Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Sapperton, Gloucs

The colour one is of the beechwoods at Water Lane; the quarrying of the local limestone in yesteryear has long been overgrown and/or replanted with beech: always a good plantation long-termer when they were cutting many trees down for shipping.

The mono is interesting. No, really.
That hummock is one of many and it's not a natural feature: it is the remains of a series of vertical vents into Sapperton Tunnel, which was a canal engineered in the 18th Century and which runs underground at this point.
Doubly interestingly....Sapperton has tiny church close by. It is quiet and unremarkable. One of the forgotten(but still visible) graves is of a lady called Rebekah.
She was the first wife of a chap called Charles Mason, another locally-groomed lad.
This Mason became Astronomer Royal when America was still in short trousers: along with another bloke called Dixon.
Together, they did a few interesting things, like observing the Transit of Venus.
In their spare time they did a job in the Colonies, surveying a territorial line using their mastery of the new discovery of longitude.
So as to avoid confusion, they called the line, creatively enough, the Mason-Dixon Line.

So...next time you guys whistle Dixie......

[Image: water%20lane%20Nov08ST.jpg]

[Image: stormcomingST.jpg]

All my stuff is here: www.doverow.com
(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

Love #2 there Zig... great stuff! Big Grin
I always love your monochrome work though.... Not that there's anything wrong with your colour photos, just that I think you really nail the tones in the mono conversion, and b/w emphasizes the composition more.

Adrian Broughton
My Website: www.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
My Blog: blog.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
You can also visit me on Facebook!
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Einstein.

Very nice work Zig. I like your point of view in both, and I think your choice of color for #1 and B&W for #2 brings out the best qualities of each photograph. I appreciate your historical notes too.

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." ~ Dorothea Lange

i favor the B&W as well... and the historical commentary is fascinating!

~ Rocky
Any camera will record what you see, but YOU have to SEE!
Canon 5D & 40D; Canon 100-400L, Tamron SP17-35 and SP24-135
www.northwestnaturalimagery.com