Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

High in the Arctic .. .. Eskimo !!

If I type in the word........... "IGLOO" I bet you THINK you know what THAT word means !

I bet.......'your wrong" !

Here in Alaska, above the Arctic circle, from Kotzebue, up to the top of the world, Barrow & Beyond, (Kuparik).

An Iglu is a dwelling unit made out of whale bones & sod ! this was the traditional manner of living for over 2,600 years and longer

There are no O's or E's in the Inupiaq language, so the correct spelling is

Iglu = 1 dwelling unit

Iglut = 2 dwellings

Igluk = 3 or more.

Point Hope used to have a population of over 10,000 people, some of these age old Igluks are still visible today.

[Image: igloo2a.jpg]

This condo unit is collapsed, but in the 40's it once had electricity running to it.
The LOL service drop, is that stick on the left with the porclean insulator still on it.

[Image: ots02.JPG]

There are many many mounds, such as this, that are still covered, collapsed and filled in over hundreds or thousands of years long ago.
in this one spot of land. Tikigaq = Point Hope - Tigara, on ancient maps of long ago, I prefer to call it Point HoME
[Image: iglu3.jpg]

As you can easily see, some of these, were quite large inside, others had rooms brancing off to the sides, sort of like living underground, but on top of the ground, with the ground over you, made excellent insulation, once covered with snow.

But in parts of Canada and Greenland, Ice is used. Or snowblock type units, but many people don't know. Greenland was founded by the people of Point Hope, same basic dialect. Almost all villages in Alaska were founded and established by The people of Point Hope.

The oldest - continually inhabited settement or village in ALL of North America !
[Image: DSC_9292.jpg]

WowoW ! ........$10,000 fine,, for diggin in the old town site, Point Hope is now a federally protected Historical Landmark (Old Town Site)

Any artifacts found, on the ground, must be turned in to the authorities in the village, i.e. Tikigaq Corporation, or Native Village of Point Hope.
anything found on the beaches is "fair game" (chuckle) here are a couple of items, fossilized, - thousands of years old,

[Image: ar.jpg]

.This is extremly thin, very flexiblen and it fits in the hand quite well, the handle and portion of the end that the hand fits into perfectly, suggests that it was made for a "womans" hand, some type of saw everyone was telling me, for frozen fish ? Nah! I said, I will show you what this is perfect for.. and I picked it up and showed them, how, if you put this into a "bowl" and turn it around and around and around you can pick up the

"spaghetti " ! Everyone got a big laugh out of that !

[Image: pho2.jpg]

This is Point Hope, we are covered in snow and the ocean is frozen 9 months of the year. ( I wouldn't have it any other way) it is so REFRESHING, that CRISP clean cool frozen AIR.

[Image: wbgy.jpg]

This is the world famous :Whale Bone Graveyard" it is the only one in the world. Sob ! When the snow is gone, in July / August, I will post

another image of this, taken from the exact same spot, and you will not believe, what is under that snow, Over 150 people that I was very very close to, sob. This communtiy is very close, like one huge family of 800 people.. I have seen so many people die up here, through accidents, and CANCER.

[Image: ct01.JPG]

The view, FROM Point Hope towards Cape Thompson some 25 miles away, The government says we cannot hunt in this area any longer,

BECAUSE,.. we have no proof, that we have used this land during the 3,000 years! DOH IT IS THE ONLY LAND visible from where we live,

Where else would we possibly hunt ?

Brilliant people that work for the U.S. Government - Intelligence - 'Military Intelligence" an "Oxymoron" of the finest caliber in recruitment

Take an Inupiaq whaler out of an enviorment of 50 below zero - draft him and send him to the 120 degree heat in the jngles of Vietnam

My close friend Pete my apprentice on many occasions.

[Image: PETE.jpg]

Pete makes a "livinig' out of walking the beaches and finding fissilized ivory and small old artifacts and such.

Clyde Harris in Kotzebue (south of here 200 miles) was walking along the beach one day, on his way to work, he saw something short and stubby sticking out of the mud, he kicked it and almost broke his toe. He reached down to grab it and the earth moved 10 feet away, He jumped and ran home and got a shovel and dug this up.

[Image: tusk.jpg]

He was offered 15,000 for this that day, He said NO! WowoW ! Fossilized Mastadon Ivory many thousands of years old, this stuff is found all over the place up here,

Candle Alaska (south) in a hillside, there is a 20 foot long tusk in one piece stickiing out of the ice, half exposed, People have been watching this for years, There is no way to access it, too dangerous, but every summer, people go down there, to see when, it will be ready.

SOMEPLACE:
er... There is .. on the side of a big hill, A huge mastadon, in tact, fully preserved with Tusks over 20 feet long.

The elders do not want ANYONE to touch this, Photographs of this are FORBIDDEN, because if this gets shown, The elders are afraid that - .. SOME Agency, will come up here, and just TAKE IT.

[Image: 2BOATS.jpg]

There they go: this is getting serious now..
everyone is taking off SOUTH. whales are coming.. .. ..
FOOD !
[Image: BOAT08.JPG]

1:30 a.m. up for ? days.. I have no idea which day of the week it is or which part of the month it is and quite frankly who cares.
you get lost out here. you become solar powered and one day runs into the next so quickly, you don't feel tired, even though you have been awake and alert for 3 days or longer.

[Image: LOOKING.JPG]
THIS is how the day/night/weeks are spent, waiting & watching, for any sign of food. This is what hunting is all about
preparing the "gaunlet" and patiently waiting, hiding, quiet, ssshhh! low voice, just above a whisper, does that sound strange?
It sure did to me, they kept telling me, quit yelling! I was just speaking in what I considered a "normal" voice. Here in the Arctic. I soon found out. You can be 1/2 or 3/4 a mile away from someone, and hear eveything they are saying. That sound, travels a great distance, when there is no wind, you can hear someone from so far away! imagine that ! it is THAT quiet up here.

[Image: SUNROCK2.JPG]
This is the very same image you saw eariler.. with a "different" 'mood"..
[Image: WAIT4ME.JPG]
Sometimes ya gotta GO. and that means running to your favorite huge piece of ice, to hide behind, Whew COLD! WHOA !!!!!! !!! whew.. hurry up OMG is it cold. I mean COLD..ER. EST..! and when you get back.. OH ! NO!.. hey ! wait for me !! He missed the boat" literally!
another crew who were shorthanded, picked him up, and delieverd him.. five miles south !
OUT there, all you can hear is the sound of the wind, and the ice, cracking in many different places.. Sit wait and watch. that is the order of the day very day 24/7 for weeks. .. the gauntlet is set.. now we wait.. for weeks.. ! One side of your face is sweating, the brilliance is incredible, you obtain the best tan of your life.. in a matter of 10 hours.. on your face and hands only! they turn very very dark.. that sun is brilliant, the reflections are just blinding, you gotta have thick dark sunglasses out here. you will go blind.. without them ...
[Image: JOHNNYK.JPG]

You may as well get comfortable, your going to be here all day,
UNLESS something happens, and anything can happen, at any time out here.
You just never know where, when , or how it is going to happen but SOMETHING will happen.

just wait, watch & listen. and be alert. the world needs.. more "lerts".

