Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Nice of the Niece?

Whatdyareckon?

In my front room:

[Image: CRW_8193alphadone.jpg]

Cave canem

Nice!

I think the expression on her face and also her printed Tshirt works really well to give her that sort of "attitude"...

Very cool Roo... Big Grin

hi

very nice expresion on her eyes...saying that...i think your flash was just a bit too strong if you see her left eyes has red eye and her nose has a slight shadow.
comment: i hate the fashion to wear swimming costume under a t-shirt.

who is she?...has a lot of potential.

thank you for sharing

christian

Nice looking Girl Ruf... and she just exudes attitude! Good shot.

byrt_001 Wrote:think your flash was just a bit too strong if you see her left eyes has red eye

Byrt....I think maybe you need to get your monitor checked out. I can't see any red-eye on here, and I've just looked at the original via our home network and checked it out - there definitely isn't any!! Smile

--NN

Actually, sorry to be the bearer of bad news... I can see is as well. Left eye, bottom left corner. Sad

And mine is calibrated... haha.

Love her attitude though. It screams.,.. "bring it on"!

Nos an modica tantum nostri somnium
"We are limited only by our imagination"

Ummm, listen up guys......... Here's a crop of the original.

Put a ring round the red-eye for me 'eh? :x

[Image: where.jpg]

Cave canem

jericho Wrote:Actually, sorry to be the bearer of bad news... I can see is as well. Left eye, bottom left corner. Sad

And mine is calibrated... haha.

Love her attitude though. It screams.,.. "bring it on"!

....Hmm don't know what's going on as BOTH of ours are calibrated regularly and we can't see it on either of them.

This is fine photography, briliantly sharp and evenly lit as far as I can tell. But there is something stringy about the model which keeps this in the realm of a snapshot. She needed preparation. Hair is too straight and drops dead at her shoulders. The t-shirt and accessories look too every day.

Nikon D3100 with Tokina 28-70mm f3.5, (I like to use a Vivitar .43x aux on the 28-70mm Tokina), Nikkor 10.5 mm fisheye, Quanteray 70-300mm f4.5, ProOptic 500 mm f6.3 mirror lens. http://donschaefferphoto.blogspot.com/

Ok Don. I admire your courage and appreciate your positive comments. Smile

Regarding the "model", yes; she's the stringiest in town without any doubt. :o

The t-shirt is her prized possession, which she repeatedly told me cost £16. To her this is a fortune........... :o
Actually, she went into a bar last week, and was mistaken for a drinking straw. :o
The week before, she was listed as "missing", but had, in fact, merely turned sideways. Big Grin
I think perhaps I shall warn her of the dangers of anorexia and straight-haired-ness, and fire her before there's any trouble. Wink

Cave canem

Ps
Do you see red-eye???????

Cave canem

And she's nervous and only 14! Smile

I think she did a great job... should be proud! Big Grin

Very nice looking girl she is Ruf. I think the photo is great. You did a fantastic job and so did she with the pose. Right on!!! We are offering critique on the merit of the image are we not? So the straightness of her hair and the type of dress she chooses has nothing to do with the critique at hand. Well done dog. Wink As far as the mentioned red eye, I do see a second catch light that in the first one looks like a purple spot. On the crop it is clearly a catch light. May I suggest to clone it out?

Funny skinny jokes Ruf. Ask her if she needs to run around in the shower just to get wet or wear ski's so she doesn't go down the drain. Big Grin

Sit, stay, ok, hold it! Awww, no drooling! :O
My flickr images

hi

i have siad before that i have rented a very oooolllddddd monitor so my colours are not 100 %. sorry about that my mistake. i totally apologise, im extremely sorry, i hope you forgive me? i just me been fussy.

but this is what i was talking about

[Image: redeye.jpg]

regards

christian

Everything is fine except for the shadow from her nose - as Christian pointed out.

Canon stuff.

Ruf,

I can see what appears to be purple in the eye. Definitely not noticeable unless you look for it.

