Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

linux anyone

Hi everyone

is anyone runs linux in their pc?

Im dying to know a little a bit more about it...what is the big deal? sorry im totally clueless about it.

does anyone knows any links where i can read?

can i dowloaded the os? i was thinking in partition the hard drive and install xp and linux red hart and have two bootable os.

my purpose is to learn a bit and see what is all about.

thanks

christian

plenty on offer with linux. i have had experience with both redhat and debian. personally i like debian better. but thats my preference.

hi

why? what is the difference?

thanks

I've only tinkered a little bit with linux... I tend to prefer the interface and applications you get with Windows though, but they say linux is more powerful and suited to those who want total control over their machine. I already work on HP UNIX machines at work, so I don't see the need for more geekiness in my life when I get home... Big Grin

There are different distributions of linux - mostly because it's open source, so there are lots of branches and distributions. Yes, you can download most of them - if you want to just have a look-see I'd suggest getting a distribution that can boot off cd or usb key - such as knoppix (you sometimes see these on covers of pc magazines). That way you can just insert a cd and boot straight off it, instead of setting up partitions and boot loaders etc.

More info here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Lin...tributions

I'd say stick with Windows.

Although linux has come forward in leaps and bounds lately it is still nowhere as user friendly as a windows box.
If you do want to check it out though download ubuntu. They offer a live version which runs off the CD so you can test it out. You can download the Live CD here. (Links directly to the ISO which is about 600mb)

Hope that helps! Smile

Muzza

"The goal is not to change your subjects, but for the subject to change the photographer." -Anonymous

hi

thansk, much appreciated.

christian

Linux with wine makes a semi usable windows alternative. Linux real strength is web servers and game servers. I used to run a couple of dozen game servers on linux machines.

yeh my main use with linux is HTPC and servers. As said before, depending on what you are going to do Linux is sometimes the hard alternative. Either way have a look, it can be a lot of fun.

I'd certainly never consider Linux for a working desktop.

hi craig

may i ask why not? so...... it is not like windows nt or 2000 or xp pro? im just trying to figure out why people like it so much. whats the diference with xp pro and linux?

thanks

I think the main difference is the target audience - windows is definitely aimed and marketed towards consumers, and it focuses on ease of use. Because the consumer base is broader as well, you get the support of large software vendors who spend big bucks developing software to make their lives easier. Think photoshop, microsoft office, other productivity software etc. The alternatives in the linux world pale in comparison (although openoffice is very good, I must say).

Linux is developed traditionally by hardcore users, for hardcore users. Sure, they may have nice skinned desktops and front-end GUIs, but underneath all that you still need a pretty good knowledge to take advantage of the power of the low level stuff.

One metaphor or analogy I can probably use is with cars - you can go out to a car dealer and buy a family sedan with all the trimmings, luxury leather seats, sunroof etc. It doesn't beat a porche at the lights, but it sure is comfy. That's windows. Or you can buy a second hand car, work on it and customise it in your garage and make it go from 0 to 100 in 3.6 seconds. Linux is sorta like that - fast, stable, powerful, but may not be everyone's cup of tea.

thanks..

hi

i found this site...http://www.linuxiso.org/index.php

has all the linux os for download

hope help someone.

byeeeee

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by dewy
Jul 22, 2004, 03:32