[Image: ASLED.JPG]
Knives are being sharpened.. something is happening.. someplace
people are scurring all over the place. At this point in time I cannot understand the
Inupiaq language.! so I have no idea what they are saying.
[Image: SHARPEN_KNIVES.JPG]
But it is obvious the way everyone is taking off headed south that something

is headed this way.. the gaunlet has been moved. south.
[Image: BOAT07.JPG]

There she is.. Irrma Oktollik she taught me so much, I was always asking questions.
ha she would laugh amiiuva was the word she used so often whenever I asked a question.
ha ha.. amiiuva ("never mind")! (ah me oo vah)
[Image: IRMA.JPG]

Irma Oktollik again. you will see her, and crew members in many places throughout this thread
I was a "boyer" on her crew 3 times 88, 89, 90 . that is a lot of work, a tremendous amount of work, and to see a THREE YEAR OLD child accomplsh all of this work by himself is just startling and amazing and unfathomable in YOUR WORLD, but up here, it is "DIFFERENT"
It is the youngest boys.. that "start" out in this manner. they thought it was funny for such an "old" person to be doing the job of a "boyer" ah ha.

[Image: BILLY_WEBER.JPG]
The famous Billy Weber.. the same one.. that was running from that polar bear.. this is the man.. who got so lucky
with one bullet.. ... from a .22 on the run.. from a vicious polar bear.. NICE SHOT BILLY ! WHEW.

[Image: SIT.JPG]
SIT, WAIT watch, listen & learn, the way of the Inupiaq Eskimo steep DEEP .. in Patience! wait,.. watch.. look & listen.
[Image: REX.JPG]
Rex Rock Whaling Captain (far right) He is the one standing on top of the ice. -=WINNER=-
ALASKA PRESS AWARD 1989.. published in Alaska magazine Dec. 1990

[Image: RIFLE.JPG]

Just after this image was created, two whaling captains came up to this lady and said. please put that camera away. She said the WRONG WORDS when she pointed at me and said.. .. "but he has a camera also"! Oopps! she didn't listen to anything they said.. WHO DID YOU ASK ? for permisson to "take" ?? (she didn't understand).. HE HAS BEEN "given" permission from the Alaska Eskimo Whaling commission, The BIA, The IRA, The Elders, The whaling Captains .. who did you ask ? either put that camera away and leave now, or you . and that camera are going into the ocean.. she wisely obeyed..Many outside groups, Paramount studios, Jaques Cousteau, John Denver, BBC have tried to gain access to this village, they were all denied. especially after what John Denver did to these people! SHAME SHAME SHAME SHAME SHAME. (rip).

I DID things different. and I told them all very plainly.. I am here.. to Give.. i DON'T WANT TO TAKE.. anything.. i WANT TO "create"! and GIVE....I gave all of these images and thousands more to everyone in the village.. .. for free.

[Image: IRMA04.JPG]

Irma Oktollik a Whaling Captains wife (Umailik) tells explains to me about the whale.. I must admit, I did not beileve her. not one bit. THIS WAS TOO DIFFERENT from anything we THINK WE KNOW.. and some of what she was telling or explaining to me didn't make sense..... !
A whale is smart,one flick of his tail and it would crush us. we can't catch a whale in that small umiaq, we must wait, for that whale to GIVE ITSELF over to the CAPTAIN OF ITS CHOICE. Every captain has his own personality, that whale will always match that captains personality no matter which year it is. Whales are just like children she said. they are very smart. some are shy & timid, some will play hide & seek and some will run north & some will run south after they have been harpooned. some will give up right here and it is over quick.. Others will make a big deal about their gift and show off and make a big grand show of giving themselves. Now.. when any captain Strikes a whale. that whale will always do the same thing for that captain no matter which year it is.. and... SO DOES THE WEATHER! Irma laughed when she saw the look on my face.. How ? what ? uh uh!!! no way.. I ain't buying this one bit.. then she went on and added.. YOU ..watch. SHE SAID. AND LAUGHED AGAIN.. it is warm this year.. (it was zero out).. this is Joe's weather she said.. when Joe strikes a whale.. it is over quick. He always receives a whale very close to his camp close to shore, the ICE. That whale just gives up, right away, still motionless.. .. she laughes.. get ready.. ha ha.. because that wind is going to come in ... at over 100 mph.. and that temperture will drop 100 degress..ALL AT ONCE.. ? !!!

Well.. I just had to move everything over to Joe's camp.. to witness. the possiblity of this ever happening.. uh uh.! I was extremly sketptical and a lot more than that.. what she was describing was a frigin hurricane.... I had a friend of mine from Boston up here for this to witness tis event.. We were sitting high on top of the Ice pressure ridges in back of Joes camp.. stupid stupid stupid me.. (again).. ha ha ha.. We were playing chess and I was concentrating on that board.!!! I never heard, or saw Joes crew slip silently into the water.. and we hear BOOM (exploding harpoon) I look up, to see Joe standing arms up smiling, THEN IT HIT... ... "his weather".. .. that wind.... the temperature.. changed so suddenly..... that wind came screaming .. .. .. like a "mighty wind" a full force hurricane.. it wasn't just windy .. THAT TEMP dropped like a rock and everyone is runing .. . running... for more CLOTHES....OMG.. was it so cold.. and so windy.. there was just no way.. to capture this on film.. tripod and camera went flying.. Joe is back.. Umiaq on the ice. whale is tied off.. and he is standing into the wind. arms outstretched SMILING.. ! how did that woman know.. & spelled it all out.. in perfect detail two weeks before it ever happened!

Never UNDERESTIMATE the WISDOM of these people !... I am "CONSTANTLY" guilty of this.. ..
One Captains personality is that HIS whale.. will always play hide and seek, under the ice. BELIEVE IT OR NOT.. .. .. . This whaling Captain has to find his whale, each time, by using his .. .. "NOSE".. now. WTF. WAIT JUST A MINUTE... how can a person possiblly "smell" @ 50 below zero, through 15 feet of OCEAN ICE ? ha ha ha ha ha ha ha..!

We are talking about a lead opening, that is literally "hundreds of miles long" in each direction.! When that whale hides under the ice.... they have just 3 days to find it.. or the meat will go bad.. How do they know if a whale is hiding UNDER the ICE? because, when THIS PARTICULAR CAPTAIN strikes a whale, it doesn't matter which year it is.. His personality is matched by that whale. And that whale will always hide for that captain, no matter which year it is. His weather is "calm".. so he can "smell" ha ha LMAO. yeah..I felt just as you do now.. UNTIL I saw it happen.. oh you just gotta be kidding me.. what do you mean... "dig here" OMG.. down, down, down they go.. ha ha ha ha ha.. that has to be the GREATEST discovery method I have ever heard of in all my life. how the <<deleted by me>>can anyone claim that preposterous ability ? smell a whale through 10 or more feet of ice..

[Image: LETSGO.JPG]

FLOYD Oktollik, looking back at me, and I know exactly what he is thinking about.. ha ha ha .. "what is that dumb city boy from
Boston, going to do next!??. (chuckle).. . that crew took off, south, whales are coming, I walk over to that calm spot right there, on the left where .the ilttle curve is showing, I confidentlly place the tips of my "bunny boots" over the edge just about two inches. And I watch as that last umiaq disappears out of site beyond the horizon line.. whew..this is breathtaking.. I am all alone now, out here. The women are still all in back of me 3/4 a mile or closer, I am not worried.. Camera is on my chest via the neck strap I place my hands / arms behind my back and stand just a little bit taller, as I think.. GOSH.. this is just so wonderful.. that water is like black glass. so still and smooth like glass.. BLACK glass with a hole in there.. huh? a big hole suddenly was starring me right in the face.. that water never moved as much as a ripple. BLACK STILL GLASS with a huge hole. I could have easily stuck my leg in that huge hole. DROP a huge bowling ball in there. and there was room to spare (pun intended) OMG it is a frigin whale STOP. have you ever watched sports.? NFL - NBA the winning team will always "dump" the huge 5 gallon Gator-aid all over the coach!

