Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Chess

[Image: nupud.jpg]

I'd love to hear any critics from you to this shot. Smile

I like it. Nice refelction and tones...

I like the concept but would like to see the shot slightly different, either from a slightly higher elevation so I can see the 2nd row of pieces, or alternately from a slightly different angle rather than head on.

As Toad said great reflection and tones.

I like the idea but I think there are few things I would like to comment....

There is a hard black line in the middle of the picture... It cuts off the picture in the middle the same as the reflections... It is a bit distractive...

There is just one side lighten in the pieces the other one is dark... there is no much detail there...

About symmetry, I think it fails a bit... I would consider to center the picture straight in the middle of the king and queen... for me it seems that the picture is centered based on the queen position...

I find your picture a bit passive... I agree with Bob about taking the picture from different angle...

Irma.

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

This hard black line is because of a foldable chess-table. I couldn't find any other.
But I'll try to take the shot from a different angle.

Thanks to everyone. Smile

I like the concept, and I have seen shots simiar to this before. I am wondering if some soft lighting (not flash) from an angle off to each side of the chessboard would help to show a little more detail of the pieces. I think the key, if you try that, is to make sure you dont get any glare off of the board itself.

Chris

XeoX Wrote:This hard black line is because of a foldable chess-table. I couldn't find any other.

I thought so... I have a chess set the same as that one... I really don't know how to avoid that problem... but I think taking the picture from another angle that line might even help in your composition...

Good luck Smile

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

Great shot. Love the refections. Smile

Sit, stay, ok, hold it! Awww, no drooling! :O
My flickr images

I think it's a very beautiful shot, Xeox. Love the reflections and everything is very nice, neat and clean. Everyone has already mentioned the line in the foldable chess board, but I guess we have to work with what we've got eh? I think the 3rd pawn from the left looks a bit busted too... did the dog chew it or something? Big Grin

Maybe a bit of photoshopping and cloning might help?

shuttertalk Wrote:I think the 3rd pawn from the left looks a bit busted too... did the dog chew it or something? Big Grin

Oh, I haven't noticed it. :o Now, when I turn my attention on it, it looks TERRIBLE! :x
When I do my next shot, I'll try to do sth about this problem.

Thanks, mates. Smile

A little late, but may I add that this picture is somewhat painful for people who do actually play chess? It's because the order, in the base line, from outside to inside is rook, knight, bishop. You confused the positions of the knights and the bishops, it seems to me. I didn't realize it the first time I saw the picture, but I disliked it and now I even know why. Smile

Gallery/ Flickr Photo Stream

Reality is for wimps who can't face photoshop.

Hehe I didn't realise it before... good pickup, G. Big Grin

well Xeox, I think the reflections, the DOF and the overall shapes and tones work nicely together. Smile
I like the concept behind the image, and its definately worth experimenting and perhaps trying out a few more ideas as well.

I'd agree that the points brought up by the others are all valid, but to me they are fairly minor and didn't detract from the image for me at all until I looked closely. The image stands up well as it is, and you could tell people that you swapped the bishops and knights and made the pawn crooked as deliberate ploys to see if people were paying attention Big Grin

Adrian Broughton
My Website: www.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
My Blog: blog.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
You can also visit me on Facebook!
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Einstein.