Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Assignment #78: Common Object II

It requires a very unusual mind to undertake the analysis of the obvious.
- Alfred North Whitehead

One of the challenges of photography is to be able to see something familiar in a new way. For this assignment, pick a subject that you see every day and take new photographs of it. But don't just stop after one or two -- keep going and produce different compositions until you've gone past the point where it becomes a challenge to see something new. Aim for twenty to thirty different compositions. They don't need to be great, or have all of them work, but keep trying to find new ways to see something familiar. Use this thread to share a few of your favourites.

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

I decided to choose something that I spend hours each day staring toward -- although not usually at -- for my effort to see something new in the familiar. All of these photos were taken with my 50mm macro lens and flash on a TTL cable; in total I took 90 photos in about half an hour. These are my favourites:

[Image: 317899784_pFuQv-L.jpg]

[Image: 317899711_Y43sE-L.jpg]

[Image: 317899476_pjYLs-L.jpg]

[Image: 317899538_48xgR-L.jpg]

I've been posting assignments for long enough that I usually have a good idea which ones won't get many responses, and I know this is one of them. But the real purpose of this is just to serve as a reminder to keep looking even when there doesn't seem to be anything more to see. Sometimes just remembering that idea is enough.

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

I like this very much, because it is not the assignment that you go to the garden get your picture and post it "Look, look, I got it! " Wink

In these two last assignments you are pushing us a little bit to think about our pictures. At the beginning I thought about make again the series I posted in the Assignment #54, unfortunately I don't have the same light conditions at the moment, so I thought about working with something new.

I worked with a sheet of paper folded in the middle. The first 3 pictures are natural color, but the last two I wanted to colorize them to give more the idea of what I was thinking when taking my pictures, actually what I saw.

Here is my series out of 57 pictures.

The tick
[Image: IMG_0866.jpg]

The envelope
[Image: IMG_0883.jpg]

...... Smile
[Image: IMG_0890.jpg]

Shooting star
[Image: IMG_0894.jpg]

The fish
[Image: IMG_0921-Edit.jpg]

I hope I got the idea of the assignment right...

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

Irma, I really like your photos, and you've hit on a great subject. I really like the way you've worked with DOF and colour in these. (There may be another assignment in this.)

Irma Wrote:In these two last assignments you are pushing us a little bit to think about our pictures. At the beginning I thought about make again the series I posted in the Assignment #54, unfortunately I don't have the same light conditions at the moment, so I thought about working with something new.
Irma, you're better at keeping track of old assignments than I am - I was pretty sure I had posted one like this before, but didn't see it. The problem may be that I'll think about posting these more challenging assignments many times before I actually do it, so I'm never quite sure what I've actually done. (It's funny that it's been almost a year since the last one...)

I am trying to push a bit, and have a more challenging element to the assignments. But part of that is because I'm running low on ideas these days, both for techniques and subjects, so I'm always looking for suggestions.

Thanks Matthew for your comment... Smile

You made my day!

I'll think about some ideas for the assignments too.

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

Great!!! great stuff, both of you. love them.
have to get my gear unpacked and get started!

Uli

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Browser Mike
Dec 12, 2016, 17:26