5,000 gallons of "Whale-Aid' is being sprouted 30-50 feet into the air.. WHOOOOSSSSSSSHHHHHH! I am running for my life. OMG.. what a facking STINK... GAG.. cough, gasp,, I can't breathe. this stink is all over me RAINING EVERYWHERE I TURN TO RUN.. whew.. I am soaking wet. cold and this STINK is just indescribalbe I am gaging. dry heaving while running,.. and I know what is about to happen. I got a long way to run, OMG WTF is this stiink! "barf!" I got ice all over me, it is 30-40 below.. I am soaking wet with STINK ... arck.

When I approached that camp, all out of breath and still having great difficulty in breathing, them women looked up at me, Ice is hanging off me everywhere, anyplace water could drip is frozen ice. CRACKIING while I AM WALKING. half broken iceicles hanging everywhere. I stink I am soaking wet cold. those women just fell to the ground lauging hysterically.. they put 2 + 2 together very quickly.. ! stay away.. get back.. I was trying to hand my camera over to them to capture an image of what I must have looked like.. NO GET BACK.. ! falling down again laughing oh so hard.. I gotta admit.. when they went into the tent and just threw out a towel or two and said STAY OUT OF HERE. I could hear the high pitched laugh as they continued to laugh for what seemed like hours.! they just couldn't stop.

Jonah had an enoucnter with "something" from the Sea or Ocean. and it is writen in a book called the Bible.
I have had my encounter with a whale and it is written on this web site and many others..

I want to know two things!.. #1.. Whose idea whas that ? Lord ! ?? and who? Laughed the hardest and loudest.. YOU or that WHALE?

LOL , great read ! love it . But i wish you had that picture of you coverd LOL ....

........ Shawn

Canon 20d and a few cheap lenses ..

It is our job as photographers to show people what they saw but didnt realize they saw it ......

There are/ were many instances .. .. which I wish I could re-create what I looked like.

Especially when I went hunting for Ptramagin once.. Everytime that snowmobiile went into a turn, I would fall off the sled, I was carrying a huge pump action shot gun. I fell off once.. into a huge puddle, I just sat there,, and held the shot gun way over my head, and pulled the trigger.. wow.. how come? that was so loud ? I looked up, the barrell of the shot gun was "peeled" like a bannana.. too much dirt had gotten into the end of the barrel.. good thing I held it high.. when JOE returned with the snowmobile.. I wanted him to take a photo of me sitting in that water with snow all around me.. the shot gun held correctly across my chest with a peeled barrel! that would have been a great shot for Field & Stream or some Hunting magazine!

Again.. thanks for your interest in my images !

lots more to go.. the best is yet to come..

When a whale has been caught, the very first thing(s) that are done to that whale is to remove the flippers.

This is the "prize". Myra Lisbourne when she saw these captains taking that flipper out of the umiaq.. she went running like a little kid..

down to the edge of the ice to help carry that flipper. I am lookiing at her, totally amazed. her hands. OMG.. how? can she do that?

it is more than 50 below here. I am freezing, especially my hands! Atta Girl Myra. !

I am always amazed at how these people act just if they "see" a piece of "maktak" in a photograph.. they are licking their lips and smaking them.

they live, for this food. flammable fat - maktak (muck tuck).

The flippers are brought back to the village A.S.A.P. the church bell is rung over and over and over. Everyone in the village knows what this means, The flippers are brought to the homes of every elder first.. for careful inspection !

[Image: Flipper.jpg]

The work is about to begin, but first EVYERONE .. .. .. "EATS" ! The Captainis are out of here.. they are gone now. the women are all gone also, for all practical purposes, it looks as though everyone has left the ice. The cptains are getting the necessary block and tackle and ropes needed to haul this monster out of the water.. 48 foot whale. 48 tons of food.. drag it out of the water onto the ocean ice using people power only. this will take a few hundred people and more to accomplish this heavy grueling task.
Notice: the huge chunk that is taken out of the whales back. Under the water.. lower right of the image.

[Image: CALVIN04.JPG]

this must be cooked first.. We cannot eat the whalel in our traditional manner, it is too FRESH.. it must be frozen and raw. But for now. we eat, it boiled, it is grey, they hand me a piece much larger than everyone else and everyone is watchingme carefully as I am trying to eat this without "gaging" .. I don't eat fishor any sea-food.. yuk.. but this was quite good, I was surprised.. "WHAT DOES IT TASTE LIKE "? ha ha ha ha. how can I compare whale to something we eat.? Maypo & fried clams is the closest I can come to describing it.

NOW THE WORK begins.. .. 'Pull.... pull.. everyone is pulling with every bit of oomph they have.. HEY YOU. .. "put that camera away and get in line"

This is very dangous work. anything can happen, and sometimes it ends in a tragic fatal mishap.:

BARROW ALASKA 1991 (no pics) This is the set up, this is the dangerous part. when hundreds of people pull on those ropes..

[Image: rope.jpg]

This is the exact same set up. this is the dangerous part, That captain is watching the strain on the O-ring, he turned around and noticed threee visitors t

that worked at the hospital, three white women,, all dressed up, watching on the side lines.. he turned and noticed them and said.. MOVE BACK get out of the way.. MOVE BACK.. he waved to them. pointed to them.. THEY DIDN'T LISTEN.. he turned around .. checked eveyrthing and gave the signal to pull.. ALL AT ONCE. hundreds of people on those ropes giving it all they have.. as one That O-ring snapped, that huge block and tackle took off like a speeding bullet. Two of those women were decapitated instantly.. the two heads, and block and tackle slammed into the third woman.. she lived. but she will never recover from her vegtable like condition.

All that "mess" had to be cleaned up.. ... .. BACK TO WORK .. .. .. .. .. .. Life is harsh and hard sometimes here in he Arctic..

We have to do.. .. what we have to do.. and now we have to get this up.. on the ice.. so Pull.. HOLD IT.. stop !!

[Image: HOLD_ROPE.jpg]

Adjustments must be made. hold on.. literally.!! This is no easy task.. it took 17 hours to get this whale up on that ice. Due to the massive heavy weight, the ice kept breaking, we had to cut very large huge pieces off thewhale while it is in the water.. we have to make lthis load.. lighter. much lighte.

[Image: FOOD.jpg]

Everyoneis working in many areas, all at once..I hear my name called Hey Dave ! I turn around.. -=[click]=- ha ha ha ha ha.!!!

Ok that's nice for sure.. ! The biggest walk in freezer in the world. no electricity needed !

When we finally got thiswhale, on the ice. eveyrone was exhausted 17 straight hours of very hard

exhausting work. Hundreds of people bent over, huffing and puffing.. there is much more to do.

Yes we did get the whale on the ice.. now to divide it all uup.. this is going to take 3 days.! Lets go.. back to work...

no money,, no pay,,, the only force Driving the people is that they want to EAT !

[Image: 35f.JPG]

now for the tale of the whale or is it the 'whale of a "tail" ??

