Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Portraits

After looking at so many beautiful potraits posted in the forum I thought I should give it a try taking some portraits... I talked with Swantje about a little project a she kindly accepted... so G and I went out to take pictures...

I am happy with what I got in my first attempt in this field of photography. However, I can see that there is a lot of room for improvements.

Any comment or advice you would like to give, it will be very welcome Smile

[Image: DSC_2205-01Sw1.jpg]

[Image: DSC_2227-01Sw2.jpg]

[Image: DSC_2286-01Sw3.jpg]

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

Great shots Irma, what a lovely model.

You have done a great job.

All thats missing for me is some catchlights in her eyes , to make them more alive.

Other then that, they are great.

Thanx for sharing these.

Kindest

/P.L

Strives to make photos instead of taking them...

Yes you are right... light in her eyes is missing... Thanks for your comment and advice Paul Smile

Paul Cezanne

As Irma mentioned already, I've been there too. Smile

Brushing

[Image: 05_11_05_img_6357-01.jpg]

Taleban Style

[Image: 05_11_05_img_6385-01.jpg]

Again Taleban Style, but more processing...

[Image: 05_11_05_img_6385-01drs.jpg]

Playful

[Image: 05_11_05_img_6487-01.jpg]

Gallery/ Flickr Photo Stream

Reality is for wimps who can't face photoshop.

Few days ago I changed some settings in my camera to enhance the colors... And it is working beautifuly, it is giving me very nice bright colors... Anyway I wanted to try some B&W conversion with some pictures....

[Image: DSC_2212-01Sw4.jpg]

[Image: DSC_2300-01Sw5.jpg]

[Image: DSC_2275-01Sw6.jpg]

Paul Cezanne

We made her do some funny things, too... Big Grin

[Image: 05_11_05_img_6426-01.jpg]

Gallery/ Flickr Photo Stream

Reality is for wimps who can't face photoshop.

These are fun poses and good shots. Lovely model too! Smile

Irma Wrote:I am happy with what I got in my first attempt in this field of photography. ...
Any comment or advice you would like to give, it will be very welcome Smile

You should be very happy with your results. They are super. But since you are asking for comments ... the first thing I noticed (before reading Paul's comment) was the lack of light in the eyes. Invest in a cable (or wireless system) to trigger a small off-camera flash and you'll really open up the possibilities.

Thanks a lot for your comment Mitch... We are planning to do it again when it is snowed... I will be prepared and remember your adivice Smile

Paul Cezanne

hi

it looks like you too have fun, which is very important. very good work you too!

irma i think you have done your best work, i really like what you have done, i just love the first one. just take it easy with the diffuse glow but that just me.

Guerito, love your last shot

regards

christian

Hey, it's the most photograhped model on these forums! Big Grin

Great work Irma and G - the photos look absolutely fabulous, and Swantje is stunning too - especially with the prep and posing you've put her through.

My favourites are:
- Irma's first shot - love the mysterious look
- G's brushing pic - very sophisticated side profile
- G's playful pic - the smiling eye says it all

Well done both - some fantastic pics which I'm sure both the photographers and model would be happy with.

hi

i was just looking at the models smile and looks like a bit like irma's smile any relation? sorry maybe i miss some old post?

regards

christian

Thanks ST and Christian...

Christian, Swantje is my neighbour's daughter... Here is a picture with her Mum and grandma taken this summer...

You are right about the diffuse glow Christian... It is so easy to get stuck in that effect...

It was very interesting to take these pictures... and post process them! To me the most difficult ones were... #2 because of the hard shadow under here eye at the left of the picture, and #6 because it had a very dark face and I had to lighten it up a lot without touching much her hair..

Paul Cezanne

Fantastic work Irma and G. You might want to convince her to persue modelling. She is very pretty. I agree with the lighting suggestions.

Sit, stay, ok, hold it! Awww, no drooling! :O
My flickr images

I like the portraits without the processing more than those with. Your composition is great and the model is lovely. Please don't guild the lilly. (some one to talk eh?)

--Don

Nikon D3100 with Tokina 28-70mm f3.5, (I like to use a Vivitar .43x aux on the 28-70mm Tokina), Nikkor 10.5 mm fisheye, Quanteray 70-300mm f4.5, ProOptic 500 mm f6.3 mirror lens. http://donschaefferphoto.blogspot.com/

Irma, nice photos especially the first one, lovely model Wink

hi irma

i think n1 is very good, as to the shadow problems try in photosh...under image- udjust-shadow/highlight.

examples

[Image: 6_DSC_2227-01Sw2.jpg]

[Image: 98_DSC_2275-01Sw6.jpg]

hope it helps

regards

christian

Room for improvement? Where???

Although I rarely see people taking portrait shots in landscape format the framing works for almost all of them.

These are fantastic!
Reflectors can sometimes make nice catchlights too...

Canon 350D with Speedlight 580EX flash
EFS 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 II, EF 90-300mm f/4.5-5.6 USM, EF 50mm f/1.8

http://www.inspired-images.com.au

Lovely work Irma and I like what Christian did as well.

Canon stuff.

Thanks a lot for your comments Smile

Christian, Thanks a lot for your advice. I hardly ever use the shadow/highlight adjustment. I think it takes away a lot of detail... perhaps I don't know well how to use it. I will give it a try, I like what you did.

Paul Cezanne

I can't believe I haven't commented on this thread - I have followed it closely. Really excellent work -poses, DOF - everything. My personal favorites are #1 and #2 of Irma's - also Taleban Style (un-processed) and Playful of Guerito's.

Great work both of you!

P.S. Christian's first example is also very well done - although I personally prefer Irma's softer - somewhat darker version - as it seems more in keeping with the pensive pose.

Thanks Toad for your comment....

She just said G, she was looking forward to the next session... and I am already thinking in the next project... I would love to do it in the city or an old building...

Paul Cezanne

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Jeffbridge
Sep 3, 2015, 08:55
Last Post by alessya
Feb 12, 2013, 03:19