Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

[split] New Member Here

SmileHi I'm Patti Mc, and I am new to this website.
About a year and a half ago I purchased a Canon EOS 450 D XSI camera.
I'm ready to learn information about my camera. I've mainly been shooting in auto because I feel safe in that area. I've purchased several items for my camera and I'm anxious to use them. I have purchased three books on my Rebel XSi, But, unfortunately when I purchased my camera off eBay it did not have an owners manual. I would like to use my Canon EOS Rebel XSi/450D Digital Field Guide
Book as a reference. I hope to be a regular part of the forum as I have several questions to ask in the future. Thanks for the invite, & I look forward to learning more about my "new" camera.

(Jan 13, 2013, 21:53)soapnstuf031251 Wrote:  SmileHi I'm Patti Mc, and I am new to this website.
I'm ready to learn information about my camera. I've mainly been shooting in auto because I feel safe in that area. I've purchased several items for my camera and I'm anxious to use them. I have purchased three books on my Rebel XSi, But, unfortunately when I purchased my camera off eBay it did not have an owners manual. I would like to use my Canon EOS Rebel XSi/450D Digital Field Guide
Book as a reference. I hope to be a regular part of the forum as I have several questions to ask in the future. Thanks for the invite, & I look forward to learning more about my "new" camera.
Hi and welcome you can go to this website http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/co...AndManuals
Click on manuals and the very last one is the 450 click download and there it is in PDF

Hello,

Welcome to the forums Patti! It is great to have you here and we look forward to hearing more about you and your new adventures!

Barbara - Life is what you make of it!

(Jan 13, 2013, 21:53)soapnstuf031251 Wrote:  SmileHi I'm Patti Mc, and I am new to this website.

if you go to canonusa.com and click on download center you should be able to download a PDF file of your manual. also recomend the book "understanding exposure"by bryan petersen. In plain english and with allot of cool photos, he wil teach you what you need to know to take the camera off auto and to produce creative exposures.

"I did it my way" Cool

Hi! Patti Mc :-) here.
Thanks for the information about the Canon website. I have that information on a PDF file.
I'm trying to avoid having to print all that information. I think that I have a quick guide. If I do, maybe that will help me. I bought the camera kit.
I also have my Canon EOS Rebel 450D Digital Field Guide that I can use as a reference.
I have mostly been shooting in the auto mode.
I invested in a Macro lens & a 0.5 wide angle lens (fish eye); a Canon EF-S55-250 mm f/4-5.6 IS II; an electronic flash to fit the hot shoe; a tulip lens hood and a set of 3 filters. (Ultraviolet, Circular Polarizer, and a Neutral Density). I got them all for a good price, and I figure that they would give me the incentive I needed to learn some of the basics to use my camera. Now, I just have to figure out how to use my investments.
Somebody laughed at me for investing in my "STUFF", but then another fellow off a different forum mentioned that I at least had a goal.
I have also shared some of my photos. Since I take constructive criticism well, I'm always looking for some input.
I just need a little nudge to get me going. Maybe this website has what it takes to do that. Thanks again.
P :-)

If you spent money on the accessories it seems to me you should get stuck in and not waste it.
The pdf contains info that is not on the quick reference. You really need to read it through. Not neccessarily to use all the info, but to know what is available on the camera should you need it.

Nothing wrong with auto, but it is like buying a Ferrari and having a chauffeur.

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

(Jan 15, 2013, 06:29)NT73 Wrote:  If you spent money on the accessories it seems to me you should get stuck in and not waste it.
The pdf contains info that is not on the quick reference. You really need to read it through. Not neccessarily to use all the info, but to know what is available on the camera should you need it.

Nothing wrong with auto, but it is like buying a Ferrari and having a chauffeur.

