Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

I'm having trouble seeing any proof of Image Stabilization... help!

Thanks ShutterTalk, I have many questions. I appreciate the experience others share and having crossed the threshold into this forum I look forward to receiving answers and possibly offering a tip here and there.

Currently, I have set up a small makeshift kitchen studio in an effort to shoot smoke streams for a class project. I found it very necessary to take a college curriculum course entitled "Photography 1" with 80% emphasis on Photoshop CS5. I've listed the equipment I have and use in the "What camera?" postings.

Regarding the final project, I chose smoke streaming since the professor told me pans and/or time lapse were not challenging enough for my level. And yes, I do enjoy shooting both. These smoke stream shots are hit and miss at best. Getting smoke in the right place with respect to aperture and positioning the off camera flash without backdrop flashes is a real challenge. In addition, the room is totally dark and the backdrop is jet black.

I am tripod mounted, IS off, in both portrait and landscape modes using my Canon 24-105mm F4L IS USM. I'm handholding the 580 EX II flash @ 1/128 power to illuminate the streams in motion, again hit and miss. I actually need a third arm to manipulate the flash, smoking stick and remote control cord. If anyone has any advice for aiding in successful shots please post. My test shots were OK just not what I wanted. I experimented with colored gels on the flash and see some evidence but nothing spectacular. Any advice?

I am, therefore I shutter!

Messages In This Thread
I'm having trouble seeing any proof of Image Stabilization... help! - by photohobo024 - Apr 25, 2011, 05:26

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Jocko
Jan 19, 2016, 07:59
Last Post by EdMak
Nov 24, 2014, 14:03