Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

First pictures

Hi All,

I am new here, and also rather new to photography.
As you can see, my cats are my most willing subjects at the moment. I need to venture out more!

The pictures are of the same cat. The first picture turns out to be too 'yellow' (wb settings?).
But I just like the pose on that one.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

[Image: Kitty.jpg]

[Image: Mario_2.jpg]

Thanks,
Lucy

Hey Lucy... welcome to Shuttertalk, and thanks for posting those pics of your lovely cat. We've got a few cat lovers here, so I'm sure you'll feel right at home. Smile

I think shooting pets is a great way to get started in photography.

In terms of critique, I really like the first photo - the close framing/cropping works really well, and the pose and eyes are just stunning. You feel like you're staring right into its soul... (or is it the other way round?? Big Grin) I think the quality of light is great as well - I find the "yellowness" nice as it brings a warming effect to the picture.

I'm not that fond of the 2nd one probably because it looks like it's been out on the town drinking, or something like that. Big Grin

I think they're great pics. I agree with Shuttertalk about the second. You feeding that cat booze? Big Grin
Welcome to Shuttertalk. Smile

Sit, stay, ok, hold it! Awww, no drooling! :O
My flickr images

Welcome Lucy - the first picture is nicely composed and I also find the colour quite pleasing.

Canon stuff.

Hi Lucy!!
Glad you decided to pop out of the woodwork!!

the first shot looks slightly soft to me, but I love the yellowness, it gives it a really late afternoon sun feel to it.
I like the little fang hanging out in the second shot too and his eyes are just super, tack sharp, well done!

Canon 350D with Speedlight 580EX flash
EFS 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 II, EF 90-300mm f/4.5-5.6 USM, EF 50mm f/1.8

http://www.inspired-images.com.au

Yep, welcome! I agree with Schell; also, the second shot has uniqueness and interest that raises it above the "stock" kitty photos one usually sees. "Fangs" for this.(sorry)

All my stuff is here: www.doverow.com
(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

Welcome to shuttertalk Smile

Hello everyone,

Thank you for the nice welcome.
And thanks heaps for the feedback. They are much appreciated.

shuttertalk, Petographer, I think it was feather wand that made him looked like
he was drunk on the second photo Smile

Schellamo, you're right in saying that this is one of the friendliest forums...

lucy

Hi and welcome!
I like both of your pictures a lot, and your cat looks nice.

#2 is my favorite, you chose a very nice perspective and it is more exciting to me than #1. the showing tooth gives your pet a lot of character.
#1 I might have cropped slightly at the bottom of the picture.

I really think they are both good, keep on shooting and posting!!

What equipment are you using?

uli

Thanks Uli.

I use Canon 350D.

I will post more photos. Some of which will be, of course, cats Smile

I just wanted to say hello Lucy, as I'm new on these forums too. I joined yesterday or the day before and have posted a few photos already. I'm keen to post all my better photos but don't want to turn it into a long list of my photos and nobody elses. Smile I like the cats, they've both come out crisp and clear and I like the expression on the second one.

Geoff.

I think I was not here when you posted this pictures Lucy... They are really lovely... the last one is gorgeous... Smile

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

OK! It's in critique, so thats what you will get.
#1 His right eye (left as I look at the pic) looks to be over lit/exposed. And I would prefer a greater depth of field. Stopping down a bit will increase it.
#2 Is sharp, looks to be exposed correctly and looks more natural.
Colours can be fiddled with, in a lot of editing programs if you prefer a different overall shade.
Mean looking hombre.Big Grin
They are both pretty good, no junk in the background etc. so smile Smile

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by nia
Jan 4, 2011, 07:56