Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Candid shots

I'm not very confident about taking candid shots 'cos I can't run very fast if anyone takes the huff ... so I'm practising getting shots without shoving my camera in anyone's face, also hoping I won't get my camera shoved into my face

I had a shuffle along the seafront last week, tried taking a few shots without getting myself 'granny bashed' Big Grin

Here's one of a fella carrying his fishing tackle along the promenade - grabbed this one as I walked past, shot from the hip with the camera over my shoulder.

[Image: tn_rods.jpg]

Another shot of a couple on a bench. Selective toning used in this one to highlight the couple. This is one of my cowardly shots, taken from behind when they weren't looking my way . Focal length 60mm

[Image: tn_couple.jpg]

Polly

Looks pretty successful Pol.

Next week, do the sensitive military establishments!! Big Grin

Cave canem

Hey - how about one of those guards in front of Buckingham Palace? The ones with them tall furry hats? Big Grin

God has placed me on earth to accomplish certain things.
Right now, I am so far behind that I will never die.

Wow, he's happy,
I see him giving two thumbs up!

Hey those are pretty good shots, Pol! I like what you've done with the old couple.

I guess that's the challenge isn't it, with candid / travel shots? You really want to capture people going about their daily stuff, and not make them self conscious (or rather conscious of someone taking their photo Smile)

Good work Polly. Candid shot is one of the hardest... any advice on the etiquette of taking shot of strangers? do you ask for permission before you take a photo?

Axeman... I've got quite a few pics of those guards with furry hats, including the full changing of guards... just don't have a scanner to load the pics... :/

Nice job on the color/BW photo. Did you use a long lens or what?
--Don

Nikon D3100 with Tokina 28-70mm f3.5, (I like to use a Vivitar .43x aux on the 28-70mm Tokina), Nikkor 10.5 mm fisheye, Quanteray 70-300mm f4.5, ProOptic 500 mm f6.3 mirror lens. http://donschaefferphoto.blogspot.com/

Thank you for the comments everyone Smile

I used a 24-90mm lens for the shots and the fella with the rods was shot at 90mm, the couple on the bench at 60mm. I was only a few feet away from the subjects ..... these were 2 of the better shots amongst a load of failures.

No - I didn't ask permission. That would defeat the objective of getting 'candid' shots. Either they'd pose or refuse. They're in a public place, a seaside resort, so it's not unusual for people to be carrying cameras.

However, it wouldn't do to 'shove' a camera' close in anyone's face so that was my challenge. I wanted shots with a wider angle lens rather than the 300mm zoom. My aim was to try to include something of the background scene without having the background too blurred so that the picci could tell some sort of story about what was going on around the subject.

I've never tried doing things that way before. I always used a long lens in the past so it was quite exciting, but a bit nerve wracking using the 24-90 and being so close to the subjects.

As for sensitive military establishments .. I'm a coward ..... so I'll leave those ones for Don. Big Grin

Polly

What do most ppl do to gain permission to take pics in street?

Just a smile and raise camera?

I've become a chicken too.

--Don

Nikon D3100 with Tokina 28-70mm f3.5, (I like to use a Vivitar .43x aux on the 28-70mm Tokina), Nikkor 10.5 mm fisheye, Quanteray 70-300mm f4.5, ProOptic 500 mm f6.3 mirror lens. http://donschaefferphoto.blogspot.com/

Don Schaeffer Wrote:I've become a chicken too.

--Don

I hope not because you're the master of the candid shot!

I was reading an article, about taking candids, a while ago and the suggestion was to blend in with the crowd, just hang about as though you were waiting for someone - and take the occasional shot as though you were idly playing with the camera. The article went on to say that the people around you soon get to ignore you and just see you as 'part of the furniture'.

Mind you - I'm still not confident enough to do that myself yet but I'm working on it.

I wanted my husband to sit on a bench with me when we were on the promenade. I suggested we'd look like any other couple just relaxing and watching the world go by. He refused, hid himself away in the camper and fell asleep leaving me to shuffle along the Prom on my own .... Huh!! Big Grin

Polly

Good tips Pol... I guess be as inconspicuous as possible... but if you get "caught" then people might get nasty. Especially with all the dramas about those pedophiles taking photos of children and such...

shuttertalk Wrote:Good tips Pol... I guess be as inconspicuous as possible... but if you get "caught" then people might get nasty. Especially with all the dramas about those pedophiles taking photos of children and such...

I wouldn't take shots of children - I also try to avoid pointing the camera in the general direction of little kids because I would also have been furious if anyone pointed a camera at my own 3 without asking my permission.

I'm always very careful about where I attempt candid shots. NEVER on private property, never in a shop, near a Bank or any other place that needs to be security conscious. A crowd on a busy street is probably safest .. but you also need to be sure there's no law against it. It's not illegal in the UK but some cultures object to having their photo taken .. so care and discretion is essential at all times.

I was once stopped by a seccurity guard in a shopping arcade as I was using a video camera, shooting a short video film. I hadn't noticed there was a Bank in the distance until the security chap pointed it out to me. I showed him the film, explained what I was doing and he was very good about it, suggested another angle and stood by me as I got what I needed. The incident made me very much more aware of what might happen.

If in doubt, leave it out! Better safe than sorry.

Polly

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by EdMak
Apr 27, 2017, 04:16
Last Post by Vanisle John
Aug 17, 2016, 17:19