Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

How many Pelicans

Fishing boat wreck ..Princess Royal Harbour ...contrast may look a tad on the low side.. but...the day was overcast..Colin

[Image: wreck-2_filtered.jpg]

Gone all digital

Pelicans. Aren't they cool? Big Grin I can't tell how many there are.

Sit, stay, ok, hold it! Awww, no drooling! :O
My flickr images

You love your pelicans don't you? Big Grin

I'm thinking perhaps a closer crop might bring out the subject more in the frame - there's quite a bit of dead space in there, especially with the sky.

Who doesn't love pelicans?

Yeah, you can never have too many pelicans, haven't I heard that before somewhere???

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Love the shot, soft focus in the background makes the main subject jump off the page, perhaps a little more sharpening will make it jump a little more. :/

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm
not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein

Very cool Col,

You picked a great moment to snap this shot.
Lots of pelicans, but the way they are sitting in a kind of repeated pattern (along with the space around the wreck) make the photo not look too busy. That single pelican poking its head up is really great... and the way it is the only thing crossing the horizon is also a really nice way to draw attention to it and show the viewer what all the other birds would look like if they stood up.

I don't agree with ST about the dead space... I think it works nicely to give it a sense of space around the boat and isolation in the water.

But... if it were my image then I might experiment with photoshopping in a touch of texture to the sky. This can still maintain the sense of space around the birds but make the sky more than just "dead space".
Here is an example of a flat overcast sky (almost identical to yours) that I tried to make a bit more dramatic in this way... ironically it is also a pelican photo.

But having said that, I think that any changes made to the sky should be quite subtle to prevent it dominating the image and detracting from the pelicans....
After all, the shot is great exactly as it is.

Adrian Broughton
My Website: www.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
My Blog: blog.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
You can also visit me on Facebook!
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Einstein.

Kombisaurus Wrote:Very cool Col,

You picked a great moment to snap this shot.
Lots of pelicans, but the way they are sitting in a kind of repeated pattern (along with the space around the wreck) make the photo not look too busy. That single pelican poking its head up is really great... and the way it is the only thing crossing the horizon is also a really nice way to draw attention to it and show the viewer what all the other birds would look like if they stood up.

I don't agree with ST about the dead space... I think it works nicely to give it a sense of space around the boat and isolation in the water.

But... if it were my image then I might experiment with photoshopping in a touch of texture to the sky. This can still maintain the sense of space around the birds but make the sky more than just "dead space".
Here is an example of a flat overcast sky (almost identical to yours) that I tried to make a bit more dramatic in this way... ironically it is also a pelican photo.

But having said that, I think that any changes made to the sky should be quite subtle to prevent it dominating the image and detracting from the pelicans....
After all, the shot is great exactly as it is.

Thank for the link Kombo.. not that's really beaut picture..Col

Gone all digital

All your other guys many thanks for your kind comments.. and as for pelican pictures ...don't think you could ever have enough...

Gone all digital

Great shot! To me it looks as if the pelicans sank the boat just by sitting on it. Big Grin If this were the case, you actually can have too many pelicans!

Gallery/ Flickr Photo Stream

Reality is for wimps who can't face photoshop.

I also agree with Kombi on the dead space issue - I like it with the wide crop - it makes the shot - and everybody here knows that I generally advocate tight crops.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post