PS. I rather like the shot... stringyness and all. Big Grin

[Image: 27_CRW_8193alphadone.jpg]

Nos an modica tantum nostri somnium
"We are limited only by our imagination"

Her costume and hairdo fit perfect her age. I like it. Smile

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

Maybe it's just some red in the background reflecting off her eyes... Big Grin

Nono, no apology necessary folks........ Hmmm... Apart from Jerry that is Big Grin
Jerry man, that's her RIGHT EYE!!!!!!!!! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

I do have one or two more. I'll post a couple.......

Yes, critique is FINE, but please, in case the youngster sees this forum in the future, dont critique the girl herself! She aready believes that she's ugly! :/
Mind ewe, that's teenagers for you, I guess. :|

Cave canem

I really like this shot Ruf, I love photos which capture a persons personality and I think you've done that well here. Her pose, outfit and the light I think all contribute. I'd like to see it in B&W, as I sort of think the blue backdrop doesn't quite complement the subject- it sort of clashes with her t. shirt and her 'look' KWIM? Thats just my personal taste though, which is of course completely objective.

She's a gorgeous girl, and I'm horrified that she thinks her self ugly!! :o

Canon 350D with Speedlight 580EX flash
EFS 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 II, EF 90-300mm f/4.5-5.6 USM, EF 50mm f/1.8

http://www.inspired-images.com.au

I didn't notice the second catchlight until it was pointed out. It's a good shot: nice tones and complementary background; you've brought out an "inner sharpness" of the subject by getting her eyes well. I'd add 2 lights: a touch of top spot of around a third of a stop; also a diffused one from the RH side to eliminate shadows around nose and on her t-shirt. Her hair is great and natural; the colours all work together. In fact, the pendant carries a really cool motif, linking colours/tone of her eyes, earring and the actual motif on her shirt. This linking in itself adds resonance to any suggestion of the subject's character: the "feel" of the eyes is reinforced by the visual link to the t-shirt motif. Clever and subtle shooting, my canine friend!

All my stuff is here: www.doverow.com
(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

Very nice shot Rufus.

I second what everyone says about her expression - it is a great "teenager" shot that seems to show both the sweetness/innocence and curiosity of a child with the attitude/rebeliousness of an adolescent... Which is pretty much the kind of transformation a lot of kids go through at age 14 I guess. :/ The casual T-shirt I think also works well to reinforce this.

As for the red-eye.. bah.. Tongue I saw the RED DOT and 1 second later had forgotten about it. It is clearly a slightly-red catchlight, but it doesn't really matter one way or the other. Did you also check your horizon? Wink I think perhaps it isn't quite straight! Tongue Big Grin Big Grin

But... the strong shadow behind her nose does bother me a little as Christian mentioned.
Also as it is a deliberately posed shot, I am going to be very picky about the pose you had her in. Generally I think it's great (especially her expression), but for my tastes I think she is perhaps just a tiny bit too side-on. I keep wanting to turn my monitor about 5 or 10 degrees so that her left eye (on the right of picture) is fully visible instead of just peeking out from behind her nose.
Also I'm not sure about the way her hair falls around her ear - its a bit distracting I think. I don't think completely hiding her ear would work, but certainly covering up the top-left tip of her ear would improve it, and possibly making her earring a bit more visible. But I do really like the way her hair falls around her face and I really am nit-picking now. You can always photoshop it afterwards anyway.

Sorry to be picky. I know that with my own portraits I never seem to notice things like this at the time.. but I guess I never will notice them unless I get in the habit of looking for them, so here I am looking!

Do as I say, not as I do! Tongue

Disclaimer: I know nothing about portrait or studio photography, but I'm happy to give advice on anything no matter how little I know about it! Wink

Adrian Broughton
My Website: www.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
My Blog: blog.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
You can also visit me on Facebook!
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Einstein.

.........................But... the strong shadow behind her nose does bother me a little as Christian mentioned.
I agree. It's just not quite balanced is it? Mind ewe, this is my front room and two hot-shoe flashguns!!!

Thanks for the opinions and perspectives.... Very helpful, and much more the type of critique I wanted and expected, (take note all you pixel-peeping people!!! Big Grin ).

Cave canem

Here's another;
[Image: sttrtk.jpg]

Cave canem

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by MrB
Jan 9, 2016, 08:38
Last Post by Rabid Penguin
Aug 26, 2007, 00:46
Last Post by Rufus
Nov 10, 2005, 03:37