Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

More Macro

It's my Birthday later this month so one of my sons bought me a set of extension tubes. They arrived this morning so I've been outside trying them out. it's windy out there and the attached is the best I've managed so far - a small fly inside a fading Nasturtium flower.

I used a Pentax 100mm 2.8 macro lens + 36mm extn tube and Vivitar ring flash.

ISO 200, f32, 1/125 .... handheld

[Image: fly4515.jpg]

Polly

Hey Pol!

Looks good. I think you're going to have fun. In fact, I predict a Polly macro extravaganza!! Big Grin

Cave canem

wow! nice Smile
So, have you been going around hunting for small insects?
What does the extension tube allow you to do? Does it allow you to shoot even closer?

Rufus Wrote:Hey Pol!

Looks good. I think you're going to have fun. In fact, I predict a Polly macro extravaganza!! Big Grin

naah, not likely to be an extravaganza yet as it's cold, wet and windy outside, few insects, battered flowers and, more to the point, I have 101 things to do before I get this PC fully up and running with all the various software etc.

But I'll be sure to post owt that's reasonably in focus Wink

Pol

adam Wrote:wow! nice Smile
So, have you been going around hunting for small insects?
What does the extension tube allow you to do? Does it allow you to shoot even closer?

The tubes allow you to get closer so you can greater magnification. You fit the tube(or tubes) between the camera and the lens - have to use manual focus but I usually use manual anyway for macro.

I have the Kenko set of 3 tubes 12mm 20mm and 36mm . you can use any combination - just one tube, 2 of them or all 3. I used only the 36mm for the fly picci. I'll play with them some more if/when the weather improves.

Polly

Really great work Polly - extremely detailed and sharp. How far away from the fly were you?

Toad Wrote:Really great work Polly - extremely detailed and sharp. How far away from the fly were you?

Thanks Smile

I suppose I was about a couple of inches from the fly, not sure. I started taking shots further back then moved in slowly, focusing and shooting as I closed in on the flower/insect and I just kept going until it flew away. I had my eye glued to the lens all the time so I don't know exactly how close I was - except that I was almost touching the petals with the tip of the ring flash.

It's the first time I've tried using extension tubes so hopefully I'll improve with practise. The camera/lens/tube and flash can get quite heavy after a while so I wasn't out there for very long.

Polly

Hey Pol, macro doesnt need to be insects, nor outdoors!!

Cave canem

That is a lovely shot Polly, and happy birthday if we miss it since I'm sure you won't be advertising the fact *grin*

I've always liked macro but I don't have the gear to do it now, I prefer bees though!

Hey, nice Pol! Smile You can see the hairs on the legs! Smile

While I appreciate macro photography very much, I never have the patience for it... I must get into it though. I bet there's a lot I'm missing out on! Smile

I'm in the market for a set of those Kenko's... Maybe I'll plunk for 'em and we can fiddle around and help eachother learn. Ooh I need a ring flash too...

"It's not what you look at, it's what you see..."
http://www.matthewsaville.com

What kind of camera do you have Pol? very nice shot

Gear:
3 x GoPro Cameras
1 x Canon S100
1 x Nikon D5100
1 x Sony DSC-TX10
Apple MacBook Pro 15" (Retina Display)

"What do you want to pack today?"

Rufus Wrote:Hey Pol, macro doesnt need to be insects, nor outdoors!!

I know . but I'm fed up with being stuck in the house because

1) it's cold, wet and windy outside

2) I'm having to hang about waiting for delivery of all the online shopping items I can't resist buying to amuse myself with - because it's too cold, wet and windy to go out.

Polly Big Grin Big Grin

dewy Wrote:What kind of camera do you have Pol? very nice shot

I have a Pentax *istD .

Matthew - the Kenko extension tubes vary enormously in price so shop around! I've seen them selling for £129 over here - got mine for £89 so that's quite a difference in price! they're easy enough to use - the same procedure using the macro lens on its own except you can get closer. They have TTL and AE - but you need to focus manually of course. Maybe you can stick them on your Xmas wishlist and smile sweetly at a few relatives Smile

As for the ring flash - they can cost a lot too. I think the Pentax ring is about £350, dunno about Nikon and Canon but I think they're only slightly less than that.

I use a Vivitar Ring and they're selling for anything from £50 to £99 over here. I paid £50 for mine after shopping around. The downside is that the Vivitar can't be used on Canon digital cameras - so be sure whatever you get is compatible with your digital camera. It's a bit plasticky but that's ok 'cos the price is right!

Polly

StudioJ Wrote:That is a lovely shot Polly, and happy birthday if we miss it since I'm sure you won't be advertising the fact *grin*

I've always liked macro but I don't have the gear to do it now, I prefer bees though!

Thanks - my birthday is on the 28th Sept and I'm gonna be very young that day 'cos I started counting backwards when I was 30. I'll qualify for a free bus pass - Blimey!! It's a pity there are no buses around here Big Grin

Numbers don't count, except when you're paying me for modelling in my belly-warmer bloomers. You're lucky to get anyone willing to do that for you ..... so don't moan about my fees Tongue

Polly

* dewy runs to google to get some specs

Does the tube look like one of the things on this?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jark/56867/

Gear:
3 x GoPro Cameras
1 x Canon S100
1 x Nikon D5100
1 x Sony DSC-TX10
Apple MacBook Pro 15" (Retina Display)

"What do you want to pack today?"

StudioJ Wrote:That is a lovely shot Polly, and happy birthday if we miss it since I'm sure you won't be advertising the fact *grin*

Heerz a bee:

Fuji 6900 I think, maybe 602

[Image: BEEZMEANZ.jpg]

Cave canem

dewy Wrote:/me runs to google to get some specs

Does the tube look like one of the things on this?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jark/56867/

The link doesn't show me anything - but never mind, here's a link to the set of tubes I have. They're not large. All 3 fitted together would fit in the palm of your hand. the url, with a picci of the tubes, is
http://www.warehouseexpress.com/photo/ca...kenko.html

It's the camera and macro lens that are heavy - the tubes are hollow.

Polly

Thats a very black bee Rufus! What species is it? Very different to ours here unless its at a different level of maturity or something, I haven't paid that close attention to bees really.

Super Bee picci, Rufus! I haven't had much success with bees this year but I'm attaching the best one I got . so far. A honeybee on a strawberry leaf. pentx istD, 100mm 2.8 macro lens + ring flash.
[Image: honeybee.jpg]

polly

[Image: amazing.jpg]

Cave canem

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post