Baleen is a much prized substance. Once the lip is removed it reveals the hundreds of rows of baleen inside that whales mouth. 300 strips of baleen are on each side.. Long fine hairs hanging down is how the whale sifts the plankton that is ingested when all the water is taken in through the mouth and exhaled out the opening in the top of his skull.. the blow hole.. A bowhead whale has two such oles in the skull. a huge one and a much smaller one.

[Image: Bal.jpg]

It takes a few days to correctly divide a whale properly accoding to ancient traditions, everything is done the old traditional way & manner in Point Hope. Old customs are strictly adhered to very closely.

All the shares are divided up according to the order in which other umiaq's reached that whale after the captain stuck it with the harpoon.

All night long work work work.. all day long work work work.. no money, no pay.. only the right to eat.. and no one complalins at all!

[Image: Muktuk.jpg]

The skull goes back into the ocean so that a new whale will be given next year, a new whale can be receivedl. I swear that there was more rejoicing over this skull going back into the ocean than when they first caught the whale
[Image: Skull.jpg]

Whaling Festival coming next : >

Whaling festival.. was held on June 10th. the night before very strong north winds broke the land fast ice and all of the ice was blown out to sea. One last umiaq is in the water still trying to receive just one more whale.. .. .. it never happened !

[Image: BIGjesse.jpg]

Whaling festival June 10th 07 .. .. 3 whales were received this year. each whale was about 30 ft in length. That is no where near enough to feed a village of 800 + people.

but the celebration was fantastic, we had visitors arrive here from as far away as New Orleans. 3 family members came up for this event and they were blown away by the festive celebration that was 3 days non - stop.. YOU ARE ALL INVITED next year for whaling festival, if you so desire. BRING YOUR CAMERAS and plenty of flash cards.

DVD's can be made for all of your images as a special price.. (FREE) !

[Image: welcome.jpg]
J.J. Russell Lane was one of the successful whaling captains this year. J.J. got two whales and almost got a third one, but that whale got away. It was seen in Wainright, but two whales were guarding it. one on each side. which only means one thing.. J. J. did a no no.. he struck a pregnant whale and that is prohibited by the elders. That is wrong.

[Image: welcome2.jpg]

J.J.'s mother.. Suyuk is congratulating him for his success this year. This was J. J.s very first whale he has ever received, and as such he received no shares from this whale,. all of his shares must go to the elders.. and.. .. .. the oldest woman in the village, Rosemary Oviok gets to pick.. .. ANYTHING.. she wants from his house.!! J. J. held his breath as he asked Rosemary Oviok.. what do you pick? She laughed as she saw the worried look on his face. I am not going to take something big she laughed.. all I want is your VHF radio !! J. J. smiled really big and said.. I will buy you a brand new one.. If she had said.. I want your snowmobile or your truck. he is bound by tradition to hand over anything she asks for! He was very happy she only choose the VHF radio!! Although J. J. does not receive any shares from his very first whale, each of the crew members of all the other crews pitch in a small portion of their shares so that the captain has food for his family.

EACH crew is honored at the whaling festival.. Each crew that was successfull. Lanes crew is dressed in blue. Issac Killiguvk's crew is dressed in white. you will see them and meet them all later.!!

The successful umiaqs are hoisted high for all to see as these umiaq's are honored at the whaling festival also.

[Image: WF_captainsumiaqs.jpg]
The wind was straight out all day long as these flags easily show. That north wind just never stops. It is relentless day after day all year long. Occasionallly it will shift to a south wind but not for long. A strong west wind is what we need to bring fossil ivory upon the beaches. This usuallly happens in August and we are eagerlyl awaiting that time of year to see what we can discover and find.
[Image: WF_captainsumiaqs02.jpg]

Anavak Lane, J.J.'s wife is in the fur parky. Happy that her husband is the main guest of honor at the festival.

Elizabeth Oviok, Postmaster of Point Hope is handing out mikiiaq (Mick E uck) fermented whale meat. this is a rare delicacy, and a big warning goes along with this meat.

THIS CAN KILL YOU.. DANGER !!!

[Image: eos.jpg]

you must be very careful if your going to eat this fermented whale meat. if you have had any sugar that day.. DO NOT EAT THIS MEAT. no fruit, no sugar of any type, no candy, no soda pop. nothing that contains any sugar or you will surely die.!!!!! When this meat is eaten, it "boils" in your stomach releasing toxic gasses and all is well. But if you have had any sugar that day.. that boiling will Harden over with a crust and the gases cannot escape and the person dies from botulisim !! Henry Attanguana died in this manner in 1989 he forgot he had a can of soda pop earlier in the day. NO THANKS.. I am playing it safe I have in my backpack a two day old slice of pizza fermenting between two peanut butter & jelly sandwiches!!

Now for a real very special treat !

Live Eskimo dancing w/ video's informal

2.7 meg

5 meg

5 meg

8 meg

I tried to zip them up but there was virtually no difference in file size. I tried to rar them, again, no difference in file size except 15k so these are in original format !! ENJOY !!

Dancing:

http://majikimaje.com/Dance/Luke.wmv

http://majikimaje.com/Dance/Henry.wmv

http://majikimaje.com/Dance/Irma.wmv

http://majikimaje.com/Dance/TheEnd.wmv

So to review just a bit of what you have seen so far... Whaling (April - May).

Whaling Festival, (June)

July is just as exciting starting off with 4th of July parade and games and activities that last the entire day far into the evening, ending at Midnight! Then the "dancing" begins for hours! These people know how to have fun and celebrate.

Now although this is July, it is not HOT.. well yes it is 30 degrees with an ever present North Wind but it is too warm for what we are comfortable with. The following images of this season speak for themselves,.. sorta.. !!

[Image: July4th00.jpg]

[Image: July4th01.jpg]

[Image: July4th02.jpg]

[Image: July4th03.jpg]

[Image: July4th04.jpg]

[Image: July4th05.jpg]

Deva Stone, sob, cry. A very close friend, sob. I honestly can't understand how her Momma can possibly get up, to face the "day" each day. SOB. CRY!
Rosella Stone is her momma, and I have been very close to Rosella since 1981, I don't know how this woman can wake up, and smile. She has buried.. ..
six of her Children ! Sob, all very close close personal friend of mine and I grieve so much to think about these six individuals that I was so so close to.

Rosella Stone is a miracle worker here in the village, she hs gifted with "healing hands" she is a tribal doctor. I could litlerally spend hours telling you about tribal doctors and what they can achieve that defies all of what we think we know about modern medicine. Perhaps the most famous Tribal Doctor ever was Della Keats from Kotzeube, she is a lengend here in the Arctic.

Deva & Her Husband Ned Weber @ whaling festival.

[Image: neddeva.jpg]

Ned & Deva had a daughter, Rose-ann. She was adopted by Rossella.

Rose-Ann was over my house, lots, she was very interested in my youngest son Khristopher, she was 18, My sons, especially Khristopher, would teach her how to make Ivory bracelets, she was interested in learning how to carve Ivory and make extra money as she had no job. Khris is 19. I CONSTANTLYkept telling Rose-Anne.. (half-pint) was my "nickname for her as she was very tiny. I constantlyl harped and preached to her, DO NOT DRINK ALCOHOL I have seen too many people die up here over that deadly filthy vain vice. I do not drink alcohol only because I "saw" too much when I was growing up as a teenager.

