Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

ShutterTalk Digital Photography Contest March 2014: Black & White

Nice shots, but maybe more contrast between the darkness of the inside of the Bell and the whiteness of the Key Covers would help - a lighting issue. Also, as in #3, letting the name of the piece appear very subtly; not the complete title, but just enough to make the viewer look long enough to figure it out. And perhaps one shot could reflect the name of the instrument manufacturer, again very subtly. (Is it C. G. Conn, maybe?). Just some ideas since you asked.

I was recently walking by the lakeshore in late afternoon sunshine, and noticed some very interesting footprints in the snow. I placed myself in one of the prints, and caught the shadow of my body stretched across the snow towards the lake. It was fun ! Don

(Mar 23, 2014, 13:51)Tom G Wrote:  Nice shots, but maybe more contrast between the darkness of the inside of the Bell and the whiteness of the Key Covers would help - a lighting issue. Also, as in #3, letting the name of the piece appear very subtly; not the complete title, but just enough to make the viewer look long enough to figure it out. And perhaps one shot could reflect the name of the instrument manufacturer, again very subtly. (Is it C. G. Conn, maybe?). Just some ideas since you asked.

Good points there Tom, I agree with you.

Regards.

Phil.

(Mar 10, 2014, 19:23)dianebaughn Wrote:  Snow Forest I happened upon the snow falling in this forest and it appeared to be snowing in area's yet not others. It was such a different perspective from the norm of a snow day.

This was taken in Litchfield CT during a snow storm in a Conservation. Taken with a Nikon D300, ISO 200, SS 60 F11 with no post processing other than a bump in Contrast.

Di

Hey All I posted this pic a while ago for the contest. Would be interested in your thoughts !

(Mar 10, 2014, 19:23)dianebaughn Wrote:  Snow Forest I happened upon the snow falling in this forest and it appeared to be snowing in area's yet not others. It was such a different perspective from the norm of a snow day.

This was taken in Litchfield CT during a snow storm in a Conservation. Taken with a Nikon D300, ISO 200, SS 60 F11 with no post processing other than a bump in Contrast.

Di

Di,

Sorry that I haven't made any comment previously, I just missed your photo. Talking of which: It's a jolly good capture, specifically that you have managed to present a detail level which considering the prevailing weather conditions is astounding. It goes to show what is achievable under adverse conditions by those who persistently try to produce quality work. Well done Di, be proud of your work.

Best regards.

Phil.

Thank you Tom & Phil for your comments, will have another go and try some different lighting. Really appreciate your comments

Not been around for a while, sorry. Good luck all the entrants. Only 1 from me this month unfortunately, but it was before 1 March so won't really count. Hope to be in a better place next month.

(Mar 28, 2014, 14:51)Phil J Wrote:  

Di

Di,

Sorry that I haven't made any comment previously, I just missed your photo. Talking of which: It's a jolly good capture, specifically that you have managed to present a detail level which considering the prevailing weather conditions is astounding. It goes to show what is achievable under adverse conditions by those who persistently try to produce quality work. Well done Di, be proud of your work.

Best regards.

Phil.
Hi Phil, thank you so much for the response, no one had commented and I was thinking that it wasn't as good as I thought it was! LOL! It was a touch shot but I was determined! Thank You for the wonderful feedback!!!

(Mar 9, 2014, 04:56)Tom G Wrote:  [quote='Phil J' pid='93483' dateline='1392833540']
This, and many more photos were taken on an incredibly miserable, overcast, VERY COLD, 'and boy do I mean cold', you know, the cold that gets into your very bones, sometimes referred to as 'too cold to snow', March day 2013 along different sections of the West Somerset Railway. (http://westsomersetrailway.vticket.co.uk/)

If you like Steam Loco's then go to here, Digital Photography Forums › Photography Forum › Photo Showcase v
Steam Power to see more taken on the same day.

Best regards.

Phil.

Hey Phil, Do us a favor please and post the complete site for quick access. Thanks, Tom G

Hi Phil,
I can't seem to view the Pics for some reason, it tells me that the web page I no longer available :-( Di

(Mar 29, 2014, 15:32)dianebaughn Wrote:  
(Mar 9, 2014, 04:56)Tom G Wrote:  [quote='Phil J' pid='93483' dateline='1392833540']
This, and many more photos were taken on an incredibly miserable, overcast, VERY COLD, 'and boy do I mean cold', you know, the cold that gets into your very bones, sometimes referred to as 'too cold to snow', March day 2013 along different sections of the West Somerset Railway. (http://westsomersetrailway.vticket.co.uk/)

If you like Steam Loco's then go to here, Digital Photography Forums › Photography Forum › Photo Showcase v

Best regards.

Phil.

Hey Phil, Do us a favor please and post the complete site for quick access. Thanks, Tom G

Hi Phil,
I can't seem to view the Pics for some reason, it tells me that the web page I no longer available :-( Di

Sorry Di, try this link http://www.wsr.org.uk/

Regards.

Phil.

