Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Toad on a Mounatin

I'm not very happy with the fact it came out blurred but still worth posting. After all, it is a Mountain Toad. Big Grin
[Image: Toad-on-a-mountain.jpg]

Sit, stay, ok, hold it! Awww, no drooling! :O
My flickr images

Lol... looks a bit pale and pinkish. I would have expected a greener tinge to his skin judging by his avatar... Smile

haha i should go mountain trekking (more like hill) ...
seems like fun ..

Petographer Wrote:I'm not very happy with the fact it came out blurred but still worth posting. After all, it is a Mountain Toad. Big Grin
http://www.shuttertalk.com/gallery/album...untain.jpg

He's a well dressed Toad too - he even brought out the moon for a peek at a Toad on a peak Big Grin

Seriously - do you use trekking sticks when you hike and climb steep slopes? they're very good, especially if you use 2 (one in each hand) so you're effectively on all fours, takes the strain off the legs and back and helps you stay steady. they're telescopic so you can adjust them to any height - or reduce them and have them in your bag.

There's a "Brasher trekking Pole" available with a cork handle/top that screws off to reveal a camera mount - so you can use it as a monopod. I just use the "Brasher Walking Stick" myself - but it's very good, something to lean on and bear the weight at times. They cost approx £26- £30 in the UK depending on which type you choose.

Polly

That's a good picture of me - minimizes my fat and conceals my face....and that pinkish hue is probably radiation burn from sitting too long in front of a computer, instead of getting outdoors.

As for sticks - i tlooks like a good idea! I'll look that up on the web.

Toad Wrote:That's a good picture of me - minimizes my fat and conceals my face....and that pinkish hue is probably radiation burn from sitting too long in front of a computer, instead of getting outdoors.

As for sticks - i tlooks like a good idea! I'll look that up on the web.

Here's a link for the Brasher poles we use - though it's a UK link.

http://www.safariquip.co.uk/acatalog/Saf...er_39.html

I'm pretty sure there should be something similar available over there - probably the same brand name too. Trekking poles are something very different from a conventional walking stick - they're fantastic, have a similar effect to car suspension systems and you'll wonder how you managed without one if you eventually get one.

I'd say "happy hopping" but it's the frogs that hop - and the toads kinda crawl with just an occasional jump, eh Cool

Polly

Good idea Pol. Thanks. Will have to look into that. Smile

My flickr images

Petographer Wrote:Good idea Pol. Thanks. Will have to look into that. Smile

I did a brief search last night and I think you probably have even more choice in Canada than we do here. Here's just one link with a couple of poles costing around $50 each and one of them had the camera mount under the top handle/knob.

If you do a google search under "trekking poles" or maybe "hiking poles" you'll find a fair number of FAQs about them, how best to use them, what to get etc. 'snow baskts' usually come with them - that's a small disc thingy you can fit on the base to stop them sinking too far into the soft ground .... similar to a ski pole.

Get yourselves those and the pair of you can virtually live up there feeding the Whiskey Jacks and taking pix Big Grin

Polly

ah yes...your link is Mountain Equipment Co-op - just about a mile from where I live. Nice of someone from the UK to suggest it to me. Big Grin

I will look into the pole and monopod option - has anyone here used a monopod before? Are they good enough for low shutter speeds like 1/4 sec with a long lens - or are they just good enough for say 1/30 sec? Any feedback appreciated.

Yes, thanks Pol for the link. I have a MEC membership and will have to look into those.
Toad, I've used my monopod quite a bit shooting radio controlled aircraft and I personally wouldn't want to use it for slow shutterspeeds as you mention. It'll stop the bob but not the weave so to speak. However, there is a monopod available that has legs that may be the ticket. http://db.manfrotto.com/product/template...temid=1814

My flickr images

Can a monopod with three legs still be a monopod??

<><
Camera: Panasonic Lumix FZ10
Image Management/Editing:ArcSoft PhotoBase4
Advanced Image Editing: Adobe PhotoShop 7

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Toad
Feb 22, 2012, 15:22
Last Post by Toad
Feb 22, 2012, 15:21