Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Help! With Nikon D40x Digital SLR Camera

Hi Guys!

Great forum!
A question for you, which came up when I was taking pictures with my friend's new Nikon D40x Digital SLR Camera yesterday:

While I was reviewing the photos on the LCD on the back of the camera, the 'white space' taken in some of the pictures was flashing black and white! Is this a function in the camera's settings? Or is this a fault?

Anyone else experiencing this ???

Cheers

Ralph

It is the camera's way of telling you that the shot is overexposed, or the white bit is.
The histogram will have a small ( hopefully) white bar up the righthand side also.
Too much contrast between black/dark tones and white/grey tones is the problem.
minus the E/V to compensate.

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

is this documented anywhere, or a known fact (function) with the camera?
My friend was originally taking some shots of a sunset and originally thought we may have 'burnt' the lense or something inside?

What is this black and white 'flashing' functionality called, so we can turn it off?

Cheers

Ralph

Hey Ralph, on my D50, you switch between display modes by pressing "Up/Down" on the 4-way controller... it toggles between the normal view, the histogram view, highlights view (which is the flashing one you're seeing) and a couple of info pages.

Hope that helps...

Cool! That's great. I'll try that out tonight on the camera.
Thanks for the very helpful advice! Smile

Blessings.

Ralph

It's a known function on most nikon slr's. if you scroll through your pictures using the left/right function of the 4-way button you can select any picture and, by using the up/down function you can go from full-frame picture to a readout of the data, and on to the histogram, from there it usually goes back to the picture but with all over-exposed areas flashing, (as you describe). just keep scrolling round using the up/down function and you will come back to the picture as you took it.

The flashing parts are highlights that have washed out. See the manual, page 52. I got a lot of this while shooting at the beach this last week, largely because of the vivid contrasts.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by ALAN 47
Jan 31, 2014, 05:12