RoseAnne is gone now, sob.. .. .. 18 years young, went to a PARTY. (gosh how I hate that word). went to a party and died when she passed out from too much alcohol and choked on her vomit.!!! My son was devastated !! When he heard the news.. .. here in Barrow !!! SOB, how many people have died up here in this tiny village from Alcohol !

I constantly preach to my 4 sons, the dangers of parties & alcohol. I am serious when I say, I have told my sons, you are not leaving home, until your 40 !!!! Your not going to mess up your life @ the age of 18 or 22 like so many young adults do, married and divorced paying child support before they even have a chance to experience the fullness of joy in life.

Lets look, from the air and see, up close and personal what is going on up here in this vast huge unexplored & UN-inhabited area for all practical purposes.

Leaving Pt. Hope.. .. bye bye !!

[Image: byebyePt.Hope.jpg]

A few minutes into the flight we pass the Kupak river..

[Image: river.jpg]

Oh .. I smile BIG as I see and remember what happend to me here. TOTALLY PREPOSTEROUS!

My Experience Here !!

Lets take a trip and explore some of the land here in the Arctic.

some of what I am about to tell you will seem preposterous, but just ask ANY PERSON that lives in any village from

Nome clear up to Barrow, all of the villages of the entire North Slope Region, will tell you that what I am about to TRY AND EXPLAIN is "true". Do I have photos ? not yet, but working on it, there has to be a way to prove this.

with recent giant advances in technology I am sure it will become possible to "catch" & record proof of the Ignaugalurauks.. .. The Little People, that live underground, and in caves here above the Arctic circle.

This is no legend, or folklore, as new sightings are prevelant constantly, each and every year.!!

[Image: mountains.jpg]

I will tell you stories and provide photographs of all that "can be seen" in this vast huge expanse of area of several hundred thousand of square miles. THINGS HAPPEN OUT HERE.. .. ... ... that just do not make sense!!

For instance.. ha ha.. you are NOT GOING TO BELIEVE WHAT I AM ABOUT TO EXPLAIN.. you have to be here to experience

these happenings, no matter what I type, you will be very skeptical and doubtful ONLY because.. you know better, this does not happen where YOU LIVE.

therefore: ??

Lets start.. .. at the beginning so you have a better understanding of what is going on up here.. .. frequently, reports abound.. .. in each and every village!!

This is a vast area we are talking about in square miles.

roughly the size of ALL the New England STATES put together.. .. EMPTY !!

Ok.. nOW A Long TIME before the whaling companies arrived .. .. .. The Ingnakalaurak's LIVED AMONG the people of Point Hope.

One of their young was eaten by a dog.. .. and they moved out of the village. These people are small, 3-4 feet in height!

They live the ol ways, to this very day, dressed in caribou skins. They still hunt with bow & arrow. They live underground, and in caves all throughout this vast area.

They possess super human qualities, that you WILL NEVER BELIEVE:

They are incredibly strong and they can run, incredibly fast.. they sneak around the villages "stealing food".

When any hunter, shoots and kills a caribou, it requires two adult Inupiaq men to lift that caribou to place on a sled. It only takes ONE Ingnakalaurak to pick one up ...........and RUN WITH IT. Over his head (person carrying animal) running, with a dead caribou. Bush Pilots have reported seeing caribou.. moving, quickly, in a horizontal position

Well, lets stop right here and let me extend an invitation to you. Anyone, come on up here, talk to the bush pilots.

They will tell you.. what they have seen with their own eyes, but you will not believe them, becuase, YOU KNOW BETTER. even though you have never been up here or heard of this before.

Come on up !! See and experience it for yourself.

HAVE I GOT YOUR ATTENTION NOW ??

good. I have no need to lie or exagerate about any of what goes on up here. I have no problem with the truth however I do have a huge problem with Liars and phoneies. that is why I stay up here in the Arctic.. Heaven on Earth. IMHO.

Luke Koonuk Jr. was recently, out hunting, many miles from Point Hope, Imagine this, you travel hundreds of miles into a vast empty area, Luke's 4 wheel honda was stuck in the mud. He had tried and tried and tried to lift, move or budge it to get it out of the ruts to get free. He was exhausted bent over huffing and puffing, Exausted, bent over,.. .. suddenly out of the corner of his eye he sees,.............His honda rise in the air and come bouncing down on firmer ground and somethibng, a blur, was running away.

When ANY HUNTER IS LOST.. .. .. stuck. .. .. in trouble.. these people appear out of no where to assist and wisk away..Gone in a flash.

TOO MANY people up here have had too many experiences,.. .. !! I could go on and on with stories of what goes on up here and I promise to tell .. all I have experienced during my almost 3 decades of living among the Inupiaq peoples.

Hunters, experienced hunters often talk about caribou that they have shot & killed. Dead. & it disappears before they reach it.

Make no mistake, these people are very good in what they do, they are perhaps the best hunters in the world.

Jump on a 4 wheel honda or a snowmobile, and go 200 miles out into this empty region.....@ 50 below zero and stay out there for weeks... YOu see a caribou and shoot it, it falls down, motionless, they wait and watch. have a smoke. wait and watch. We do not waste time out here, driving. gas is too expensive. well over 5,00 per gallon for years up here.

That caribou is dead, said Joe Oktillik, I got on my machine and drove over those hills,. and ?? where is it? I know this is the spot, there is no blood anyplace, no tracks to the left or the right and no tracks going straight ahead...The last place I looked Joe said.. .. was up ! Caribou is gone, no tracks?

This happens a lot up here.

I am not going to waste time here tring to convince anyone. Come on up.. .. go out there.;. and see what happens. I can be your guide. Or connect you to a reputable source. The best time to come on up here, is in June during whaling festival, in Barrow; I live here now, and I am inviting any and all that wish to see, experience, life in the arctic. Although my house is small, I can comfortably fit 4 people @ any time. I have two spare rooms in my two story house here in Barrow Alaska. There are 5 adults living in this toasty warm house and two rooms to spare for any who wish to visit the Arctic @ the top of the world in Barrow. There are also a few hotels in town, but they do not offer free home cooked meals,5 times per day if necessary !!!

So lets talk about "what goes on up here in the arctic... ... ...

STRANGE THINGS YOU WILL NEVER BELIEVE!!!!

there is so much more to come.!!!

[Image: groundzero.jpg]

This one of the main beaches we hunt for fossil ivory, located some 30 miles north of the village. This is one of the great hot spots for ivory due to the swift, strong, changing currents in this area. May - Sept, people live out here for weeks on end, digging, walking, moving huge rocks, climbing cliffs and searching high and low.

The end of August in one area, this fossil ivory floats up and along the beach @ midnight. That is the best time to sit and wait and watch, People stay out here, waiting for an East wind to kick up the surf, and in storms people are out, waiting watching, You can "hear" the ivory in the waves, that distinctive "ping" as gravel hits the ivory as it is tumbling in the waves, some people have tied ropes to their waist and are secured as they run into the waves to "fetch" a piece that is seen. Some of these "baseball" bat size fossil tusks fetch many thousands of dollars when sold. The darker the ivory is, the more valuable it is. Black Ivory is said to be 10,000 years old, for it to achieve that state of absorbing all of the elements of the sea, Point Hope has the most dramatic fossil Ivory that I have seen any place. In Barrow the fossil ivory is different. because it just "sits" in the sand, the patterns are dull instead of sharp, dark contrasting patterns, such as we find here in Point Hope. But non-the-less, fossil ivory is a way of life up here. After any storm, get out on your honda or just walk the shoreline, put in the time.. .. and you will find it. I guarantee you it will sell in less than a new york second and that is pretty fast !@!

