Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Extention tubes

It's been raining for the last month...so I've been inside playing with some cheap extention tubes I got a while back, they don't allow aperture control, so I find DOF very narrow and hard to handle. There is three rings, and I was using the Canon 18-55mm kit lens on my 350D.

Would be interested in your thoughts..

[Image: IMG_0996-12copy.jpg]

[Image: IMG_1003-12copy.jpg]

This is not with the tubes, just close up with the 18-55mm lens
[Image: IMG_1013-12copy.jpg]

Thanks
Sharon Smile

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.
Winston Churchill

The first one is delightful Sharon.

Canon stuff.

I like those. DOF with the tubes. You could try setting the camera as a fixed point, and moving the subject instead of the tubes.
Does stopping down increase DOF?

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

NT73 Wrote:I like those. DOF with the tubes. You could try setting the camera as a fixed point, and moving the subject instead of the tubes.
Does stopping down increase DOF?
Yes.

Canon stuff.

The problem with many auto-everything lenses is that the "manual" f/stop controls are through the camera body, not directly on the lens. The stock 18-55mm that comes on the Rebel XTi is such a lens, as is the 28-135mm IS Canon lens. The EFS lenses (the 18-55mm is an EFS series lens) however do not fit on extension tubes that have links for controlling the diaphragm. This means you either need a set of tubes with electronic links for the f/stop *and* an EF series lens or you need to find a lens with an EF mount and manual on-lens f/stop setting to go with your non-linked tube(s). I'm not sure but this may require buying a third party lens although I notice that none of the 3 Tamron/EOS lens I own have on-lens f/stop control. If you are using an EFS lens on tubes with no electronic links to the body, you are stuck with working wide open. Sad

An alternative would be to use close-up diopter filters.

ADK Jim

I wonder: putting away the packaged lens in favour of the cheap but cheerfully sharp 50mm f1.8(the straight Mark 2), then getting an adaptor which allows you to fi the lens "back to front", might be workable. I say this as depth of field issues are always going to be rearing their heads given the apertures you'll be restricted to using. That stock 18-55 is a fair perfomer at f.8 but I found its quality fell off too sharply to be of much use apart from grab shots. Just an idea, and one that is relatively cheap to implement with decidedly noticeable improvements throughout.

All my stuff is here: www.doverow.com
(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

Thanks Chris, I like it too, and the full flower looks great full screen.

NT73, Jim & Zig, thanks for your advice, I can only adjust the shutter speed, the aperture shows as 00, so I use the zoom or move the object to focus.

Thanks again
Sharon Smile

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.
Winston Churchill

Woo Hoo...just found out my image of the full rose got POTD at photographyvoice.com 17/2/08 Big Grin

http://www.photographyvoice.com/pv/potd/...px?c=14982

Sharon Big Grin

Winston Churchill

Congratulations! Some very nice comments, too.

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

Great news Sharon - well deserved!

Canon stuff.

Congratulations Sharon.

Your pictures are great!! Smile

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne