Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Greetings from Michigan

Hi, everyone-- I am excited to be a part of this group. I am an "empty-nester" mom, currently unemployed but in no hurry to find another nine-to-five sentence, and have enjoyed playing around with my new Canon xti 10D, mostly around the grounds of our little estate... I find the most lovely subjects to shoot, seldom needing to leave the yard.
I do have an exciting but scary project coming up- shooting my friends' wedding in May. They're getting married in a barn, of all places, but I am game. It's a huge barn, transformed into a party/reception hall. But the halogen lighting is scaring me to death... I don't want them turning out looking like they all have a liver disorder! So, I looked online and found your very nice article about building my own studio lighting kit. I am going to try that. Perhaps any of you out there might have more suggestions for me? I would appreciate any help I can get...
by the way- here's one of my latest shots, of white crocuses in my yard...

[Image: 4_pair%20of%20white%20crocuses%20sm.jpg]
Til later, fellow shutterbugs!
Carmelitta

Welcome, Carmelitta! You'll find that it's a helpful and supportive bunch over here.

You're a brave woman taking on a wedding, but it's not impossible. I've done one for-a-friend and it turned out alright, but it was nerve-wracking. If you can get into the barn ahead of time, practice is always a real plus, even if it's just a day or two ahead at a rehearsal. I'm sure other people here will be able to tell you anything you'd like to know.

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

Welcome aboard, C!

Lost your crocuses C..?
It's like a Sherlock Holmes mystery round here. :/

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

Welcome carmelitta! Weddings are certainly a big task, so I wish you all the best!

p.s. crocuses are fixed... Big Grin

Welcome to Shuttertalk Smile

The crocuses look great!

Now I have got them, Very pretty.

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

Welcome Carmelitta!

I like your crocusses, and flowers are definitely a rewarding object to study and practise with.
As for the wedding, I have only done one so far and it was also my friend's. To be honest, I missed most of the party because of my "job", and in hindsight wondered why I hadn't asked money for it, even though the bride is my best friend. I was struggeling with my equipemnt to even view leave alone edit all of the >2,000 pics I had taken.
and even though i tried my best, I was lucky and very happy to have a co-shooter in the father of the bride, as it is very hard to always be at ALL the right places at all the important moments, something always happens behind your back.

Try to get a chance to rehearse, like Matthew said. In the end you will come out with at least a few shots that made the day worth the pain, but realistically rather don't expect to have much of a party time on the day yourself.

Do I sound discouraging? Don't mean to be!!!

Good luck, and if you have any questions, now is the time and here is a great place to ask them. A lot of people on ST have wedding experience and will be happy to help you out!

Greetings, Uli

Welcome to Shutter Talk carmelitta , good luck with the wedding . I have only shot 2 so the only advice i could give is what the others said and try to shoot RAW . You wont have to worry about the color as bad .

Nice flowers too ...... Shawn

Canon 20d and a few cheap lenses ..

It is our job as photographers to show people what they saw but didnt realize they saw it ......

Welcome Carmellita - love your flowers and good luck with the wedding, you will find lots of help here Smile

Cheers,
Pat
Canon 400D plus assorted lenses