Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Hand-colouring b/w photos in Photoshop

Thanks for the kind words.. It was a fantastic photo to start with, so all I had to do was not muck it up!
It isn't perfect by any means, and it does lose much of the charm of the original, but for me, it instantly transports me back 60 years and I can really imagine being at my grandparent's wedding... something that was more difficult to imagine with the original image.

Cailean, I read the tip in the book "Digital Photography" by Michael Wright (old fashioned paper I'm afraid... copy/paste doesn't work without real scissors and glue).

Here's a link to the book on Amazon.com
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/det...ce&s=books

I bought it on special from a local bookstore, and I haven't read a lot of it, but it seems like one of the better practical books on how to use photoshop and photoshop elements. Not perfect by any means (I think the amazon reviews over-rate it a bit), but in a sea of rubbish photoshop books, this is one of the better ones I've seen. This tinting technique is probably the best tidbit I've gleaned from it so far, but it has a lot of useful techniques and "recipies", and explains them well with LOADS of screenshots which work well.

As for the technique itself.. well, I didn't actually change colour modes using the Image->Mode menu (ie I stayed in RGB)... I changed the layer mode to "Color" (select the layer and use the drop-down list in the layers window), and also the brush mode to "Color" (select the brush tool and then change the "mode" drop-down in the top tool-bar to "color").
Make sure you are painting on the new layer, not the original.

And with regards to skin, yes you will need to use several (many) subtle colours for it. I find (for caucasians anyway) that the skin generally goes yellower in the highlights, and redder in the shadows. Paint it all one colour, and then go over it with a soft-edged brush with different colours where necessary. Also, cheeks and lips are pinker than other skin.
Don't forget to colour the eyes (including the whites), and lips and teeth - they make a big difference. Colouring with grey can have a dramtic whitening effect.

I'm putting together a "proper" little tutorial with several screenshots of the process, so if you can wait a bit longer then I'll let you know when its ready Smile

Cheers
Adrian

Adrian Broughton
My Website: www.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
My Blog: blog.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
You can also visit me on Facebook!
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Einstein.

Messages In This Thread
Hand-colouring b/w photos in Photoshop - by Toad - Mar 21, 2005, 15:02
Hand-colouring b/w photos in Photoshop - by Kombisaurus - Mar 22, 2005, 01:11

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post