Thanks for putting things in perspective for me. I think I'll run off the copies from my PDF file & put my information in a notebook. I have been writing down notes about aperture & depth of field. Shutter speed, ISO etc. Right now I have my ISO set at 400. I'm not sure yet how to set the F-stop, but I'll read in my Digital Photography book & figure it out. I really am anxious to try out my telephoto lens. I think the F-stop said f 4.0-5.6. I also need to learn about that too. Once again, thanks for your input.
Patti Mc. :-)

(Jan 15, 2013, 15:29)soapnstuf031251 Wrote:  Thanks for putting things in perspective for me. I think I'll run off the copies from my PDF file & put my information in a notebook. I have been writing down notes about aperture & depth of field. Shutter speed, ISO etc. Right now I have my ISO set at 400. I'm not sure yet how to set the F-stop, but I'll read in my Digital Photography book & figure it out. I really am anxious to try out my telephoto lens. I think the F-stop said f 4.0-5.6. I also need to learn about that too. Once again, thanks for your input.

Let me tell you a secret that many photographers have, they all read and recomended "UNDERSTANDING EXPOSURE" B by Bryan petersen. this book in plain english with great photos will explain everything neccesary to get not only a technically correct exposure but a creative one too. I know I recomended that book in my last post, I am just empasizing what a great resource it is.Numerous photogs recomend that book. I rererad my copy every 6 months to keep it fresh. I also recomend his LEARNING TO SEE CREATIVELY which explores composition.ExclamationIdeaCool

Also if you use a smartphone just download the pdf to the phone so that when out in the field it is avbailable. being old school I just keep my manual in my camera bag.

"I did it my way" Cool

(Jan 15, 2013, 15:29)soapnstuf031251 Wrote:  Right now I have my ISO set at 400. I'm not sure yet how to set the F-stop, but I'll read in my Digital Photography book & figure it out. I really am anxious to try out my telephoto lens. I think the F-stop said f 4.0-5.6. I also need to learn about that too. Once again, thanks for your input.

Lowest number ISO, or Auto to start with. (sunny or bright day.)
On darker days you may need higher ISO or longer exposures.
Aperture priority - You set the f-stop and the camera automatically sets the correct shutter speed.
Shutter priority - You set the shutter speed and the camera sets f-stop.
Manual - you set both.

You probably set the f-stop or shutter stop with the little thumbwheel.

F-stop on Lens f4 -5.6 are the maximum the lens will open to let the light in.(at each end of the zoom.)
You can't set them any lower. You can set them higher though.
A (so called fast lens is one the will open to below f3 Confused
Baffling innit. Big Grin

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

I know that going from auto to manual can seem scary, but it's not that bad. The first few shots are a learning process, and then you'll learn what each function does and it will all just click.

This is a great place to learn and I can't WAIT to see some of your photos!

(Jan 15, 2013, 17:00)sinatraman Wrote:  
(Jan 15, 2013, 15:29)soapnstuf031251 Wrote:  Thanks for putting things in perspective for me. I think I'll run off the copies from my PDF file & put my information in a notebook. I have been writing down notes about aperture & depth of field. Shutter speed, ISO etc. Right now I have my ISO set at 400. I'm not sure yet how to set the F-stop, but I'll read in my Digital Photography book & figure it out. I really am anxious to try out my telephoto lens. I think the F-stop said f 4.0-5.6. I also need to learn about that too. Once again, thanks for your input.

Let me tell you a secret that many photographers have, they all read and recomended "UNDERSTANDING EXPOSURE" B by Bryan petersen. this book in plain english with great photos will explain everything neccesary to get not only a technically correct exposure but a creative one too. I know I recomended that book in my last post, I am just empasizing what a great resource it is.Numerous photogs recomend that book. I rererad my copy every 6 months to keep it fresh. I also recomend his LEARNING TO SEE CREATIVELY which explores composition.ExclamationIdeaCool

Also if you use a smartphone just download the pdf to the phone so that when out in the field it is avbailable. being old school I just keep my manual in my camera bag.

I, too, have a copy of his book that I am reading...a little at a time. I never thought about downloading a PDF file to my iPhone. You r right, that way I could always have a copy of the owners manual on hand. I will probably have to get someone to help me do this, but that shouldn't be a problem. I'll go to Verizon & they can help me. Thanks for all of the advice.
Patti Mc :-)

Patti - I got your message and tried to email you and it came back. I just wanted to let you know. You can private message me here on site as well. Thank you!

Barbara - Life is what you make of it!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by nia
Apr 3, 2019, 00:00