Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

IaOrana Ia Oe!!! Hello to everyone

No I'm not swearing at anyone, just giving you the greeting in the language of my home. I am currently in the USA due to a family emergency, but I make my home in Raiatea, an island in French Polynesia (Tahiti).

I am rather old, but still not so old that I cannot learn, and I do like to get out on hikes, etc. And, I do love photography. I was an american, but I immigrated to Tahiti in the mid 70's after retiring from the US Navy, and became a citizen of Tahiti (and French) in 1984.

I have been, an electronics technician, a Field Engineer for Sperry Univac (Unisys), and can just about repair anything built by a human. I have spent over 3/4 of my life outside the United States in Asia and the Pacific Rim, and it wasn't until I returned to the USA to give care to my 90 year old mother that I decided to take photos of what I was doing and the places here in the States, so that my family who are still in Tahiti could see what I was doing, and what Oregon looked like from my eyes. I started out with a Minolta Maxxum 3xi 35mm SLR, and was given an Olympus OM10 along with a 100mm prime lens. I used these exclusively until I decided that I was tired of paying to have photos developed and then paying again to send the photos to Tahiti, and decided to go digital with (at the time) my first DSLR which was the Minolta Dimage7i. After about 2 years, I decided to move up to a true DSLR and I purchased my first Nikon, a D70 which I still use today as my back up camera.

I now have the D200 and enough extra glass, to buckle a mules knees. I shoot mostly in manual, and I am a tripod person, I almost never shoot without one. Only if I am shooting from a tight space, or on a boat or in a car do I ever use my camera as a hand held. At present, I still have my Minolta, along with 2 OM10's and my pride and joy, a Zeiss Ikon Ikoflex Favorit medium format film camera that I use for landscape and some portrait work.

I just traded a Canon AE1 Program with all the bells and whistles and 4 lenses and winder and flash for a Nikon Macro Bellows Rail and am in the process of building some light boxes to do macro work and small art photography with.

My hobbies include, computers, electronics, miniature wood working/turning, fishing of all sorts and of course studying photography and putting what I learn into practice.

I found you while looking for ideas on building a flash diffuser or diffusers in general... I liked what I saw and decided that this would be a good site to join and learn from. I hope that I can contribute and possibly be of some help down the line..

I will make a couple of posts in the appropriate places and give you an idea of my level in the craft and would like to say I appreciate what I have already read here and see that this is really a good group and I am going to enjoy being here...

Haere Maru, Haere Papu!!

Ken

I'll be the first to welcome you to Shuttertalk, W E L C O M E Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Cheers,
Pat
Canon 400D plus assorted lenses

Welcome to Shuttertalk!
What you did, do and are planning all sounds exciting and I'm looking forward to seeing some pictures!

Uli

Welcome!

I'm sorry to hear about the reason for your travels, and hope everything works out. I'm also really looking forward to seeing your photos of home. I was lucky enough to get to spend a few days in Tahiti when I was very young, and still remember how beautiful it was.

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

Welcome to the forum Ken... Smile

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

Welcome ken. Oooh grass skirts then. Big Grin

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

Hey Ken - great to 'see' you here.

Canon stuff.

Welcome!!