WHY CAN WE NOT POST TO APRILS CONTEST

Well, it's still March, and, this is from the announcement,

This thread will be opened when the contest date begins.

Ed.

PS. No need to shout.

To each his own!

(Mar 29, 2014, 16:58)Phil J Wrote:  
(Mar 29, 2014, 15:32)dianebaughn Wrote:  

Best regards.

Phil.

Hi Phil,

Sorry Di, try this link http://www.wsr.org.uk/

Regards.

Phil.
Perfect, thanks Phil!!! Awesome Pics, I love trains!!! Di

Here are three images taken along sections of the Grand Union Canal in Hertfordshire:

1. A group of moored narrow-boats:

f=40mm, ISO 200, f/8, 1/400s.

2. Over-flowing lock gates:

f=20mm, ISO 160, f/22, 1/6s, -1 EV.

3. The lock gate winding mechanism:

f=40mm, ISO 200, f/5.6. 1/100s, -1 EV.

Images captured with a Pentax K-5 II and a 20-40mm zoom lens. Photos processed in Corel PaintShop Pro X4.

Cheers.
Philip

Spot on Philip. Ed.

To each his own!

(Mar 31, 2014, 16:31)MrB Wrote:  Here are three images taken along sections of the Grand Union Canal in Hertfordshire:

Images captured with a Pentax K-5 II and a 20-40mm zoom lens. Photos processed in Corel PaintShop Pro X4.

Cheers.
Philip

Like these canal photographs mono really works .

Thank you Ed and Gerainte.

Philip

(Mar 31, 2014, 16:31)MrB Wrote:  Here are three images taken along sections of the Grand Union Canal in Hertfordshire:

Cheers.
Philip
Excellent photos, love the water and the boats!!!
Di

Cheers.
Philip

Hi Philip,

Three absolutely cracking good shots there. The B&W rendition is first class, with the feel 'on my screen at least' of old time heavyweight matt papers. My particular favourite is the lock with the running water, which in my opinion you've captured to perfection.

Did you need to do much processing to achieve this?

Regards.

Phil.

Thank you Diane.

Philip

(Apr 1, 2014, 15:37)Phil J Wrote:  ....Did you need to do much processing to achieve this?

Regards.

Phil.

Thank you Phil.

A brief outline of the processing:- I started with colour JPEG images from the Pentax K-5, recorded at the highest resolution and quality settings. In #2, I corrected the wide-angle perspective distortion to make the lock walls vertical, and all three were slightly cropped to give neat compositions. In the conversion to B&W, I used a yellow filter in PaintShop Pro, as it often seems to give a good range of tones for daylight shots. It was then just a matter of adjusting brightness and contrast, either overall or to part of the image, in small steps, until the tones looked pleasing to me, before final sharpening.

Cheers.
Philip

First of all, I would like to say thank you to all of you who submitted photos for the March contest. There were some really good entries and it was not easy choosing a winner. Some of the photo entries were very interesting and some were even creative in how they were taken.

I would like to congratulate Simon Rose on photo number two as the winner. Here are some thoughts on the photograph was chosen:

Focus – was sharp and the main subject clearly stood out without distractions

Nicely positioned – using rule of thirds

Subject is clearly engaged with the viewer showing strong confidence within; mood is created and felt within the viewers as shown in the composition; there is no confusion/distractions as to who/what the subject is in the photograph

Visual effect – the eyes do not jump around the photograph; the photograph may be a little tight (can move away from subject slightly) but overall the visual effect is pleasing

Lighting – there is little to no distraction created due to lighting/exposure

Additional comments – when viewing the photograph, different textures can be seen very clearly; photograph displays a nice range of black and white tones; subject connects with the viewer naturally;

We look forward to seeing more entries in the April contest!

(Simon Rose - you have your private messages and email function on the forums disabled; please send me a message with the country you are from and your email address so I can send you the proper Amazon e-gift card to you - when you see this message. Thank you!)

Barbara - Life is what you make of it!

(Feb 16, 2014, 13:44)StellaMN Wrote:  Man and Best Friend

Playing round with studio lighting. Nikon D300, Nikkor 35mm F1.8, 1/125 sec, F11, manual. Grab shot taken at end of session.

[Image: 10713945836_1f0a2916a2_o.jpg]

This is a beautifully touching image.
Love the treatment, a softer b&w.
Z

(Apr 5, 2014, 22:28)zoshart Wrote:  
(Feb 16, 2014, 13:44)StellaMN Wrote:  Man and Best Friend

Playing round with studio lighting. Nikon D300, Nikkor 35mm F1.8, 1/125 sec, F11, manual. Grab shot taken at end of session.

[Image: 10713945836_1f0a2916a2_o.jpg]

This is a beautifully touching image.
Love the treatment, a softer b&w.
Z
have to agree with you Zoshart. Whilst Simon is a worthy winner this is my personal favourite. Love the connection between man and dog. Joby

Simon, any one of your three images could have been the winner. The content, composition, and quality were excellent in each one.

Congratulations!

Cheers.
Philip