After flying for an hour an a half, we come across the next village, Point Lay,

250 people, if that Live in this village.

[Image: Pt.-Lay03.jpg]

Very few jobs in such a tiny village, and people have to provide a way / manner in which to live without having a "job". What are the other choices ? Hunt, fish, for food, Arts & Crafts, for cash ! The Barge has arrived, which is an annual event that all villages depend upon. Seattle - Top of the World with stops in each village usually lasting 3-5 days to unload the materials needed to survive through the next winter.

The don't go whaling in Pt. Lay, too far out, too much work, they do hunt beluga whales & walrus & plents of "fish" of all types, but for whaling, different people travel to different villages to take part in which is undoublty the best two months of the year. Living out on the ocean ice .. .. just can't be put into words, I can't. The rush, the excitement, another world, another planet ! HIGH IN THE ARCTIC .. .. !!

After another 1 1/2 hours we come upon the village of Wainwright, Population about 650. Nothing else exists upon the land between these villages for "human type" cities, settlements. this vast region is empty. ?? ha ha ha !

[Image: wain.jpg]

People, ?? have been spotted, observed, in all of these village areas, during the winter time, when it is dark out, & even when "light" out, as was reported by many individuals one July in 1988. It was about 2:a.m. in the moring, sun is bright and just like 2 in the afternoon in the summer, nice and bright.

3 different individuals from three different homes, looked out their kitchen window, toward.. Kamaqtoak "this was their view"

[Image: Kamaktoaq2.jpg]

this image and the snow fence way off to the left side, This event took place between the 2 large whale bones and the snow fence. I must admit when I first heard this.. from a close friend, I did not beieve it one bit, then another person from a different house told me the same story, I still did not believe. Then a person who witnessed this told me what he had seen.. I was shocked, astounded and my mouth was hanging wide open, only because this person was not an Eskimo.

I had known him for many years, and we spoke quite often and I was amazed at his articulate speech & intelligence, He was very well educated in California.

When Joe told me this story the hair stood right up on the back of my neck.

This was a different Joe, 800 miles away, near Nome. Joe Garney, He has been on television on the history channel and I have met him in person and we spoke for over 4 hours, whew.

But Joe Cassados in Pt. Hope was telling me what he saw during the daylight hours. Something black, darker than black, was "spooked" behind the snowfence, looking, agitated, scared. He darted out from behind the snow fence and ran to the bones @ Kamaktauk. He is scared, hyper-active, peeking from out behind the big bone, looking in all directions scared, This "blacker than black" figure is noticeably very afraid of "something' ?

Then this figure all "black" - blacker than black. darted out from behind the bones and started to run back towards the snowfence. STOPPED. half way... and just a figure skater will spin, on the ice... this figure began to spin,.. ... on the dry tundra,...

and went down, down, down, clear out of sight !

Joe Garney in a small village near Nome Alaska tells a story much similiar of blacker than black figure with red eyes.. walking acrouss the tundra as the figure is going down down .. just like it is walking down "invisible stairs".

Quite a few sightings in the last couple of years in Point Hope of these red eyed figures, Darting quickly under a house, and disappearing.

One particular hunting cabin outside of the village near some very old graves, this cabin had to be burned down and destroyed. Stranger than strange events took place on a very regular basis here. Witnessed by too many people from Pt.Hope reported, hearing someone knocking on the door, Faces in windows when no one else was around. Objects flying through the air inside of the house. This house was burned down because of the repeated freaky events that took place on a regular basis.

I always find your posts fascinating. Great stories and photos.

Exciting! Turn it into a book. You would sell millions. Smile

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

More fantastic stories - great to hear from you again.

Canon stuff.

Unfortunately these images are not the size I had hoped for:

and thus the "english" is difficult to read. so for those who can't understand the Inupiaq words (chuckle) I will post the english translation below :

[Image: nsb01.jpg]

COMPASSION

Though the environment is harsh and cold, our ancestors learned to live with warmth, kindness, caring and compassion.

[Image: nsb02.jpg]

AVOIDANCE OF CONFLICT

The Iñupiaq way is to think positive, act positive, speak positive and live positive.

[Image: nsb03.jpg]

LOVE AND RESECT FOR OUR ELDERS AND ONE ANOTHER

Our Elders model our traditions and ways of being. They are a light of hope to younger generations.

May we treat each other as our Elders have taught us.

[Image: nsb04.jpg]

COOPERATION

Together we have an awesome power to accomplish anything

[Image: nsb05.jpg]

HUMOR

Indeed, laughter is the best medicine!

[Image: nsb06.jpg]

SHARING

It is amazing how sharing works. Your acts of giving always come back.

[Image: nsb07.jpg]

FAMILY AND KINSHIP

As Iñupiaq people we believe in knowing who we are and how we are related to one another. Our families bind us together.

[Image: nsb08.jpg]

KNOWLEDGE OF LANGUAGE

"With our language we have an identity. It helps us to find out who we are in our mind and in our heart."

Lee Barger, 1986 Iñupiat Language Convention.

[Image: nsb09.jpg]

HUNTING TRADITIONS

Reverence for the land, sea and animals is the foundation of our hunting traditions.

[Image: nsb10.jpg]

RESPECT FOR NATURE

Our Creator gave us the gift of our surroundings.

Those before us placed ultimate importance on respecting this magnificent gift for their future generations.

[Image: nsb11.jpg]

HUMILITY

Our hearts command we act on goodness. Expect no reward in return. This is part of our cultural fiber.

[Image: nsb12.jpg]

SPIRITUALITY

We know the power of prayer. We are a spiritual people.

If you wish a more intimate view and knowledege of these people(s).

Please visit : And Join !

Hello Hello from the land of the Eskimo - in Barrow TOP of the WORLD.

Here is perhaps the most well known site in the entire village, The Arch of the two Jaw bones from a Bowhead Whale.

[Image: barrowarches.jpg]

But these were put here, not by the people of Barrow.. .. People of Point Hope came up here to show and help them how to do this in the ways of Tikigaq ! in 1964.
An Elder informed me of this little tidbit of info about the Arctic. Ron Oviok from Point Hope. He was my former landlord in Point Hope, In one of the many different homes have rented in the village.
Its that time of year again, it is time to go whaling.. new skins need to be put on those umiaq frames !! Clean skins or the whale will not give up its gift to the hunter of its choice.
New skins are hanging, drying in the wind. To stretch and stretch and sewn together to cover that wooden frame.
[Image: 2ugrukskins.jpg]

These are thousands of years of age old traditions that must be strictly adhered to. The whale can see, hear, smell. They know the personality of that hunter. They know his umiaq each and every year, the same whales with the same hunters in the same umiaq. Whales are SMART. they will only give up the sacrifice to the hunter of its choice.
[Image: 2umiaqsnowbrw.jpg]

Everyone has had a whole year to get ready. That Captain must spend many thousands of dollars to feed his crew and provide the supplies, ammuntion, meals for 8 hunters many times each day. There is lots of very difficult hard work to do out on that ice. If you want a much closer view of Barrow by the best there ever was up here. Bill Hess is most respected person up here. He lives in Wassilla but has made many trips to Barrow in his own private plane. The Gift of the Whale by Bill Hess - a MUST READ ! that will keep you utterly spell bound. I now know how you feel when you read this thread. I felt the excitment all over me reading his exceptional book 289 pages with oodles & oodles of fascinating images that had me breathless page after page. (Gasp !!)

