Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Grey lenses

Anyone purchased grey lenses before? Any drawbacks apart from the lack of warranty? i.e. poorer build quality, differences in specs, etc?

Haven't actually purchased one yet, but I have had both in my hands and they looked identical in all aspects other than badging.

Thinking they are the same product. Certainly for Canon.

I don't know anything about those lenses sorry... but ... !!What a nice avatar Bob!! Smile

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

I want to buy a white lens Smile

They should be exactly the same ... until you try to have the gray one serviced locally.

In the US we have a store (B&H) that will service gray lenses themselves. I would have no problem buying one from them. But when I've bought lenses with a gray alternatives, the US copies have had rebate offerings that brought the price in line with the gray, so I went for the local copies.

If the difference is a lot, I'd buy grey;
If small, I'd buy not grey.

I've only bought the 50mm f/1.8 grey, online; had that problem when it arrived - a speck in the lens, but I doubt that has anything to do with it being grey. And when I bought it, the difference wasn't much anyway, just to save a bit; Looking back now, where $160 was a lot for a lens, I see that my views have greatly changed since then! haha

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post