile

I took them with the macro lens. Pity I didn't see the bokeh while taking my pictures, I would have played a bit more.

[Image: IMG_5378-Edit.jpg]

[Image: IMG_5387-Edit.jpg]

Paul Cezanne

From a recent visit the Vancouver Aquarium:

[Image: n634995401_2616668_9078.jpg]

"I used to think it was awful that life was so unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair and all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them. So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."
-Marcus Cole

His name was George

[Image: 90_spider.jpg]

For we have not followed cunningly devised fables, when we made known unto you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but were eyewitnesses of his majesty. 1Peter 1:16

Tonight I wanted to test some wireless flash shots and give my 28mm f/1.8 I bit of a dust-off.... and Danni kindly offered to help. Tongue

[Image: AB_A6874_ST.jpg]
1. She normally gets freaked out by any kind of on-camera flash. Even when it is bounced backwards she still knows it comes from the camera. With the flash sitting a couple of metres away she didn't mind the camera at all. I'll have to remember this trick for shooting animals. Big Grin

[Image: AB_A6892_ST.jpg]
2. She was a little curious about the occassional big white flash on the wall and ceiling... but it was far enough away not to bother her.

[Image: AB_A6897_ST.jpg]
3. "Have you finished shooting? Can I get back to sleep now?"

Adrian Broughton
My Website: www.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
My Blog: blog.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
You can also visit me on Facebook!
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Einstein.

great! I like the bw better than the color....

uli

And I love that green B/G for the kitty. Not too sure about the red cushions though.

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

I have to agree about the red being too strong, but even the expression is better in #2. It's a really charming photo.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Browser Mike
Dec 12, 2016, 17:26