I was shocked .. .when I found out, we each began our quest in the same year. In fact when he was in Point Hope in 82,after the hunt I was in the darkroom processing all this film, we have never met. but his name is a 'legend' and well respected at that.

We have spoken on the phone years ago, But this book is wonderful. and he verifies many of the stories and customs that I have written about. I felt like I was beside him the whole time. I will read - reread and read that book many times. The rush was incredible !!

Whacky. A razor-sharp experience, this whole thread...glad you're still in touch. The spiritually sentient whale stuff doesn't quite ring as true for me, but yet again I don't get these in my back garden. I'd love to view the latest shots but I'm getting a "forbidden" error when I do for some reason.

All my stuff is here: www.doverow.com
(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

I am currently living in Barrow Alaska since last August 7th.

Here are some photos of whaling festival that was recently held here in town. the temp is 55 degrees. You would never think that, looking at peoples hands, and the wind from the ice, keeps it very cold, even at that temp.

Now fast forward 2008 - Barrow - Whaling Festival !

Barrow does everything 'different' from Point Hope.

whaling is different, festivals are different, Point Hope (Tikigaq) is the oldest of all villages and as such they strictly adhere to and employ all the age old traditions that the elders insist upon. Centuries old, Millenia Old traditions, ingrained into their unique lifestyle / culture that must be studied and understood for their wisdom.

[Image: fg.jpg]

Here we are for the first of four festivals held in Barrow this year. These images were created on June 21 of 08. How hot is it where you live ? Here in Barrow it is 50 degrees. that sounds very warm but it is very cold. As you view some of these images, you will easily see and discern that people have their hands hidden (for warmth). The wind is bitting cold, keep your ears covered, ear infections are extremly common here for adults & children alike. The wind will change many times during the day, Wind is a must to learn and understand here, out in the tundra or on the ocean ice, that wind is the key to survival, Death is what awaits if you ignore the warning signs of wind. In the village itself, you are protected from the elements of disaster which are significent in other locations, i.e. Ice movement(s), the freezing rain, ice storms, etc.

Each whaling festival, no matter which village, begins with prayer and thanksgiving . Food & drink is the main course for many hours & hours. Then blanket toos and Eskimo Dance. the festival day is over and it ends.. except in Point hope. it goes on for 3 days non - stop for all practical purposes. Rosemary Oviok (86 year old elder) says that in the old says. they would stay out there for those 3 days. no matter what the weather, rain, snow, sleet, freezing rain, they stayed and gave thanks and celebrated!

[Image: Patkotak_crew1.jpg]

Handing out food, waiting in line, servers serving the elders first. Coffee,Tea, Hot chocolate is constantly brewed in these two tents that you will see. Hundreds of people are present for the day's activities, Barrow has a population of 5k give or take, But in comparision, very few people attend, not quite what I had expected at all to see. In Point Hope, Everyone shows up. plus visitors from all over the states and all over the world.

[Image: Patkotak_crew2.jpg]

The weather will change constantly here in the Arctic. When those flags are not moving, Something is about to change, suddenly, watch, learn !!

[Image: coldnowind.jpg]

One of the most common indicators of how cold it is outside, look at peoples hands. study the way people are dressed for 50 degrees ! that is very hot for the arctic, with no wind. Once that wind is moving, the chill from the ice, as the wind blows over it, makes it very cold outside.!!!

[Image: fish.jpg]

Boxes and boxes of frozen fish are brought to the festival site, It took less than two minutes to unload this huge trailer and setup the boxes on the table for everyone to partake of more of themany different native foods served here today
[Image: fish2.jpg]

Tony Bryant (Point Hope) is here in Barrow, asking this young whaler who old he is. The merging of the wood in the background and the woman raising her two fingers make this image perplexing and interesting indeed.
Tony Briant is an 'actor' in a new movie about Barrow that was recently made here.
In January, filmmaker Andrew Okpeaha MacLean, originally from Barrow and Fairbanks, walked the red carpet with familiar Hollywood faces at the Sundance Film Festival. His film, which in English means "On the Ice," was chosen as one of 83 special selections of short films out of 5,000 films sent.
More recently, the film collected awards for screenplay and directing at the First-run Film Festival at New York University, where MacLean completed his graduate studies.
Inspired by Sergio Leone and other Western filmmakers in the 1950s and 1970s, "Sikumi" is an "Arctic western" featuring a fictional treatment of a real-life situation.
Apuna, the lead character in this Inupiaq-speaking film, crosses the sea ice several miles north of Barrow on a dogsled when he witnesses a community member in the act of murder. Isolated from anyone and anything, both men face tough questions about their morality "outside the bounds of society," according to MacLean.
"I was thinking about how the characters would react to this situation and how they would react as Inupiaq people, taking into consideration our concepts, values .
"'Avoidance of conflict,' this is how this character would deal with this situation," MacLean said.
"He wouldn't try to subdue the killer but tries to find way to bring the killer to realize the magnitude of what he's done — bring justice within himself."
All three men playing in this film are local actors from Barrow. Brad Weyiouanna plays Apuna, Tony Bryant, with family ties to Point Barrow and Point Hope, plays Miqu, and Olemoun Rexford plays Taqi, the murdered hunter.
MacLean wrote the film as his master thesis project for the filmmaking program at NYU.
This is MacLean's second film to appear at Sundance. His first film, "Seal Hunting with Dad," or "Natchiliagniaqtuguk Aapagalu" in Inupiaq, was a documentary inspired by MacLean's grandfather's life and was screened at the New York Museum of Modern Art in April 2005.
MacLean's films are primarily shot in Alaska and focus on the Arctic and the Inupiaq culture. While living in Barrow before leaving for film school, MacLean co-founded the first Inupiaq-speaking theater company. Both Rexford and Bryant had acted in the theater prior to making films with MacLean.
MacLean has dedicated himself to promoting the preservation of his Native tongue.
Familiar with the language from home but not a fluent speaker, MacLean taught himself the language with the help of his mother Edna Agheak MacLean, who is a well-known linguist. His mother also helped translate the film's script from its original English version to Inupiaq, according to MacLean.
"Most of my generation grew up around the language but couldn't really speak it myself, and I was feeling something was missing," MacLean said.
"I tried to teach it to myself and tried to find ways to use it — one of the ways that has been effective is in theater and film pieces that I make," he said, "I want to get it to be used in a more public way as part of the media."
"Everywhere you look there is pop culture reference to Eskimos, but no one has seen Inuit culture as expressed by Inuit people," MacLean said.
"People are very curious about it and definitely respond to that."
MacLean's next goal is to make a full-length feature. He is working on the script for that project.
Another project under the works is a documentary film about the effects of global warming in the Arctic.

[Image: 3plus.jpg]

The servers assigned to each crew walk around to make sure everyone receives a portion of the many varied types of food prepared for this event. Mikigaq is the main delicacy served. This food is dangerous to eat. Just make sure you have not had any sugar products that day. It is possible to die from Botulisim if you have sugar in your system and you eat this food. I always smile and say 'no thank you" I'll pass on this treat !

[Image: mikiaq.jpg]

Many different types of soup are available,

Fresh caribou soup,

Fresh duck soup of many different varieties !

