Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

woo-oo I'm an alien, I'm an Englishman in Mel-bourne

Hi All,

Just joined, and I thought I'd give a quick intro and say hello.

I'm an English chap living in Melbourne, Australia. I've been brought over here by a big Car company to work on a new car project due for release in 2011. I'm a car designer, previously working at Aston Martin, Jaguar in the UK and Volvo in Sweden before landing the job over here at the beginning of last year.

Photography-wise.. always been interested but never really taken it seriously since doing some shooting and developing back at art school in the mid- 90s. I bit the bullet mid last year and treated myself to a Nikon D100 and 28-200mm lens for my 30th birthday. I spent the next year having a great time taking loads of pics, all with auto on and not knowing what all the settings were.

Since the middle of this year I have completed 2 CAE courses here in Melbourne, the second just finished yesterday. They were run by a fella called Christian Pearson from and were a great way for me to get to know the camera and to learn techniques right from the basics through to some more advanced techniques in the last few weeks. Christian told us about this site, so that' s how I found you bunch.

So now I have 'AUTO' firmly in the OFF position, and am confidently shooting in RAW whenever I can. Still soooo much to learn, so I am looking forward to using this site to interact and learn learn LEARN.

Just booked in to another course starting in Jan 2007; an Advanced Diploma in Photography that will be part time and I am extremely excited about!

I have recently had the fortune to be contacted my a couple of mags, and will have a few bits and bobs appearing in them soon.

And soon thinking about upgrading the camera and lens, but still undecided.

Phew! That was a short version of a story that could have been a lot longer.

So.... hello!! Big Grin

Luke.

[Image: night-10.jpg]

be honest... I can take it.
-

www.lukeray.com

Hi Luke... Smile

What I like the most in your post is your enthusiasm.
I wish you the best in your next course.
I like a lot your introduction picture, look forward to seeing more of your work.

Welcome to Shuttertalk.. Smile

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

Welcome Luke! Big Grin

Hi Luke, welcome to Shuttertalk. It sounds like you're on a great track.

And I think there are a couple others in Australia around here somewhere...

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

Welcome aboard, Luke! Can't wait to see more photos - I like the on ein your intro post btw.

Hi Luke, welcome! Sounds like you have a very rich background, and that we can definitely learn a few things off you! Big Grin

Great to 'see' you here Luke. Love the shot yoou posted here.

Canon stuff.

thanks.. not sure about learning from me, I was hoping it would be the other way round. Although, I could tell you how to design the inside of a car, but it's never been the greatest party talk. Big Grin

where is this site based? Is it the USA? It seems fairly quiet.. is it quite new?

I like look of the assignment threads, they look like a lot of fun.

-

www.lukeray.com

Hiya English, You will have to design Kombisaurus a campervan. (Like vintage style) Big Grin

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

BELLERBY Wrote:where is this site based? Is it the USA? It seems fairly quiet.. is it quite new?
Surprise - Shuttertalk is based in Melbourne (like you).

Toad Wrote:
BELLERBY Wrote:where is this site based? Is it the USA? It seems fairly quiet.. is it quite new?
Surprise - Shuttertalk is based in Melbourne (like you).
Big Grin oh! yes that is a surprise! That'll be why my teacher suggested it...

-

www.lukeray.com

Love the use of light in this picture. Even like the subject, makes me do a double take.

D.J.