[Image: soup.jpg]

Just be patient and wait, Food is served where you sit. You are waited on by many servers that are part of each ot the two crews that were successfull this year in receving a whale.
some of the elders even bring their own favorite bowl, to make things easier for the servers that are passing out food to everyone that is here at the festival grounds.

[Image: soup2.jpg]

There are three more festivals for Barrow this year. the 26th - 28th & 30th. Hurry if you want to visit and enjoy a day you will never forget !!

June 30th The Governor of the Great State of Alaska arrives for Blanket Toss

Introducing Governor Sarah Palin

Yes it is true. The Governor of the State of Alaska is on the blanket, she is pregnant so they had to be gentle ! Go Sarah go !! The weather was perfect, a most spectacular day indeed. Up she went, just a few feet. Into the air and back down safely. The crowd around her was massive, it was dificult to even begin to get close to where she was, Immediatly upon her arrival she was swarmed from all directions. This brilliant woman has done something no other governor in the U.S. has ever attained .. 86% approval rating ! That is unheard of .. .. .. in any state by any governor ever !! That was just the most wonderful news item to hear over the television on the news !! I stood up and applauded !! Its about time we have someone who knows the importance of telling and speaking the truth. I am so sick of having to put up with people that choose to lie, to impress others
[Image: govPalin.jpg]

It is no easy task to maintain your balance when that blanket is moving up and down, learning how to walk the blanket takes much practice. Governor Palin exhibited her true skills in her first attempt at nalakutaq !!Bending her knees when she landed prevented her from falling over. Go show Governor !! Atta Girl !!

[Image: Palin2.jpg]

The crowd was pressed on all sides, people wanting to get close to this incredible woman, who has shown the people of Alaska that she truely cares about the people of this Great State of Alaska.

[Image: looking.jpg]

Oops, she sees me, !!! It is obvious !! - We had a good quick chat and a hearty laugh !!
Now for some of the not so common blanket toss !!

[Image: upsidedown.jpg]

Nope I am not going to attempt that !

[Image: candy.jpg]

IN Barrow, during blanket toss, candy is thrown, and it is for the children of the village that are present at the sides of the blanket. In Point Hope, the tradition is totally different and with meaning ! Candy that is thrown, money, furs, and any other 'gifts', are for the 'elders' only !! Fierce competition is witnessed as the oldest women in the village, compete with one another to grab that prize. women in their 80's and up, running, jumping, diving head first into that gravel to claim their prize. A person only has to witness this once, to see how much different Barrow is from Point Hope in celebrating its culture of many thousands of years.
Blanket toss had its origns down at the lead opening FOR MANY THOUSANDS OF YEARS for one purpose and one purpose ONLY !! Hunters would toss a hunter or captain into the air, for only one reason, to see if any animals are migrating through the lead opening ! that was the only purpose ! Everyone out on that ice pack is well aware of the wind and the dangers it presents, As long as that wind (Point Hope) is from the North, (prevailing wind), Life out on the ice continues day to day. No wind ? same situation applies, but everyone is instantly aware of what that can mean or represent. A change is coming.. .. if the North wind continues then all is well.. THE ONLY time, people 'killigvaq' (evacuate the ice in mass panic) is when that wind shifts to south wind. The North Slope Borough published a book in the early 80's, everyone in each village received a copy of this thick blue book. It was published by the 7 sisters - The common name for the Oil companies! this expression is heard all over the place in Prudhoe Bay. Back to the book, I am not able to correctly spell the name of that book, Puiiwiichaq But it was in this book that elders of all villages told stories of long ago, and it was in this book that I read Dina Frankson (Point Hope) tell of when she was out on the ice and a south wind would arrive, they would take a new born child and strip that child of all clothing and hold that child into the wind and move the child in the direction they NEEDED the wind to change so they could stay out there, and hunt for food !!
Again Point Hope is way different from Barrow and as such I will present it in both views.. In Point Hope, the entire community of 700 people head out to the ocean to live on that ice pack for the entire two months. In Barrow a very small portion of the community is directly involved in the activities out on the ocean ice.

[Image: fall.jpg]

Landing correctly is not as easy as it might appear, candy is still flying all over the place from some of the pieces landing on the blanket itself. Each time that blanket is raised, the candy and the person on the blanket go high into the air. In Point Hope, only a woman that has given birth to her first born may get on the blanket to throw 'gifts' to the elders !!

[Image: sit.jpg]

Form, and laughter are the other aspects of blanket toss. what posture or position can you achieve during those 2 seconds in the air ?? Each person has their own unique style of jumping, and what to do once you are airborne.

[Image: niceform.jpg]

Award winning form, of walking in the air, is very difficult to achieve. Much skill and practice is the only way to gain these skills. This is not like jumping on a trampoline. Nalakutaq is all together different !

[Image: cake.jpg]

Two successfull crews are honored, two huge cakes, Lots of dessert !! Yummy !

[Image: Llane.jpg]

Lillian Lane (Johnson) from Point Hope sings an Inupiat song and recites a poem. There are always quite a few people here in Barrow from the village of Point Hope. These people in all of these villages are very close to each other no matter which village ! In such a vast area you would not think it possible for the different vilages to be in constant communication with each other but through the VHF radio(s) and the FM radio (KBRW) the whole region is UNITED as ONE. We use airplanes in the same manner you use automobiles !! We constantly fly.. to different villages & different cities - i.e. Fairbanks & Anchorage are the two popular destinations
INUPIAQ VALUES are what keeps these people so closely knit ! It is sad that other people and cultures do not believe and act in this manner. When a person has to deliberatly lie and twist and change the truth to make his reputation counter increase, SOMETHING IS WRONG with that attitude and the types of people associated with that 'personality' !!

Sorry, I just now came across your post from March 8th about those slogans.
I love them! Even though they remind me a bit of Chinese communist propaganda.... Smile

You mentioned way back then that you were preparing to switch to digital, and
judging from your pictures, I assume you made the transition? It looks like you have a lot of dirt on your sensor,
and actually I have to say that I love the wonderful intensity of your earlier shots.
What are your possibilities up there, do you do any postprocessing?

Please don't get me wrong, I still think your pictures are great for showing us a place on earth most of us
will never go, but recently they don't, to me, reflect your photographic skill!

Greetings from a homecomer-to-Germany

Uli

I have no photographic skills, I do not perform any post processing ever !

My photos are right out of the camera, film or digital !!

Now with that all said.. I made a fortune off these 'snapshots"!!

Tourists are not picky, they just buy what they like !!

That is all I care about, the $$ !!!

[Image: FrontPage.jpg]

Thank you for your candid but truthful comments !

Hi,
Thanks so much for sharing your latest pictures, as always all of them are great.

I would suggest, if you don't mind, to open a new post for further pictures, this post is taking a bit too long to download to see the latest comment. There is a Photo Stories & Journalism forum where your pictures would fit perfect.

Thanks again for sharing your experience and wonderful images. Smile

Irma.

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

Thank you Irma .. .. .. !

I shall begin a new thread .. .. Arctic models @ 30 below zero !!

FAB PIcs
Look like you hadan amazing time!!!

Fang Wrote:FAB PIcs
Look like you hadan amazing time!!!
I agree with you Fang, these are so beautiful and unforgetable photographs. There are more pictures of him in another topics, you can find them. I think he did great with all these pictures, one of my favurite photographers here.

Thank you for you and once again thank you for Majik, that I had a wonderful voyage at my desk with your photographs.

with my love,
nia

“There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs.”

Ansel Adams

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post